Common searches

Reply 40 of 66, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
candle_86 wrote:

Now let us return to what really matters, NVIDIA vs ati go

Okay, erm... async compute something-something, and Vulkan blahblah, DX12_1 somethingorother... 😀

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 41 of 66, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You know why some of us don't like retro hipsters? Because we're in the same field and, while being or in fact seeming less qualified, they tend to show off a lot and receive more attention. That's the reason Hightreason hates Phil. I'm not implying here that Phil is a retro hipster or that he is not qualified enough to do all the good stuff he does. My point is, if you think of it, hating someone for receiving attention, however undeserved, is plain arrogance. We're all in this hobby for having a good time and not fighting each other or squirting gall.

Reply 42 of 66, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladstamate wrote:

Bashing of any kind [...] should not be allowed.

badmojo wrote:

Well said vladstamate. There's been a lot of this petulant / negative / cynical nonsense being posted here lately and it lowers the tone of an otherwise focused and mature forum.

Agreed as far as childish comments go on people's clothes and subcultural preferences (though those too are best ignored, rather than actively disallowed). On the other hand, *actual* criticism is an integral part of any civilized discourse- sanctioning it is far more important than catering to those who petulantly construe every criticism as 'bashing', because these goalposts are far too easily moved, and that's true online as well as IRL.

When someone's selling equipment for a price that people find ridiculous, or uses functional hardware as nothing more than a social status symbol (while actually bashing those who would put it to any other use), it is everybody's prerogative to call them out on it whether or not you personally find it constructive. The onus of 'manning up' would be on those who scream personal offense at every form of criticism. If that spoils your 'forum experience', take a deep breath and go do something else for a while. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 43 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Phil is by far a retro hipster in my book. He is using the stuff he has, and not making any display out of it and bashing how bad the stuff is at the same time. Solely owning the stuff, because it falls under the term: "Retro" or "Vintage". Nor do I think that anyone here on Vogons are such a person. Yes we buy and sell stuff. We actually buy stuff to use it, to have fun with it. Not buying stuff to make a beautifull display stand and bragging about how expensive a unuseable piece of hardware is.

For the record.... Hightreason is no longer with us. I have not seen anyone talking about this.
I actually miss that guy. All I can say, is that he is not comming back now or in the future.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 44 of 66, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brostenen wrote:

Phil is by far a retro hipster in my book. He is using the stuff he has, and not making any display out of it and bashing how bad the stuff is at the same time. Solely owning the stuff, because it falls under the term: "Retro" or "Vintage". Nor do I think that anyone here on Vogons are such a person. Yes we buy and sell stuff. We actually buy stuff to use it, to have fun with it. Not buying stuff to make a beautifull display stand and bragging about how expensive a unuseable piece of hardware is.

For the record.... Hightreason is no longer with us. I have not seen anyone talking about this.
I actually miss that guy. All I can say, is that he is not comming back now or in the future.

He fell out wil Phil and one way or another his account was banned, closed, whatever.

There is a lot of hypocrisy in this forum to be honest, and some shit advice from some who are now mods, plus some bizarre trolling from the same that i came across myself. The hypocrisy i have experienced involves shouting people down one time, only to "discover" the same thing some time later and trump on about it like they are so fucking great. But there are other examples, like making a name for pushing ideas that have been known for years, or simply ignoring people who don't fit.

Fortunately this is a tiny part of my life so i move on when it pisses me off.

Pity hightreason let it get to him.

Reply 45 of 66, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Nice...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 46 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm... Well....
I really don't recall it in dept. And I know stuff has been going on for a couple of years.
Still miss HighTreason.

Reply 47 of 66, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

So from attacking subcultures we went to attacking forum members and mods. Nice work

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 48 of 66, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VileRancour wrote:

When someone's selling equipment for a price that people find ridiculous, or uses functional hardware as nothing more than a social status symbol (while actually bashing those who would put it to any other use), it is everybody's prerogative to call them out on it whether or not you personally find it constructive.

Agreed. However, no one seems to be calling *them* out via any communication line that actually matters.

So, Brostenen, where do *they* reside/hangout, and have you tried contacting *them*? Because I'm not sure *they* read this thread.

As for the above mentioned conflict between members and mods, I have no comments but:

RacoonRider wrote:

hating someone for receiving attention, however undeserved, is plain arrogance. We're all in this hobby for having a good time and not fighting each other or squirting gall.

quoted for wisdom 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 49 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

So from attacking subcultures we went to attacking forum members and mods. Nice work

? Who is attacking who at this moment ? 😳

EDIT:
Sorry... Did not sound the way I wanted. Just qurious on names, so I can try to understand what the issue is.

Last edited by brostenen on 2016-07-19, 12:13. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 50 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
archsan wrote:

So, Brostenen, where do *they* reside/hangout, and have you tried contacting *them*? Because I'm not sure *they* read this thread.

Nope. I was only trying to prove my point that *they* (funny how *they* have changed "name" to *they* now 🤣) exist, because I
have been told so many times that nobody is out there. Collecting hardware for some kind of ornament.
So it was to prove my point. At no time was the thought that people should lash out on sub culturs and at no time was it planned
that people should mistake "retro-hipsters" for "hipsters" and think that I was bashing out on them.
I actually think that I have written that I have mentioned these persons before, a long time ago, in another tread.

I have written something like this as a comment on some of the video's that are on youtube.
I have not talked about this on other forum's, as I am more or less only member of Vogons and Amibay.

Anyway...
Why do I feel that I have to explain my self so much. It's like people sometimes forget to read it all. 🤣
Nevermind... I am happy enough to explain. As I am actually really bad at explaining my self in short. 🤣

Reply 51 of 66, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see... All's well of course, I'm not the one to say you're hatin' on anybody. 😀 As for the "lashout fest", well... people just need to vent out sometimes. Can't be helped. Perhaps you deserve it for venting out about *them* yourself. 🤣

You know topics like this are perhaps what we'll be having if we ever have a live meetup. And BBQ (you can drink your beer --give snorg his PBR-- I'll just sip my 4th cup of 100% non-hipster java with raw, real milk cream, no sugar 😁).

And then I still would argue that rising prices are due to many _other_ factors... And that some of us are still finding bargains/pickups sometimes even out of nowhere on the street!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 52 of 66, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks.
Yeah... A meetup will be nice to have. Possible just some BBQ with nice stuff. At least people can make a whole weekend go by, talking about retro stuff and fixing up some nice food. Perhaps this can settle some misunderstanding about each other, and give a better understanding of each other. 😀

Reply 53 of 66, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why the hell do people start speaking like the Orz from Star Control II? Are *they* from *beyond* or *above*? And are *they* *happy campers*?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 54 of 66, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Why the hell do people start speaking like the Orz from Star Control II? Are *they* from *beyond* or *above*? And are *they* *happy campers*?

As *above*, so *below*...

.. which means basically 69!

Reply 56 of 66, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Prior to reading this thread I had no idea that "vintage hipsters" existed, or that they were called "vintage hipsters". I also didn't realize there was judgement against other forum members and mods. That sucks. People come here to share in a hobby that much of society would judge us for, and we have to face the same from our own members?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 57 of 66, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally you are *absorbing*. But do not worry. We are *friends* now. Never be afraid to *open* enough and *spread the wax*.

Reply 58 of 66, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just saying that I know some heavy metal fans that dress up in leather and spikes, but they do live like they look. Lots of partying, drinking, gigs, festivals etc. so it's not really just for show if it's your lifestyle.