VOGONS

Common searches

Retro flight sim playthroughs

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 146, by Frednoeyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks mate, though unfortunately I'm trying to track down a manual with the copy protection codes in it (I'm soft locked form the game currently). What did you do to get around your game's copy protection?

Reply 81 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using CD-ROM version which doesn't use GPS codes as copy protection. In the old days having your game on CD was enough to protect publishers against pirates. CD burners weren't a common thing back in 1993 😉

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 82 of 146, by Frednoeyes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
damson wrote:

I'm using CD-ROM version which doesn't use GPS codes as copy protection. In the old days having your game on CD was enough to protect publishers against pirates. CD burners weren't a common thing back in 1993 😉

Oh that's interesting, I didn't know a CD-ROM Version existed, thanks for the tip-off!

Reply 86 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some of my recent vids of classic flight sims:

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat

LHX Attack Chopper

Wings Over Vietnam

Strike Fighters Project 1

F/A-18 Korea

F-19 Stealth Fighter (Amiga version)

Aces of the Pacific

Reply 87 of 146, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
damson wrote on 2020-03-29, 19:11:

Started new series Jane's Longbow Gold

Was there ever a native Win32 version of this, or is it still a MS-DOS only game despite the Gold edition release?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 88 of 146, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-08-07, 13:24:

Was there ever a native Win32 version of this, or is it still a MS-DOS only game despite the Gold edition release?

According to Mobygames the Gold version has a Windows-compatible executable: https://www.mobygames.com/game/janes-combat-s … ns-longbow-gold

While checking some of the other games I noticed that Chuck Yeager has a Macintosh version that is "considered superior as its graphical display is at a much higher resolution, multi-player network play is supported, and saved movies may be exported in QuickTime format.". I will have to try it out soon 😀

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 89 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HandOfFate wrote on 2020-08-07, 14:25:
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-08-07, 13:24:

According to Mobygames the Gold version has a Windows-compatible executable: https://www.mobygames.com/game/janes-combat-s … ns-longbow-gold

While checking some of the other games I noticed that Chuck Yeager has a Macintosh version that is "considered superior as its graphical display is at a much higher resolution, multi-player network play is supported, and saved movies may be exported in QuickTime format.". I will have to try it out soon 😀

Yes there is (separate windows executable for Longbow).

I saw that CYAC has superior Mac port but never tried it. I did checked out F-117 Stealth Fighter 2.0 on Mac though. I posted a video you can watch here: https://youtu.be/EEgqqxt-Ddc

Reply 91 of 146, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
damson wrote on 2020-10-22, 15:20:
Added new links to initial post: […]
Show full quote

Added new links to initial post:

Comanche 3 DOS

Wings of Glory

New entry added to classic DOS flight sims:

F-22 Lightning II by Novalogic (1996)

I loved Wings of Glory. I've played through it twice (23 years apart). Even Pacific Strike, which got so much flack, was super entertaining. And of course, Strike Commander...

But WoG seems to be the one that gets the least attention when it was arguably the best of the trio. Glad to see you giving it some love.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 92 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I played and finished it once back in 1996(?). It's still fun after all those years. For me the best one of those three RealSpace flight sims from Origin (SC, PS, WoG) is still Strike Commander though. It was really ground breaking at the time of the release.

Reply 93 of 146, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember what a breath of fresh air it was to see the voxel-based graphics in Comanche: Maximum Overkill. The terrain looked so much more organic and lush than the typical detail-lacking low-res CPU-rendered polygon graphics in the pre-3dfx era.

In addition to that, the game struck a pretty optimal balance between "realistic" simulation and arcade-like playability.

The excellent music also helped.

On the other hand, it's pretty weird that an attack helicopter that ultimately didn't go into production, and never made it beyond the prototype stage, spawned such a longlived series of flightsims.

Reply 94 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
digger wrote on 2020-10-26, 10:41:
I remember what a breath of fresh air it was to see the voxel-based graphics in Comanche: Maximum Overkill. The terrain looked s […]
Show full quote

I remember what a breath of fresh air it was to see the voxel-based graphics in Comanche: Maximum Overkill. The terrain looked so much more organic and lush than the typical detail-lacking low-res CPU-rendered polygon graphics in the pre-3dfx era.

In addition to that, the game struck a pretty optimal balance between "realistic" simulation and arcade-like playability.

The excellent music also helped.

On the other hand, it's pretty weird that an attack helicopter that ultimately didn't go into production, and never made it beyond the prototype stage, spawned such a longlived series of flightsims.

Yeah, that voxel graphics was something to behold back in 1992. Though the first and second were pure arcade. Only the third tried something that you could call semi-realistic. 4th one went back to pure arcade again. I liked the 3rd one (and its Gold version) the most.

Comanche program was cancelled in 2004, well after all the games from the series were already released. I guess sims of high-tech aircraft sold well.

btw I uploaded new video showcasing old Microprose classic:
F-15 Strike Eagle II

Reply 96 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another classic - Enemy Engaged Apache Havoc from Razorworks.

Interestingly GOG version doesn't work right on modern hardware - you need to remove all the compatibility options from the exe and use DirectX wrapper (dgVoodoo2 or DXWnd)

Gameplay vid

Reply 98 of 146, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
damson wrote on 2020-11-07, 18:05:

I uploaded gameplay from F-19 Stealth Fighter running with Roland CM-32L sound. Quite rarity on YT.

F-19 Stealth Fighter • Roland Sound

That's one awesome intro tune for sure. I used to play quite a lot of F-19 as a kid but I only had PC Speaker sounds back then.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 99 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-03-27, 19:07:

That's one awesome intro tune for sure. I used to play quite a lot of F-19 as a kid but I only had PC Speaker sounds back then.

Yeah, I only found about F-19 supported Roland just recently after going through all the patches from archived Microprose ftp, I always played using PC Speaker and later Adlib.