Topic actions

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GOG has a playable demo of the upcoming System Shock remake:
https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 41, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

GOG has a playable demo of the upcoming System Shock remake:
https://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_demo

Oh my!

Can't wait to give that a go.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 41, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great, i just saw an article on this too! Really looks like.... uh well System Shock.

Recommended specs are similar to DOOM, other than an extra 8GB RAM.

GL1zdA wrote:

The Kickstarter is also alive!

OK, the rewards look good... Custom System Shock gaming laptop and the rest.... collector's kit looks great too!

Last edited by archsan on 2016-06-29, 10:07. Edited 1 time in total.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 5 of 41, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried the demo out despite being barely shy of the minimum specs (GTX 660 instead of 670). Had an average framerate between 20 and 30 and I'm fairly impressed for the most part. Most of my complaints are all things which will undoubtedly be tweaked going forwards, though I am somewhat surprised that, given the attention to detail, they somehow swapped the audio channel on the eMail voicework, having it come out of the left speaker when the video representation is shown on the right side of the screen. :P

There were a few other touches I noticed too which I don't think everyone would've. For instance, the bio-monitor is not only working, but is completely in sync with the sound design. If you run around a whole bunch your character starts to pant and you can start to hear his heartbeat... which is synced perfectly with the heartrate on the bio-monitor! Many of the sound effects have also been pulled right from System Shock, though I imagine they're just placeholders for now as some of them sound OK repurposed for this remake, but some don't. Also, I like that you can invert the mouse controls and change sensitivity. That's something you don't always get in pre-alpha or even alpha stuff. :B

One thing I hope they change is how quickly the things you're looking at are identified. As it stands, you have to wait a couple seconds at the minimum for a name to show up, if one even does. I would much prefer that to be near-instant so that you're not wasting time guessing if you'll get any extra info or not.

But yeah, this could end up being the first kickstarter thing I ever back... only because they have a tangible, working product which demonstrates they are very capable of bringing this project all the way through to completion. Also because I'd rather spend $30 on it now instead of however much it's gonna cost when the full game is finished and released late next year... :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 41, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice! Just watching the video demo got me pretty excited. I won't get to play them demo til probably this weekend because my son's gaming rig is the only one powerful enough to run it. My gaming rig is on XP while the demo requires 7 or higher. It runs demanding games from 2008 pretty well, but I doubt, even if the OS wasn't an issue, it could handle this game.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 41, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a month ago, I had the chance to attend a small presentation by Warren Spector, he told us about it but at the time, he wasn't yet sure how to call it. System Shock 3 didn't seem right to him as he thought it would put off people that haven't played 1 and/or 2.
As he was mainly talking about the Ultima games he made and I'm working on Exult (which is the engine remake of Ultima 7, in which he had a big part (Ultima VII part2 that is), my obvious question was whether he plays *any* of his old games. Flat out "NO! But I am playing System Shock 1 for obvious reasons right now!" 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 41, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm very impressed. The attention to detail is quite astounding. Hopefully they can pull this off and continue this level of production quality. My only niggle is they need to bump the texture quality up a bit. I'm sure they will or at least offer the option to do so. Backed!

I think this game could also benefit from VR, so I hope it makes the stretch goal for that.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 9 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

meh, feels like a bioshock in a system shock throwback theme, has low fov and bad modern game tropes (ugh the arm animations and the hitboxes), not optimistic

we'll see. hopefully it doesn't become Interceptor "quality" when finished *shudder*

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 41, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

a month ago, I had the chance to attend a small presentation by Warren Spector, he told us about it but at the time, he wasn't yet sure how to call it. System Shock 3 didn't seem right to him as he thought it would put off people that haven't played 1 and/or 2.
As he was mainly talking about the Ultima games he made and I'm working on Exult (which is the engine remake of Ultima 7, in which he had a big part (Ultima VII part2 that is), my obvious question was whether he plays *any* of his old games. Flat out "NO! But I am playing System Shock 1 for obvious reasons right now!" 😀

