VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys! This is totally weird probably but I know some of you guys are older than me (26) so perhaps you remember the early 90's better. I just picked up this totally period correct 90's filing cabinet and it reminded me of how things looked when I was a kiddo, and I kind of want to do a room up matching.

dsc06160_v01_by_mad_king_corduroy-dabqken.jpg

So here's what I was thinking...

Matching green walls, matching wood trim, sand and dye the floor to match the wood and paint the roof an off white or some kind of white.

However, when I was a kid we had white walls but green throw carpets with white borders. The side tables and stuff were usually similar light wood colour like shown above and hard wood floor of similar colour. We also had a horrible green couch (almost the same shade) and I remember various other bits of furniture with green legs and tan wood tops like a kitchen stool. 🤣

So what do you think, light walls and trim or dark. What would go with the green cabinet better and do you think I should also try and find equally ugly green and tan wood other furniture? 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Besides those very colorful cables and the recent software on the shelf, it's already nailing down the early 90s look. I'd probably stick some rad looking digital clock or a large floppy storage container on top of the cabinet

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol thanks, but I was thinking a bit more of the ideal early 90's look. Obviously I still need to do drywall and the rooms a mess atm (no source of power so I have to run extension cables from another room). Same thing with the network cables, no lan in the walls so I have to run everything around the baseboards. 😜

Reply 3 of 17, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, but you really do need one of those novelty "oversized wrist watch" clocks.

Ooh, OR, one of those cat clocks where the tail is the pendulum and the eyes move back and forth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKVy4IjPXqA

I know those are actually made in the 50s-70s, but most GenX kids' parents had one, and I think because of that, it evokes the late 80s, early 90s.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 6 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd watch a few period TV shows of the time. specially soapys They are usually good representation of what was in fashion at the time.

I watch the occasional old episode of Neighbours (Aussie soapy also big in the UK) when I find it flicking though the channels, It's actually kinda interesting seeing what was "typical" at the time.

I also like Home Improvement, that show seems to ring true to me, Not that our house was ever that nice, Ours was a mix of late 70's hand me down furniture though to that point in time (depending on what needed replacing and when) but their house is still a family home not a showroom with latest and greatest everything

Reply 7 of 17, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Hey guys! This is totally weird probably but I know some of you guys are older than me (26) so perhaps you remember the early 90 […]
Show full quote

Hey guys! This is totally weird probably but I know some of you guys are older than me (26) so perhaps you remember the early 90's better. I just picked up this totally period correct 90's filing cabinet and it reminded me of how things looked when I was a kiddo, and I kind of want to do a room up matching.

Matching green walls, matching wood trim, sand and dye the floor to match the wood and paint the roof an off white or some kind of white.

However, when I was a kid we had white walls but green throw carpets with white borders. The side tables and stuff were usually similar light wood colour like shown above and hard wood floor of similar colour. We also had a horrible green couch (almost the same shade) and I remember various other bits of furniture with green legs and tan wood tops like a kitchen stool. 🤣

So what do you think, light walls and trim or dark. What would go with the green cabinet better and do you think I should also try and find equally ugly green and tan wood other furniture? 🤣

OK, I say this as someone who has remodeled a few old houses --- if your house was built before 1970 and that tile is original to the house (especially if it was built between 1945-1960) there is a really damn good chance those tiles in your room have got asbestos embedded in them. They are fine to walk on and if you leave them alone they will never be dangerous, but for gods sake do not sand them down. Those tiles/linoleum in your room there look like they are straight out of the 50s, and they put asbestos in damn near everything back then as a fire retardant since they weren't aware of how dangerous it was. If you want to spruce up your flooring, your best bet would be to cover it with an affordable laminate, or if that is too expensive, they make epoxy paints for your garage floor in several shades that would go over it, of course you'd need to open the windows and vacate the room and close the door since that stuff is vile. So I would recommend either leave it be or cover it with the epoxy if you have somewhere else you can sleep for 2-3 days (along with good ventilation) or just cover with laminate. You could probably do a DIY laminate floor for $200-$300 in material plus your time. And yes you really should get drywall first. If you just need enough for that wall, then you probably don't need more than 3 sheets, max.

