VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh I forgot. Before I tossed those 486 boards (perhaps also a few 386 boards), I also had an AT case with LED display and flip power switch and I dismantled it 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21 of 54, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At the turn of the century, I tossed out 100s of PC demo discs from various magazines, dating from the early 90s to early 00s, spanning a decade or so. I've been in the mood to revisit them. Oh well...

Reply 22 of 54, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
j^aws wrote:

At the turn of the century, I tossed out 100s of PC demo discs from various magazines, dating from the early 90s to early 00s, spanning a decade or so. I've been in the mood to revisit them. Oh well...

Some of those even came with full versions of older games. My copies of Duke Nukem 3D, Alone in the Dark, Day of the Tentacle and a few others came from these (probably PC Gamer) cover disks.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 23 of 54, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I once threw out a full tower AT server case that stood like three or four feet tall and it had dual 300w hotswap power supplies (even had a controller to manage both supplies) because I had no room and was moving 😢
Gave a friend one of my 3DFX V3 2K pci years back and he later trashed it.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 24 of 54, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't do it on purpose but a whole case of game boxes got lost when I moved halfway across the country 12 years ago. All my large Half-Life game boxes for sure were in there. Thexder, Sentinel Worlds, and possibly Space Quest 2 as well. I did cut out the front box flaps to my copies of the Space Quest and King's Quest Collector's Series and threw out the boxes at my mother's request. Stupid stupid stupid stupid.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 25 of 54, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1080p plasma screen monitor. All it needed was a new PSU.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 26 of 54, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When clearing out (donating) a large portion of my programming reference books to my local library, I'd accidentally included my copy of "The Unix Programming Environment" circa 1983.

It was in pristine condition too. :\

Reply 27 of 54, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those color coding stickers for the jacks in the Creative Audigy 2 ZS. By the time I realized what they were for, they were gone. Ever since I've been having to struggle trying to figure out which of the golden jacks is for what cable every time I have to unplug and replug something.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 28 of 54, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sold almost for nothing GUS Classic many years ago. I doubt I'd find it significantly useful today, anyway, but as prices have become high it has some value.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 29 of 54, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OH geez. So here we go.

- My first Computer a 486SX33 Build by a local company called Comp&Soft.
-LOTS of old machines. Before I got into the industry I worked for my dad who cleaned offices. I literally pulled 100s of machines out of the trash over a 5 year period. Most of them I ended up re-trashing. Wish I had them now I at least could have sold them to folks who would appreciate them for a reasonable price.
-All my original 3dFX hardware. I had at least one of every chipset 3DFX made. including a pair of Voodoo2s for SLI. They all disappeared at some point No idea where. I've been working on replacing them. Only thing I don't have now is a Voodoo4.
- Asus P2B-DS with 2x P3-850Mhz CPUs. An Entire system actually I believe I trashed it because I just wasn't using it and it wasn't retro yet.
- So, I used to keep all my game boxes but then I ran out of room and I desperately needed to consolidate. My answer was to throw away all the boxes and manuals and keep the Disks. Poor judgement in hindsight. Later on I even though away a ton of games I didn't play anymore. I did keep a number of my favorites, but still lost a lot of good gems.
- My original Slot 1 Athlon. I still don't have one to this day even though I have tons of P3 slots and Socket As.
- Multiple other systems I've passed on to others over the years. Particularly the cases and motherboards. They are replaceable though I just kinda wish I had my Original.
- Packard Bells lots of them. Back in the day I used to hate proprietary and semi-proprietary case and motherboard designs. Looking back at them now however they have a degree of charm and they actually had decent hardware. I don't think they deserved the negative reputation they had with enthusiasts.

Reply 30 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rhuwyn wrote:

- Packard Bells lots of them. Back in the day I used to hate proprietary and semi-proprietary case and motherboard designs. Looking back at them now however they have a degree of charm and they actually had decent hardware. I don't think they deserved the negative reputation they had with enthusiasts.

I can certainly understand this one. I gutted all Packard Bells I ever encountered, but I did keep all of the internals (I only threw out the cases, which I am not regretful about), including the motherboards and I'm glad I kept these.

The cases did have their charm and I still have a few somewhere in the back of my attic (µATX), but their proprietary plugs kept me from using them.

Report spammers here!

Reply 31 of 54, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I kept most of my game boxes but I threw out all the cardboard packing inserts to make them pack down flat. Little did I know those would actually be part of the value. 😜

To be honest I have no interest in collecting boxed vintage games, when I finally get to dealing with all the stuff I have in storage (due to 4 trans-continental moves in 6 years, my storage room is 5000 km away) I'm gonna see exactly what I have and do a big sell-off/giveaway. I'll be glad for this stuff to go to others who are into it. 😀

I *do* kinda regret tossing just about every issue of US PC Gamer from 1995~1999 as those have apparently never been archived online, but they got seriously damaged when the basement of one of my old places flooded (with backed-up *black* water no less.) I could have probably picked out the surviving ones at the top of the crate, but they were biohazards at that point. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 32 of 54, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I regret throwing everything I threw.
And I'm buying it all back.

Tenfold.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 33 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sunaiac wrote:

Tenfold.

That's a lot of regrets! 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 54, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Abit TX7 mainboard, ASUS A7V133 and P4P800SE, some ECS SocketA boards, Voodoo 2 and 3, Diamond Viper V550, GeForce 5200, 5500, and 6200 AGP, 3Ti200, Radeon 2600XT AGP, Mainboard with Pentium II 350, AMD K6-2 500, K6-2 300.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 35 of 54, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
sunaiac wrote:

Tenfold.

That's a lot of regrets! 🤣

You never know what the future has in store 😀
But threefold would have been more accurate 😁

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 36 of 54, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiger433 wrote:

Abit TX7 mainboard, ASUS A7V133 and P4P800SE, some ECS SocketA boards, Voodoo 2 and 3, Diamond Viper V550, GeForce 5200, 5500, and 6200 AGP, 3Ti200, Radeon 2600XT AGP, Mainboard with Pentium II 350, AMD K6-2 500, K6-2 300.

Mind if I ask you why you regret tossing the A7V133?

I worked with quite a lot of those and they were tricky to get working properly and on top of that they were hard getting to run even with Palomino. And they don't have ISA 😜).

Report spammers here!

Reply 37 of 54, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Years ago I have much problems with that board, I can`t even install windows, I tested memory, and was good, but 98 was hanging at beginning of install, when I tried install XP I haved BSODs often. I tried that on two processors, Duron 900 and Athlon 950. Also I haved ABIT KT7 but that board has problems with capacitors and also that board I gived someone. And I really loved ABIT TX7 board, I used it with P133 and Voodoo2 and 64 Mb of RAM and even Unreal Tournament was very smooth there, only Blood 2 little slowing. Someday I recreate that machine.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 38 of 54, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A working Amstrad PCW-8512 (formerly my dad's) with all manuals and a lot of software and 3" discs 😢 + various 486 parts (incl. some Cyrix CPU's) that I still had around 2005 as a student while living with my parents, and we had to move to a smaller place that supposedly didn't have room for that crap. Of course the new house turned out to actually have enough room. 😵

The only things I still have from that time are a Adaptec SCSI-2 ISA card, my retro-PC, and a lot of PC software.