The project that Warren Spector is a part of is going to be a new game in the System Shock series, developed by Otherside Entertainment and published by Night Dive Studios. (who acquired the rights to SS2 in 2012 and the series after that)
This demo is for the Kickstarter of a System Shock 1 remake being developed internally by Night Dive Studios themselves.

leileilol wrote:

meh, feels like a bioshock in a system shock throwback theme, has low fov and bad modern game tropes (ugh the arm animations and the hitboxes) not optimistic
we''ll see

The animations when you pick up a key item certainly felt very Bioshock to me as well.
Hopefully it's going to stay faithful to the System Shock games and not end up like Bioshock, but even if it does end up like the Bioshock games, SS1 still exists in its original form (and the Enhanced Edition) and it's the new game in the series by Otherside Entertainment that I'm really excited about.

Reply 11 of 41, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

ah, thanks, I was just thinking I might have made a mistake there..

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 14 of 41, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For those worried that it will turn out a lot like Bioshock... that's not necessarily a BAD thing. Remember that two of the key complaints towards Bioshock were the lack of an inventory and a very linear path to follow to get anywhere in the story. Well, the new System Shock pre-alpha HAS a working inventory system (with placeholder UI graphics) and the nature of the map design and story with System Shock is going to prevent the levels from being as linear as Bioshock's levels.

Having animations of the player's appendages from first person when picking up key items and whatnot was something not often seen when Bioshock first came out, and while it can be a trope now, it's again, not really worth complaining about. The trick is not to overuse them. I can already see people complaining about the regeneration beds for instance. In the original game, you double-clicked it, you got healed. In the remaster, you have to go through a whole bunch of animation before finally getting back on your feet. Thinking about this realistically, since these always were essentially pods you were supposed to climb into, having such an animation makes sense, and furthermore, having such a drawn-out animation encourages the player to not only avoid damage for fear of having to sit through that animation, but also encourages using more healing items, again for the same reason. This doesn't make changes like this BETTER, but it makes them understandable and different and it's ultimately a matter of personal opinion which is preferred, if either.

Besides which, here's a neat thought: We haven't seen what cyberspace is going to be like yet... There were a LOT of scrapped plans with the original game for what these sections were going to be like so it would be neat if the remaster brought some of those ideas back and expanded upon the original map designs for these sections! ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 15 of 41, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope they come out with a properly behaving Linux version and not use the winelib "excuse".

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 16 of 41, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tried the demo and was pleased with what I saw, until it crashed. I could not open some of the doors like the large door outside the medical healing suite and the door that leads to the area where several crewmembers died. I assume those areas are not part of the demo. However, I have an Intel Core i7 4770K and its integrated graphics really are not cutting it, even at 1280x720.

System Shock is a long game. The designers are talking about making a larger game than the original and showed the huge maps for each level. I definitely believe they have the tone right. Even though System Shock is not completely non-linear, there is little hand holding in the original game. Reviewers will undoubtedly complain about the shortcomings of the 22-year old game if there is nothing new to do in it.

Even in the original game you had to wait for the energy and health stations to recharge, so you could not just spam them whenever.

I noticed the poster that Nightdive made for their anticipated NOLF re-release, sadly not to be.

Two days and already 2/3 of its goal, this looks sure to be funded.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 17 of 41, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried it out, gonna back it when my next paycheck comes in 😀

Runs @ around 50 fps no matter whats on screen, I guess my old FX6100 is at its limits.
Still though, they went overboard by listing an FX8320 as minimum 😀

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 18 of 41, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will a retail digital version be available for non KS supporters when the game is released? I would think so but KS promotions can be a bit vague on the subject - at least in the board game side of world they are.

Reply 19 of 41, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

I noticed the poster that Nightdive made for their anticipated NOLF re-release, sadly not to be.

Ahh ... that series deserves not just a re-release, but also a REMAKE! (and movie adaptation while you're at it)

http://kotaku.com/the-sad-story-behind-a-dead … back-1688358811

Forsaken is also in their hands now... (imo that's far more interesting than Turok).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)