VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont really care for them im just curious if any are still in existence every emachines Ive ever gotten for free are all junk cuz of crappy power supply or just plain poop MSI boards.

At more work we have about 10 of them sitting in a corner ranging from celeron 500MHz up to dual core, the one with a celeron did work for a while now it wont do anything.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    Filename
    maxresdefault.jpg
    File size
    512.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    And don't get me started on this sticker
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 27, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Never Obsolete". That's got to rank right up there with Logmein Free "forever".

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 27, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there such a thing as a non-Celeron eMachine? I inherited a crappy s478 MSI board from an eMachine (the logo appeared during BIOS time). Didn't have many 478 boards at the time so tried flashing the original BIOS onto it. Killed the board. Stripped it of most components and it now forms part of an art installation a friend of mine made from random junk.

Most useful eMachines board ever.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 3 of 27, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They had a few low AMD ones, I had one but the power supply took the board.

Reply 4 of 27, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I souped up a 478 Celeron D Emachines a while back EDIT: Just wanted to add that it used a standard AGP-less Intel motherboard. 3.2 P4, 2gb of ddr400 and a 512mb pci Geforce 6200 turned it into a speed demon running XP 😊

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No I don't and in fact I avoided them like the plague when they were new. Now their dotbomb-era awfulness is a guilty pleasure these days and I wish I had their iMac knockoff, though it's probably a non-upgradeable and likely not so durable 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 27, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just remember back when i was younger i bought an emachines for $10 from someone at school it had a tualatin in it and i could not install any windows version except for vista (yuck) it ran like dog crap, I ended up selling it back to the guy for $40 because he was like, cool it has vista. What a dummy 🤣

Reply 10 of 27, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I got another emachines for free today and as plug it in it shoots out sparks in my face and puts the power out in my house.... lovely

Reply 12 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

So I got another emachines for free today and as plug it in it shoots out sparks in my face and puts the power out in my house.... lovely

Emachines was an American thing, right?

Personally, I'd never try to power up any machine that somehow finds its way into my lap, I'd first take it apart and check all parts individually (especially the PSU). Often people will dump their old systems because there's 'something' wrong with it and sometimes the problem is with the hardware.

How would Emachines fare vs the cheaper/budget HPs and Compaqs?
Those OEM budget systems I'd strip for sure, the cases were usually not so practical.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 13 of 27, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked the board over and it looked fine, I guess i should have just hooked a different power supply to it.

Reply 14 of 27, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an eMachines computer right now. I swapped the crappy dual-core Pentium processor in it for my mother's old Core 2 Duo - MUCH better processor. 4GB of memory and a freshly wiped 500GB hard drive and it now runs a natively installed copy of Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Works perfectly fine for me.

Will it play games? Nope. But I don't even try. I have a $3,000 brand new gaming PC with a GTX 980Ti in it for that purpose.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 15 of 27, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^^^Did you swap the power supply?

Reply 16 of 27, by einr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
FFXIhealer wrote:

I have an eMachines computer right now. I swapped the crappy dual-core Pentium processor in it for my mother's old Core 2 Duo - MUCH better processor. 4GB of memory and a freshly wiped 500GB hard drive and it now runs a natively installed copy of Windows 10 Home 64-bit. Works perfectly fine for me.

See? "Never obsolete"!

Reply 17 of 27, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one I got in a lot of other stuff. It was a T3304 Sempron machine with a dead PS and the case has been upgraded to an AM2 build.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 19 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Oldskoolmaniac wrote:

Bestec psu?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder