VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am trying to get to the bottom of why some software I use for photography runs much faster on one of my PCs than on another similar one. Just wondering whether anyone can offer advice. I an NOT interested in other software or hardware, the topic is: what could be causing the issue on MY systems.

The software is Silkypix, a cutdown version comes bundled with a few cameras and I got the Pro upgrade for a reasonable price. Some hate the software, I don't care - it works for me and does what I want in a way that makes sense to me. Purchase gives 2 licences.

I have it installed on:

Vista 64 bit PC:
Phenom II X6 1055, 8gb ddr3, hd4850, a few hard drives [toshiba 1tb x2, samsung 500gb x1]
motherboard: Asrock M3A770de

Windows 10 PC:
Phenom II X4 965, 8gb ddr2, gtx560ti, a few hard drives [all Seagate: 500gb x1, 1tb x2]
motherboard: Gigabyte MA720-US3

So the Vista machine has more cores, slower cpu clock, ddr3, older gpu
and the 10 machine has fewer cores, faster clock, ddr2, faster gpu

Silkypix runs much more quickly on the Vista machine, opening folders and then picking up and displaying thumbnails of photos in it is MUCH slower in 10 than Vista. Today I upgraded to the latest version of the software - Silkypix itself loads faster, but the difference in performance remains.

So, I have downloaded passmark from passmark.com and run on both PCs:

- the Phenom X6 gets about 10% higher score than the X4, but the ddr3 gets 10% lower than the ddr2 - neither seem sufficiently large to explain my observation

- the 1tb hard drives in the 10 pc are much faster than any of the others, and they are where the photos reside on that PC [the photos are replicated between the machines]. The photo drive on the Vista PC comes out as half as fast.

- unsurprisingly the gtx560ti scores about twice what the hd4850 does at 3d graphics but the hd4850 scores about 70% higher than the gtx560ti on 2D tasks [vectors of various kinds, and Windows interface].

So the only possible culprit from this testing seems to be the relatively poor [as measured] 2D display speed of the gtx560ti compared to the hd4850. To test that I'll have to move cards around which I don't really want to do. [My money had been on memory speed and hard drive speed, but both test as faster on the 10 machine.]

I have NOT noticed nothing else odd with performance on the 10 machine, in fact generally it probably seems more responsive that the Vista PC [a lot of that is due to 10 becoming usable more quickly after booting I expect]. There is no lag usually in listing folder contents, for example.

Last edited by ratfink on 2016-07-03, 22:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

So the only possible culprit from this testing seems to be the relatively poor [as measured] 2D display speed of the gtx560ti compared to the hd4850. To test that I'll have to move cards around which I don't really want to do.

Before getting to your quote above, that was going to be my first suggestion. 😀 That seems most likely to be the culprit. Another related possibility is graphics drivers. Maybe the Vista HD4850 drivers are more optimized than the Win10 GTX 560Ti drivers. You're left with, even if you swap cards, you might not get a clear answer if, let's say, the Vista GTX 560Ti drivers are better optimized than the Win10 HD4850 drivers. Sounds like a really annoying problem!

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 15, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing of importance or speciality is being unleased from your card by this software. It will all be down to the parallelism of your machine. ... Cores & Effect.

P.S The min requirements on the website say 1024 x 768 XGA so a bit of a give away o.0. You'll probably get the same performance with a Rage128 in there 😵
http://www.silkypix.eu/developer-studio-pro-7 … 8-bd81144a-47ee

Reply 4 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok so I have tried running Vista on 4 cores using msconfig. Makes it a bit slower but - for example - the thumbnails in Silkypix still load almost immediately I click on a folder, whereas on the 10 machine it's 4-5 seconds before they appear. So whatever is causing this, it's not the number of cores.

Can't find Tom2D, seems the tom's hardware download has been removed 😒 .

Reply 6 of 15, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm. Agree with Aideka, its probably win10 then 🙁. Can you process your RAW's (i.e process one raw some filters or exposure etc and then do the same with the same raw on the other system. Compare how long it takes to do this. It should be similar-ish). If its just the 'import' functionality (i.e previewing the raws before import) which takes time, then this could very well be a standard windows resource used by SilkyPix which has changed some what between the two OS's which has produced this 'hang'. If you are a paying customer, I would open a support ticket/bug with SilkyPix, as I doubt there is much you can do to improve this until ether win10 or SilkyPix sort out the issue, they should be able to isolate what's taking the time unless it only manifests on your PC (which wouldn't be good news as its one of those annoying issues which is out of your hands I'm afraid). Good Luck.

Reply 7 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok - I have batch developed 19 RAW files on each, and the Vista machine was about 10% faster, which is in line with the passmark results. So the problem does indeed seem to be specifically on previewing. I've submitted a ticket to Silkypix. I'll post back if I hear anything.

Thanks for your help 😀

Reply 9 of 15, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows defender is a good point, on my windows 8.1 laptop I have to shut down realtime monitoring sometimes when playing games that have a lot of files. Also, I was playing around with the Silkypix program and used a debugger, the software seems to sometimes call zipfldr.dll functionality when opening folders, what is weird is that I couldn't get it to display files inside of zipfiles anyway. I tried it on windows 7, but had no performance issues here. The image preview starts it's own thread every time you open a folder, and on my dual core i5 with hyperthreading the image preview used about 25% of the cpu power. That leads me to believe that te preview function isn't multithreaded and more cores won't help that part at all.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 10 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deep Thought wrote:

Could it be because Windows 10 includes Defender by default, and you aren't running any kind of anti-virus on Vista?

I'm running Windows Defender on 10 and Microsoft Security Essentials on Vista. Both on recommended settings as far as I know [so real time protection is on].

Edit: I've tested disabling real-time protection in Defender on 10: it seems to makes no discernible difference to the preview lag.

Reply 11 of 15, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

That leads me to believe that te preview function isn't multithreaded and more cores won't help that part at all..

That's not great, this is exactly the kind of process which could leverage threading for great success.

If they haven't threaded this, I wonder if any of it is threaded for multiprocessing. Especially since processing 19 images yields only 10% difference despite 50% more cores ???? That doesn't make much sense to me, even with the clock speed difference?

Last edited by spiroyster on 2016-07-03, 18:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 15, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, after some more testing I have come to conclusion that the software might afterall be threaded even in opening previews. I am not sure what I or the program did differently before. One thing I noticed though, is that the software seems to be loading the previews for 3 pictures at a time, and when those previews are ready, it starts to load more. I have a hunch, that the program automatically looks how many cores you have, and loads the previews on all but one core. That one core is then used on whatever else the software needs done.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 13 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote:

I wonder if any of it is threaded for multiprocessing. Especially since processing 19 images yields only 10% difference despite 50% more cores ???? That doesn't make much sense to me, even with the clock speed difference?

Just to be clear, the Silkypix interface indicates that the images are being processed sequentially, one at a time. Although under Trouble-shooting there is a setting to prevent parallel processing of images [not set on my 10 system, will check Vista but I wasn't aware of it so should be the same]. Perhaps that is about concurrent access of the same image though.

Reply 14 of 15, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sounds like it is threaded to be honest (which isn't surprising).

The reason I asked this was because batch processing a set number of images and examining the time taken *could* give a indication as to what is happening.

Per pixel processing (such as increasing/decreasing exposure or applying a gamut) can be considered mutually exclusive from any other pixel and thus lends itself very well to parallelisation. This isn't as clear cut when applying filters since these tend to consider a region of pixels, and thus requires all pixels in that region to be pre-processed before being included in any filtering. This too can be parallelised but requires more sophisticated scheduling and memory management as race conditions can become more of an issue.

So for a batch process of 19 images, if threading was indeed employed at this stage of the workflow, more cores *should* be obvious, unless it is capped to use a max (say no more than 4) threads, in which case it is multithreaded, but the only difference would be down to the clock speed and not the extra/less number of cores (maybe this is the 10% difference, and the extra 2 core in the hexacore aren't used by SilkyPix? unsure). All this does not even take into consideration OS overhead differences.

Incidentally, the concurrent loading that you see in the import preview could actually be achieved without threading, yet still give the impression of parallelism, but would also mean there is only ever one thread employed for this. Think of it more like multi-tasking than multi-threading.

In short its a rough indication at best, but still perhaps slightly entertaining attempting to try and second guess what's going on 😀

tbh, if it wasn't using as many cores as possible, it probably wouldn't be that competitive with other software (unless its a lot cheaper or free compared to say Lightroom, I have never heard of silkypix before so idk). Sounds like Aideka did some rudimentary profiling to see what might have been taking the time and came across zipfldr.dll. The usage of this makes sense, as it appears this dll is used for querying the contents of a compressed folder, so not surprising this may be done when previewing files or navigating the file system. Couldn't find much in MSDN about it apart from some dated ME/XP-era references to its use, although win 10 obviously still has "Compressed Folder" feature and so it wouldn't surprise me if it still uses zipfldr.dll along the way some how or in its entirety (its certainly there in both System32 and SysWOW64 on my win 10 laptop).

It would appear that's its too low level an issue to try and fix without proper debugging (with symbols, not a "release" build) and so the SilkyPix team will hopefully find out what is wrong, you may get lucky fiddling with settings, or you may not. Still worth perhaps looking at if it pisses you off as, depending on their development cycle, it may some time before you see any response to this in terms of a fix.

Although under Trouble-shooting there is a setting to prevent parallel processing of images [not set on my 10 system, will check Vista but I wasn't aware of it so should be the same]. Perhaps that is about concurrent access of the same image though.

hmmm, this could relate to how many images it's going to work on (multi-tasking), but does sound more likely its going to be the number of threads (multi-threading). I doubt its to do with the access of the same image though, since these programs tend to have 'non-destructive editing' so access to these images isn't regulated. The original raws are probably not touched at all. One way to find out, process a large number of images with it turned on and then turned off and then try to make sense of the difference as you have done already with the other 19 images.

Reply 15 of 15, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, can I just say that I'm very grateful to the time you and Aideka has spent looking at this - it's very kind of you and it's certainly improved my understanding of what might be going on here.

One of the reasons I put up the thread was that I was trying to decide whether there was a way of moving everything to 10 or whether I still needed to run Vista. Looks like the answer is that I do need Vista as for the foreseeable future this display lag is likely to remain in 10.

Thanks!