VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I keep getting the run around with the drivers trying to get my 590 running and I have tried multiple versions including the most recent. I know the card is fine but I am I don't know win10 well enough to sort it out, even tried the update but that didn't go well and had to do a system restore oddly.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 16, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

*Until you try to run DirectX 12 only program 😀

Did nVidia ever release DX12-compatible drivers for Fermi?
I still have a Win7 system with a GTX460 in it, but not sure if I should upgrade it to Win10. If there's no DX12, there's little reason to bother.
I know they recently said they wouldn't support Vulkan on Fermi anymore, because there are too few users left.
I also know that last time I checked, there were no Fermi DX12 drivers, but not sure if they were officially cancelled, or if they arrived after I upgraded to a GTX970.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 5 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
Did nVidia ever release DX12-compatible drivers for Fermi? I still have a Win7 system with a GTX460 in it, but not sure if I sho […]
Show full quote
agent_x007 wrote:

*Until you try to run DirectX 12 only program 😀

Did nVidia ever release DX12-compatible drivers for Fermi?
I still have a Win7 system with a GTX460 in it, but not sure if I should upgrade it to Win10. If there's no DX12, there's little reason to bother.
I know they recently said they wouldn't support Vulkan on Fermi anymore, because there are too few users left.
I also know that last time I checked, there were no Fermi DX12 drivers, but not sure if they were officially cancelled, or if they arrived after I upgraded to a GTX970.

Nvidia hasn't cancelled DX12 for Fermi yet but I wouldn't upgrade the win7 system unless that is your only system, image the win7 install just in case something goes wrong.

Reply 6 of 16, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Going to image one of my W520s that has Win10 and give that a try as I suspect my other win 10 install isn't up to par at least for Nvidia but no issues at all with amd cards.

Reply 7 of 16, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

580 runs fine in Windows 10 here. You are getting the latest drivers directly from Nvidia right? Forget about getting drivers from the card manufacturer or Windows Update.

You've failed entirely to specify in details what the problem is, this is preventing anyone from helping you resolve your issue.

Reply 8 of 16, by Deep Thought

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are many reasons to upgrade to Windows 10 beside DX12 support.
However I'd recommend that you back up, upgrade to Windows 10 and decide whether you want to stick with it. You get 30 days to downgrade anyway, even if you didn't back up.

The free upgrade offer ends on the 29th and after that, upgrades will be $120. Once you claim a free license it's yours to keep, even if you decide to go back to 7 for now.
The Anniversary Upgrade due soon (and currently available to Insiders) fixes a lot of the issues I had with the original release of 10.

Reply 9 of 16, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just 'updated' a machine with GTX 470 to Win10 1511. It currently uses a driver from one year ago (353.62), after a first update try by Windows itself. Will try the latest driver soon.

You really have to specify which versions did not work for your setup though. I came across this thread suggesting "iCafe" drivers... let me just quote it directly:

Sorry man, but either Nvida nor Microsoft cares about this, in fact the best Fermi (400/500 series) drivers right now comes from a Chinese division of Nvidia (the iCafe series) and that's because in China gaming internetcafes is a very big industry.

If you want a driver that works well with Windows 10, that would be the icafe 347.26 driver, to my knowledge this is the most stable driver for the Fermi family, along with the icafe 344.47 for Windows 7/8.1.

Also never lets Windows 10 update your video drivers, or you will continue getting this same problem.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 11 of 16, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
FFXIhealer wrote:

My 2010 PC is running Windows 10 Home 64-bit and has a GTX480. Drivers work perfectly fine.

Can you run DXDiag and DXCapsViewer and see if it supports DX12?

Reply 12 of 16, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DXDiag shows version 11.2 here, on both GTX 470 and laptop with GTX 460M. Newer drivers should show 11.3 -- but I'm not counting on DX12 on Fermi, despite what's been promised.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13 of 16, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
archsan wrote:

DXDiag shows version 11.2 here, on both GTX 470 and laptop with GTX 460M. Newer drivers should show 11.3 -- but I'm not counting on DX12 on Fermi, despite what's been promised.

I think it's safe to say DX12 Fermi is not happening, initially they didn't promise a different date for Fermi, they just mentioned alongside the newer cards, it didn't happen, Kepler+ got it, Fermi didn't.
so they promised DX12 support until the end of 2015, it didn't happen, and now it's seems like they are silent about it.

also Vulkan was announced to be Fermi compatible, until they quietly removed Fermi from the list of products compatible on the marketing slides and such, and as we know it didn't happen...

realistically, it makes perfect sense not to support Fermi for this, but... lying about it is never so nice.

Reply 14 of 16, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They didn't lie about Vulkan, they changed their minds. They made a statement about it: http://wccftech.com/nvidia-fermi-geforce-400- … an-api-support/
Not sure if they made a statement about DX12, but it seems the same applies there. If they were going to support DX12 on Fermi, we should have had it by now.
Sucks, but well, nothing we can do about it.

Although, this guy claims that in the new Win10 update, DX12 is enabled on his 580: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/9343 … /gtx-560-dx12-/

Heh, people are fun... like the comment here: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/9171 … ermi-support-/6
"I can't think of AMD ever doing anything like this."
Really? How about Mantle? 😀

Reply 15 of 16, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't run DirectX 12 Feature test from 3DMark on Fermi with Win10, and in Time Spy result = 0 pkt. (tests never start, it's "click Start" which goes to "black screen" and then desktop pops up with "0 pkt." result).

So yeah...
Fermi's got WDDM 2.0 driver since 2016, and that's about it when it comes to DirectX 12/11.3
With WDDM 2.0, it should be a 11.3 card (with FL_11), not a DirectX 12 card.

Also, GPU-z has an error in detecting DirectX support with Fermi type card installed : LINK

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-07-29, 08:00. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 16 of 16, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

Also, GPU-z has an error in detecting DirectX support for Fermi : LINK

Weird... I wonder how they try to detect it.
I would just try to create a DX12 device on it, and see the highest feature level at which it succeeds. That's how my DX9/10/11 engine currently works as well. I have a loader which automatically selects the best possible API to run.
Step 1 is to try and load a DLL containing the engine for a given API. If it doesn't load, then apparently some parts of that DX-version are not installed on the system (eg trying to load DX10 or 11 on an XP system). If it loads, I call an initialization function to see if a device can be created. It then reports the feature level of the device.
I also solve x86/x64 in a similar way: The loader is 32-bit, so it works on all versions of Windows. It then detects whether it runs under a 64-bit OS or not. Then it spawns either a 32-bit or a 64-bit process to host the engines.