Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you guys for the advice! This quipment is heavy though 😁
Are these rare and sought after?

oerk wrote:
Definitely keep, why are you even asking? […]
Show full quote

Definitely keep, why are you even asking?

Build quality and nostalgia, I'd say...

What's the purpose of the display on the Saba?

badmojo wrote:

Well I put up a shelf for my BPC in my man cave and think it looks and sounds superb 😀

Looks great, escpecially combined with the C64! Though a 386 or early 486 system would be more appropriate 🤣

It is a luxury feature to have the "new" digital display as well as the old analog mechanical indicator.
On the top there is hatch, underneath it there is a panel to preset the Radio frequencies. It has a tiny tool with that you can turn little wheels.

gdjacobs wrote:

The three head deck allows you to record and preview simultaneously, so you can monitor exactly what's being recorded as it goes on tape. Definitely a keeper, unless you've got another superior deck and are short on space.

That tuner is pretty schmick, too. The pictures are not sufficiently detailed to tell, but does it feature 3 or 5 pin din connectors for the inputs?

I don't have them here. I am relying on my memory right now, sorry 🙁

These photos should be better:

http://elektrotanya.com/PREVIEWS/63463243/234 … ce_sm.pdf_1.png

https://static3.zamba.vn/thumb_max/rb_up_new/ … 17_dsc_0345.jpg

https://static3.zamba.vn/thumb_max/rb_up_new/ … 16_dsc_0344.jpg

Reply 41 of 44, by Elbereth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I personally like them. The sound stage is different with tape decks, for popular or sought after releases that are worth the trouble of listening to on an analog medium you are facing on average around $1 per cassette in the wild or less; where the vinyl might be $50+ or into $xxx and that keeps soaring upwards every year... and the cassette version may be more to your liking anyway.

And every brand of tape deck colors the sound differently... and when combined with old hifi amps the combinations can get even more unique.

One thing for all the walkman jokes, if you can use headphones with a deck the best part is you can crank it a lot higher than with CDs or digital formats I find the booming harshness and "loudness" just isn't there stabbing you in the ears. Way more softer and satisfying with tape (but damaging to your hearing either way).

There's also the nostalgia factor that won't be available forever... magnetic tapes are going to all be disintegrated and degraded to the point of illegibility at some point and that will be the end of the end.

Reply 42 of 44, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hullo, Elbereth. How have things been lately in Valinor? 🤣

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

Elbereth wrote:

magnetic tapes are going to all be disintegrated and degraded to the point of illegibility at some point and that will be the end of the end.

NOOOOOOOO!!! 😲 😲
It must never be allowed to happen.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 44 of 44, by Elbereth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Hullo, Elbereth. How have things been lately in Valinor? 🤣

Nothing short of absolutely legendary!

keenmaster486 wrote:

Anyway, welcome to the forums.

Thank-you for this... been a long time lurker finally getting around to regging

keenmaster486 wrote:

NOOOOOOOO!!! 😲 😲 It must never be allowed to happen.

I think the industry agreed long ago that 15 years was the absolute shelf life of magnetic media. Have some tapes and VHS that are in the ~25 range and ok and I'm sure many have well-loved items that are even older but it feels like borrowed time. I don't know if tape will make a comeback, the novelty factor isn't there, there is no demand and its prone to instant degradation.