Reply 8 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, that's an unusual but cool topic! 😁
I'm curious, weren't the 90s slightly different in every country (fashion wise) ?
Just asking, I guess this thread is mainly about the american/english type of 90s.. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snorg wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:
Hey guys! This is totally weird probably but I know some of you guys are older than me (26) so perhaps you remember the early 90 […]
Show full quote

OK, I say this as someone who has remodeled a few old houses --- if your house was built before 1970 and that tile is original to the house (especially if it was built between 1945-1960) there is a really damn good chance those tiles in your room have got asbestos embedded in them. They are fine to walk on and if you leave them alone they will never be dangerous, but for gods sake do not sand them down. Those tiles/linoleum in your room there look like they are straight out of the 50s, and they put asbestos in damn near everything back then as a fire retardant since they weren't aware of how dangerous it was. If you want to spruce up your flooring, your best bet would be to cover it with an affordable laminate, or if that is too expensive, they make epoxy paints for your garage floor in several shades that would go over it, of course you'd need to open the windows and vacate the room and close the door since that stuff is vile. So I would recommend either leave it be or cover it with the epoxy if you have somewhere else you can sleep for 2-3 days (along with good ventilation) or just cover with laminate. You could probably do a DIY laminate floor for $200-$300 in material plus your time. And yes you really should get drywall first. If you just need enough for that wall, then you probably don't need more than 3 sheets, max.

It's just a wood floor painted grey but is worn down so you can see multiple layers of paint. The house was built in 1903 and was chock full of 1960's furniture when we moved in. The kitchen did however have blue asbestos tile, we very VERY carefully removed all of that though so it's all good now. And yes I know I need drywall first, it's mainly just that wall atm.

Reply 10 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

Wow, that's an unusual but cool topic! 😁
I'm curious, weren't the 90s slightly different in every country (fashion wise) ?
Just asking, I guess this thread is mainly about the american/english type of 90s.. 😉

Yeah probably, I never thought about it. 🤣 But yeah I'm talking about the American look, more specifically probably the midwestern look. 😜

Reply 11 of 17, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, thanks for the response! Can't give any tips as I'm not from the US, but I really like that cab of yours.
Btw, a similar piece of furniture was part of my childhood, too.:
My grandma once painted a wooden wardrobe in a similar colour scheme, albeit it was from a different era I think.

PS: Do you have a copy of SuSe Linux in that shelf ? 😳 It was the first distro of Linux I've ever used! I think mine was 6.2.
It had ~10 CDs or something. Ran it on an old Compaq around 2000. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol Yeah I have 2 copies (Professional 7.2 and Professional 8.3) of it and also SCO Unix. 😁 I'm a linux user myself, although I prefer Fedora personally. 😜

Reply 15 of 17, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a 90's look. Hmmm..... Let's see!

You need to have white wall-paper that have sawdust in it. A bit like this:
savsmuldstapet.jpg

Or find something like this, as the poor people had no money to change to white.
(I know it is from around 1970's, yet it was part of many homes untill early 00's)
=jute.jpg

Then you need to have these square mirror's that you can put together as one big mirror.
You need to have a giant poster of a Lamborghini Countach (though this is 1988 to 1992 era).
You need to have stuff like a neon sign too, and stuff like a white metal bookcase.

The bookcase need to have thick legs that go up into an arch, because they are made of one pipe.
It can be bright red too (firetruck red), as these type colors were all in around 1990 to 1994.

Finally... Remember a tube-tv and a vhs player. That would be awesomme.....

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 17 of 17, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did have a spiky drywall room when I was a kid, I remember that shit actually being quite sharp. 🤣

Looked like this, the walls and ceiling were this. stippled-ceiling.jpg

Never dealing with that again though, that was terrible. 🤣