VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bored so im making a random discussion about something you threw out years ago that you really regret like computers, part, game disc's, driver disc's etc

Years ago when i was younger i always thought newer was better so not thinking i tossed out a 16mb voodoo3 3000 agp card (not knowing what glide was) and 3 Packard Bell Legends. Im really kicking my own butt 😒

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 54, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This list will be longer than any other list on here. 🙁

Some big ones:
-every box for every game I bought. If I had the foresight to know their sentimental and real value, I'd be golden.
-a bunch of DOS and early Windows era retro hardware went in the trash when we did an out of state move some years ago. I had no appreciation for anything retro at the time. 🙁 Things like AWE64 Gold, Adaptec PCI SCSI controllers, a bunch of 486 and Pentium I, II and III processors, many graphics cards from the 486-Pentium III era.
-I donated my Apple IIe (complete with monitor, dual disk drives, and Mockingboard) to my old elementary school. Sounds like a great thing, but I did this long after the Apple II was popular with schools anymore. They may have used it a year or two then did their own recycling of it. I should've kept it.
-my first ever DOS PC--Packard Bell Legend 386sx-20.

I went many years in blissful ignorance, not caring that I threw these things out. Late last year, I happened upon Phil's YouTube channel, which led me here, and the retro fever started to rekindle, along with the regret. 😒

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 54, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yea same here Ive been really getting into retro ever since i seen Phil's vids awhile back. i had about 5 of those packard bell legend 486dx ones

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 6 of 54, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I try to avoid throwing anything out, because when I do I always regret it.

One of the few things I ever tossed was a black Dell Trinitron CRT that came with the family's Dimension 8100 (which was also tossed, although not really my fault as I had no part in that decision seeing as I was 8 years old.) It had a gorgeous picture, but I threw it out because it "hurt my eyes". Because I was so used to maxing out the resolution on LCDs, I would always run it at 1600x1200 at 60hz and you can probably tell how that went.

And now I'm still kicking myself because I could never find any decent quality CRT monitors since then. (I have a Compaq but that doesn't count, it's blurry and the picture darkens a lot when displaying white.) It's like they went extinct in my area after that.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 7 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I threw out a bunch of 486 boards years ago (one had the capability of using both 386 and 486 and had motherboard cache. I did keep all the cache chips though and maybe a couple BIOS chips).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 54, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ugh... don't even get me started.

While I'm glad I don't have even more junk that I've dragged around for decades, I could (but no longer) have in my possession:

Tandy 1000HX
Commodore VIC20
Commodore 64 with box, tape drive and lots of accessories
Atari 130XE + IndusGT and tons of games
Intelivision and Colecovision working, with boxes and games
NES, SMS, Genesis, SNES and all the games kept in pristine condition in boxes
Lots of awesome PC hardware that was outdated and gotten rid of one way or another... rarely for much if any money.

... its not like I cry myself to sleep thinking about these things, afterall, they are just "things"... but it does irk me to know that I kept so many other stupid things, packed away in my Mom's attic for far longer, and now I have an interest in the old computers and games again.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 54, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- My first 486 machine (DX2 66MHz with 8MB of RAM; 1993-1994 era ASUS motherboard; Soundblaster 16 with proprietary CD drive which I kept)
- My Apple IIe w/ Apple III green monochrome monitor and a single Disk ][ drive
- Two IBM PC Jrs, including one monitor, a mouse missing its special pad, and wireless keyboard
- A Pentium 166 non-MMX rig with 64MB of ram and a Matrox M3D

I purged most of this around 2008-ish when I was a stupid teenager because I was starting to have a hoarding problem and my parents wanted me to clean the basement. Truth be told, I wasn't big on the PC Jrs, but I still should of resold them at least. The one thing I actually regret getting rid of most is the Apple IIe, since it was such a neat machine. It had a really nice mechanical keyboard and the way the green phosphors on the monitor faded simply looked awesome,

Reply 10 of 54, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I miss my green Apple monitor. 🙁 Aztec looked amazing on it. Although, I ended up using a TV when I could to experience games in color.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 11 of 54, by dogchainx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

box of my DOS games. i usually kept them, but time came from all-powerful MOM to throw them out. Ugh. the horror.

Its cost me about $800 to get my collection back.

386DX-40MHz-8MB-540MB+428MB+Speedstar64@2MB+SoundBlaster Pro+MT-32/MKII
486DX2-66Mhz-16MB-4.3GB+SpeedStar64 VLB DRAM 2MB+AWE32/SB16+SCB-55
MY BLOG RETRO PC BLOG: https://bitbyted.wordpress.com/

Reply 13 of 54, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3dfx voodoo2, or I trash it by mistake or it got stolen, the point is that I dont find it anymore 🙁 ... I dont care about using it anyway, game that use it are so ugly.

I just bought that card second hand for 20 bucks in ~2004 to learn to code in windows C++ 4.5 some 3d, so in between direct3d, opengl and glide, of course, and once again, I just took the right decision....

Reply 14 of 54, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tossed all my old game boxes (DOS era, early windows) around the late 1990's. Kept the game media and manuals but missed the boxes (filled a whole black trashbag).

Oddly I started getting into retro around 2001, so bad timing.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 15 of 54, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, not me, but an old friend of mine...
He borrowed my Commodore 386SX-16 machine because he was working on his own OS kernel, and wanted to have a machine he could experiment with, without having to worry about messing up his own box (this was the pre-VM era apparently).
When I got into oldskool PC democoding again a few years ago, I asked him if I could get the machine back. He told me he threw it out because it didn't work anymore (probably the PSU).
I was pretty miffed about that, because I could probably have fixed it, or at least salvaged various parts, including a beautiful WDC Paradise 16-bit ISA card with 512KB of memory (expanded it myself from the stock 256K).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 16 of 54, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IBM PS/2 model 50, complete with mechanical keyboard and an IBM color monitor. Fuck.

I threw it out about 12 years ago, when model 50s were still a common sight in thrift stores and alleyways. Now they're rare and quite expensive, like the rest of the PS/2 line. Or any 286/386 PC, really. But What hurts the most is that mine was in mint condition. I must've been drunk.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 18 of 54, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

More because of the timing but had a big clear out in my parents garage when I went back to Oz in 2012, got rid of
Working Wang 286 and a 2nd parts PC.
12? Compaq Desk Pro P200MMX, all working
Few other bits like Asus Slocket adaptor.

Within 12 months and back in the UK I got back into old PC's in a big way. None of the PC's had any sentimental value, but now know I could have sold them and I know dad would have sent them to the landfill or at best recycling center 🙁

Reply 19 of 54, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh dear...

- a ~1997 rather large HP Pavilion tower, I think it was a Pentium 233MMX. Notable for having an 8GB Quantum Bigfoot TX 5.25" HDD which I still have.
- a Gateway 386 system which was supposedly not working. It wasn't until much, much later that I found out that the ET4000AX video card it came with and kept after I threw most of the rest of the system back wasn't broken, all it needed were some DIP switches to be set... Also kept the 747-sounding HDD from that system as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a16CSy6Emto
- a 486DX-33 that was a hand-me-down from my dad. First computer I ever remember using. I ultimately wound up buying this to replicate that system.
- probably my biggest regret, my original K6 233MHz tower. The kicker was that it had a Voodoo 4 4500 AGP, which, as many of you know, is pretty uncommon nowadays. Inexplicably enough, I still have the box for that V4 somewhere in my house.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt