VOGONS

Common searches


english, the planetary language

Topic actions

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was searching stuff on banggood and I read stuff like that "Very popular among the electronic lovers" that made me realise the chineses are making effort to talk in english. I live in french Canada where people would immolate themself for to we speak french. I think many people on this forum must be from the european side and english is not your default language.

What would be your thought about the entire planet earth speak in english?

Reply 2 of 168, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

English has become the language of commerce, in the same way that Greek was the common language in the ancient world (the reason the New Testament was written in Greek), and Latin a little later on.

However, I don't see how making everyone learn and speak English would be very cost-effective.

I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.

Reply 3 of 168, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why do we need a planetary language if there's Intercosmo ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 168, by Errius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We're very close to human-like realtime computer voice translation. When that arrives, you'll be able to speak to anyone anywhere regardless of language. It's going to be interesting.

It won't involve a fish in the ear though.

“Your mission is to attack and destroy the Apple Computer manufacturing plant. You are allotted 35 bombs and 60 lasers."

Reply 6 of 168, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

English is simply the international language of so many fields and has been for quite some time. It is the modern day Latin. It is the most widely spoken language and is not uncommon for two non-native English speakers to communicate with each other in English since it is the one language that they share. It is not something planned, just the way things turned out. The fact that the internet has created international communities and there has to be a common language has only emphasized this fact.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 168, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote:

What would be your thought about the entire planet earth speak in english?

I find English as rather limited, having too much exceptions, redundant constractions. Also some phonemes are not well distinguished from others and hence are not comfortable to use. From the history it seems the English was created as the mix and simplification of rather different languages, what happened not long ago enough to polish its qualities.
The best way would be to use artificial language without problems of spontaneously made traditional languages.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 8 of 168, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is one cool thing about English, though, which I have not noticed until a few years ago (when it was pointed out to me).

A lot of the most common words are very short, single-syllable. It makes it a lot easier that you don't have to remember where the stress goes, and it makes writing/typing faster.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 168, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

English is one of the most fucked up languages. what you write has absolutely nothing to do with what you say. Even ancient egiptian is easier as the drawings at least resemble what you talk about.
Lots of russians, ukrainians and belarusians learn Polish like crazy. It takes the a year to speak fluently. In Polish you type what you hear.
Polish is the future.

Reply 10 of 168, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote:

English is one of the most fucked up languages. what you write has absolutely nothing to do with what you say. Even ancient egiptian is easier as the drawings at least resemble what you talk about.
Lots of russians, ukrainians and belarusians learn Polish like crazy. It takes the a year to speak fluently. In Polish you type what you hear.
Polish is the future.

Serbian is also like that. Write as you speak. It's funny when you see how they write foreign names 🤣

My Amibay: SALE | BUY - Updated on 2020-05-25

Reply 12 of 168, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

English was easy for me to learn as I did not study it, I only listened and analyzed why some words are written like they are and with experience came the knowledge of how to correctly construct sentances.
Opposite of that, I still have no idea about half of things in Serbian grammar 😁

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 13 of 168, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This conversation comes up often as most my friends are not native English speakers.
Funniest question I was asked by a French girl who asked if I mind how bad some people spoke English in London. I said it was a small price to pay to be able to travel anywhere in the world to be understood.

Broken/poor English seems to be an easy language to understand compared to others. maybe because English is made up of a mix of other languages?
As long as everyone understands the context grammar isn't worried about so much.
I find Europeans find poor pronunciation, sentence structure much harder to understand. Not from lack of trying, Some of these people are friends, its just that grammar plays a much more important role.

This is only regarding verbal communication. I have no idea about reading/writing! At least for me on line translators can at least help me get my point across, mostly.

Reply 14 of 168, by Errius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hollywood must play a huge role in this. The whole world watches American movies.

“Your mission is to attack and destroy the Apple Computer manufacturing plant. You are allotted 35 bombs and 60 lasers."

Reply 15 of 168, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

As long as everyone understands the context grammar isn't worried about so much.

Yes! How many time I used this argument to my friends about why I prefer english over french. I hate how french people put grammar and "the correct word use" before your message. Append scarcely if ever when talking to english people.

Reply 16 of 168, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Broken/poor English seems to be an easy language to understand compared to others. maybe because English is made up of a mix of other languages?
As long as everyone understands the context grammar isn't worried about so much.

This is one of its traits that helped it become so popular. I've also learned German, Polish and Russian and they are nowhere near as easy to use as English.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 17 of 168, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hate how people put grammar before your message.

Me too, but that comes from the ignorance of the reader, not a lack in language of the writer.
Grammar has nothing to do with the construction of a proper message/question.

People who listen to how you say/write things, instead of what you try to say, are not worth your time, nerve, the message.
Don't bother "getting" to stupid people, they don't care in the first place, screw them...

It should be obvious that the non native speaker is trying his best to convey a message, and the listener should make an effort to understand him.
If the message did not get through clearly, the listener should politely request the speaker to repeat his message or a certain part of it.
This is how it's done in civilized communication circles (Universities, Politics, etc..) across the world for thousands of years.


my important / useful posts are here

Reply 18 of 168, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
James-F wrote:

People who listen to how you say/write things, instead of what you try to say, are not worth your time, nerve, the message.

Generally, it's very true. Except excessively bad grammar or spelling (when applicable, i.e., in written communication) can be quite off-putting and almost involuntarily lower your opinion of the speaker, because it reeks of bad education (even if it may not always be true).

Can you imagine any public figure would get much respect, no matter what their ideas are, if they spoke with the grammar and the jargon of a street thug?

James-F wrote:

It should be obvious that the non native speaker is trying his best to convey a message, and the listener should make an effort to understand him.

My impression is that in most cases, when people understand that the person in front of them is not a native speaker, they tend to be very forgiving, and indeed try to focus on the message instead of the language.

However, there is often low tolerance to native speakers, who should have a good command of the language, and yet don't. Interestingly I myself have a tendency to think quite poorly of people who express themselves in poor language, when it comes to my two native languages (none of which is English). And yet, in English, I do not have this prejudice. I wonder if it's just because it is not my native language, or because it really is special in some way, which makes it come across sort of OK, even when bad structure is used...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 19 of 168, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somewhere I read a sentence like this: Grammar is respect for the reader.
Which means, that you should at least try to write in a good manner so everyone can understand what you mean.
This doesn't mean you are required to write without any mistakes, but punctuation is also part of that, I think.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//