VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Iam looking for some help here.

I never owned windows 2000 by my self back in the days ,so i dont have the right information in my brain on which official genuine windows 2000 updates where released by microsoft by then.

Iam running windows 2000 sp4 now on my windows 2K gaming build and had some patches installed to get my ATI catalyst version 5.12 graphics driver working.

I had to install this to get the ATI catalyst config menu execute otherwise it wont run.

How To Install .NET Framework 3.0 and 3.5 on Windows 2000

Normally, the .NET Framework versions 3.0 and 3.5 will not install on Windows 2000, however, we have found a way to accomplish this. Carefully follow these instructions.

You must have Windows 2000 SP4 in order for this procedure to work.

1. First, you must have the .NET 2.0 SP2 Framework installed, but before this will install on Windows 2000 SP4, you install this Microsoft patch first (very important):

Security Update KB835732 for Windows 2000

2. Now, you must install the .NET 2.0 SP 2 update because the .NET installer (in the next step) will not run without it:

.NET Frameworks 2.0 SP 2 Update

3. Now you can install this custom utility that installs both the .NET 3.0 and 3.5 Frameworks on your Windows 2000 SP 4 computer:

.NET 3.0/3.5 Installer for Windows 2000

I already did this and the graphics driver works perfectly then..

Iam really curious what security fixes, and patch fixes iam still need to install here.. I know windows 2000 isnt supported anymore by microsoft and there are not comming any new fixing out.. But i still want to patch the system as far as possible to the max.. First i want to go on with the genuine ones, and later i also want to install the unofficial one..

Are the role up updates on only one fixes / security updates after Service pack 4?? Someone that can guide me to the point i want to be..and getting this things done. Iam only want to run windows 2000 software on this system, iam not intrested for running windows xp software on windows 2000 sp4.

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 2 of 7, by Roman78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is an unofficial Service pack 5, I installed that some times, there are next to all official Microsoft Updates, also some unofficial updates, patches and so on.

Just like the Windows98Autopatcher. Everything you need, bust mostly too much...

Reply 4 of 7, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratfink wrote:

there's a rollup, link is on this page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/891861

Was that the only last one available that was a genuine release? Because i also see rollup update 2 and more, but i guess those last two arent official updates?

Iam looking for offline patches so i can use them for future reference on installations.

Roman78 wrote:

There is an unofficial Service pack 5, I installed that some times, there are next to all official Microsoft Updates, also some unofficial updates, patches and so on.

Just like the Windows98Autopatcher. Everything you need, bust mostly too much...

I think i will use that later if it really adds more on fixes and security. Thanks for the input as well.

GL1zdA wrote:

You can still use automatic updates on Windows 2000 SP4:
Re: Question about Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Thanks, i was also looking for this. I red that you need IE6 for this..I installed it (ie6) but cant use the browser it seems... Allthough i can connect to the internet. I dont know what iam missing why my ie6 browser complain about it cant get a connection. Allthough the online automatic updates would be nice, but i prefer the offline files instead.. You never know when it wont work anymore or microsoft blocking it.

Reply 5 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:

You can still use automatic updates on Windows 2000 SP4:
Re: Question about Windows 2000 Pro SP4

Thanks, i was also looking for this. I red that you need IE6 for this..I installed it (ie6) but cant use the browser it seems... Allthough i can connect to the internet. I dont know what iam missing why my ie6 browser complain about it cant get a connection. Allthough the online automatic updates would be nice, but i prefer the offline files instead.. You never know when it wont work anymore or microsoft blocking it.

I've managed to get them working with IE 5 (stock Windows 2000 browser) IE 5.5 and IE6. You don't have to run Windows Update in the browser, the Automatic Updates icon will appear automatically in the system tray. I've linked in that post a utility called PortUp which will allow you to store all the updates offline in case Windows Update dies.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 6 of 7, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The biggest problem i have got now is that i cant get internet on that machine.. The onboard Ethernet controller does work and its connect to the switch (can go offline and online) but the system isnt receiving any packets or sends them.. So the Webbrowers IE6 stays blank with an error message.

Reply 7 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using DHCP or static? I would recommend DHCP to start with
Can you ping an IP address? 8.8.8.8 (tests if anything reaches the internet via your gateway)
Can you ping a web address like www.google.com (Confirms DNS is working)

Of course if its not on the net, security isn't so much an issue anymore (Even a fully updated Win2k has massive security holes anyway)