Retro flight sim playthroughs

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:
F-29 Retaliator has a very narrow margin of error with the landing gears. They get destroyed very easily if the air speed is abo […]
Show full quote
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Malik wrote:

And the most unforgiving and brutal landings I could ever think of is in F-29 Retaliator. Crazy!

Even harder that landing in F-16 Combat Pilot?

F-29 Retaliator has a very narrow margin of error with the landing gears. They get destroyed very easily if the air speed is above this margin. And this is nothing about the vertical velocity or angle of attack, since this game is not THAT detailed or accurate. This kills the pilot instantly and mission fails. This is not the "realistically" difficult problem, but the unforgiving nature of the design & programming, I think. And it's a "lite" sim.

But saying that, it was one of the smoothest flight sim ever, even on a 286. It also gave a glimpse of what the modern weapons could do. And I think it was the first flight sim to feature the forward swept wings plane X-29.

I haven't played F-16 Combat Pilot by DID yet, so couldn't compare it. Perhaps I'll try it.

EDIT : And the gears will fail if not raised very soon after take off. This game kills the gears like a sworn enemy.

I see. Doesn't it count as game exploit? I mean, if you can keep airspeed below the said limit, won't the landing be always successful? I experienced such thing with Microprose F-117A; if you're "low and slow" enough, every landing is a breeze. Too bad such thing is much harder to achieve in F-16 Combat Pilot.

By the way, that was me, five minutes before dying. 🙁

flight_109.png
Filename
flight_109.png
File size
7.32 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 21 of 146, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No love for Chuck Yeager's Air Combat? I have fond memories because it was the first flight sim I ever bought and the manual taught me the basics of flight. Not too many games let you fly three generations of combat aircraft and let you pit a single F-4 Phantom against a dozen Mustangs to see who would prevail.

It had great sound, too - from the chugga-chugga-chugga of the prop to the digitized VO of Chuck Yeager dissing you after a failed mission, was the first game I owned that made really good use of my Sound Blaster.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 22 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SiliconClassics wrote:

No love for Chuck Yeager's Air Combat?

Oh, that's my favorite too! Although I have never been able to beat "The Abeville Boys" mission. Anyone?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 24 of 146, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SiliconClassics wrote:

No love for Chuck Yeager's Air Combat? I have fond memories because it was the first flight sim I ever bought and the manual taught me the basics of flight. Not too many games let you fly three generations of combat aircraft and let you pit a single F-4 Phantom against a dozen Mustangs to see who would prevail.

It had great sound, too - from the chugga-chugga-chugga of the prop to the digitized VO of Chuck Yeager dissing you after a failed mission, was the first game I owned that made really good use of my Sound Blaster.

F-19 Stealth Fighter and CYAC all the way, GUS version FTW.

Reply 25 of 146, by Anonymous Freak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excellent video series! Man, I miss those games. I bet I still have my copies around here somewhere. Now that I've built my W98 gaming rig, I should throw them on!

Reply 27 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
damson wrote:

Yeah it was a great game. Brent Iverson did fun flight sim games back then.

Brent Iverson also created the highly playable US Navy Fighters, which evolved into Jane's ATF and Jane's Fighters Anthology. Thumbs up!

Reply 28 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
damson wrote:

Yeah it was a great game. Brent Iverson did fun flight sim games back then.

Brent Iverson also created the highly playable US Navy Fighters, which evolved into Jane's ATF and Jane's Fighters Anthology. Thumbs up!

Yes, I know. You can see the similarities in the flight model and representation of the flight envelope window in both games. USNF was evolution on CYAC. IIRC CYAC was first in the planned Air Combat Series followed by USNF and Marine Fighters expansion, but later it was dropped due to the cooperation with Jane's and the next title - Advanced Tactical Fighters were released under Jane's subtitle.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 29 of 146, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damson,

I enjoyed the weapons officer barfing efforts of your first USNF video. I think I shared some of the motion sickness just thinking about what that would feel like 🤣

Reply 30 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Damson,

I enjoyed the weapons officer barfing efforts of your first USNF video. I think I shared some of the motion sickness just thinking about what that would feel like 🤣

Haha, yes that indeed would empty your stomach fast. Strangely this was the only sim that I'm aware of that simulated this feature. Looks like the team behind it had lots of fun while making it. Remember the Atomic Moth?

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 31 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spotted a copy of Three-Sixty's Blue Max on ebay. I wonder if the game's worth it. What intrigues me is the turn-based dogfight mode, which could make interesting gameplay, well at least in theory, but have anyone tried it before?

Reply 32 of 146, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spotted a copy of Three-Sixty's Blue Max on ebay. I wonder if the game's worth it. What intrigues me is the turn-based dogfight mode, which could make interesting gameplay, well at least in theory, but have anyone tried it before?

I've only seen the movie, which is pretty good, if that is some sort of indication. 😁

Reply 33 of 146, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it turn based? Screenshots I've seen convey the image of an early gen 3D simulator - the controls do too.

I picked up Ace Patrol from Steam earlier this year and it *is* a turned based WW1 air game - and pretty niftly one too.

Reply 34 of 146, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was into flight sims pretty big in those early days, played Knights of the Sky from front to back, F117, A-10 tank killer, F19 sleath fighter, Apache longbow, lhx attack chopper, hereos of the 357th and Megafortress.

Reply 35 of 146, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Procyon wrote:

I've only seen the movie, which is pretty good, if that is some sort of indication. 😁

Lot's of move license games flunked, unfortunately. 🙁

Well I hope Blue Max isn't. 😀

tincup wrote:

Is it turn based? Screenshots I've seen convey the image of an early gen 3D simulator - the controls do too.

I picked up Ace Patrol from Steam earlier this year and it *is* a turned based WW1 air game - and pretty niftly one too.

It is, which makes the concept interesting. I hope the execution is good too.

Anyway, anyone could suggest Ace Patrol-like games for Android?

seob wrote:

I was into flight sims pretty big in those early days, played Knights of the Sky from front to back, F117, A-10 tank killer, F19 sleath fighter, Apache longbow, lhx attack chopper, hereos of the 357th and Megafortress.

Did you say F-117? 😉

012-secondary-target.jpg

Reply 36 of 146, by Kadath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think my real FIRST airsim was F-19 - and I've loved it so much - great manual, it was the time of 688 Attack/Sub, too - I can remember. Another old love was Knights of the Sky first, and Red Baron after, with its great VGA. I've enjoyed LHX: Attack Chopper and Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, too. Just in these days, I'm playing Gunship 2000, on one of my 486: much better than the first original chapter, but I've to learn some skill, because I'm still noob and can't go that high in rank, without being KIA.

First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.

Reply 38 of 146, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
seob wrote:

And ofcourse playing with this setup.

IMG_0526.JPG

Always wanted one of those Quickshot programmable panels... how well do they work in practice? Do they adapt no new OS setups?

Reply 39 of 146, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They are programmable keyboard emulators, so they should work fine one any pc with a din or ps/2 keyboard port. The only problem is the programmer used to write you're own keystroke bindings. That will only work correct with a 66mhz or lower frontbus. I have i think the complete package, with pre programmed cartridges and slide in cards. I also have a programmable cartridge and programmer. But setting a game up is a lot of work.
The pre programmed carts support a lot of pre and win95 games so that's easy.
If i'm correct you can daisy chain up to three panels.
Bought mine back in the day and always enjoy using them.