Common searches

Retro flight sim playthroughs

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2021-12-01, 20:55:

Wait, wait, no no you misunderstand me - Ace Combat and gamepad stuff are NOT what I want 😁

To put things into perspective I was QUITE good at Jane's IAF for example, and could do most of the campaign missions just fine. Low altitude flight and tank busting was just natural to me. Same for AH-64D Longbow (though Longbow 2 threw me off - that one I just had a bad time with) but Jane's F-15 was too much for me. I remember trying the air to air refueling tutorial for 4 hours straight and not managing it 🤣. So I guess I am looking for something like Jane's IAF or USAF today, but that does not exist? Such a shame. I looked for Strike Fighters 2 on Steam but it does not exist, I guess I need to track down a hardcopy? I hope Microprose goes back to making accessible military flight sims 😀

As for a joystick, I was considering Logitech Extreme 3D: It has 3 axis, a hat, throttle, some buttons - seems similar to the Sidewinder 2 I used in the day.. Fair stick for a returning noob?

There is still hope for sim-lite games, Eagle Dynamics are working on Modern Air Combat - basically it's a simplified DCS World, with several aircraft modules on par with "Flaming Cliffs 3" planes (no clickable cockpits, simple avionics etc.) .

There is also Combat Air Patrol 2 in the works, but it's developement is a bit troublesome - basically one guy with seemingly no focus. It's in Early Access on Steam.

There is also promising F-19 Stealth Fighter remake called "Stealth Fighter DEC" soon to be released in Early Access on Steam.

If you don't mind retro graphics, Tiny Combat Arena is also being developed, scheduled to hit Early Access on Steam in February (it's release date was alredy postponed few times).

Regarding joystick, for simpler flight sims Logitech Extreme 3D is not a bad choice, it just lacks buttons/hat switches for more complex flight sims. I had one several years ago and couldn't complain considering its low price.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 142 of 146, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
damson wrote on 2022-02-17, 15:52:

Tiny Combat Arena is soon coming to Early Access on Steam. Looks really promising.

https://youtu.be/T8XEpWYd8r4

I'm definitely getting it. Looking forward to getting my ass handed to me. 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 143 of 146, by damson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Digital Integration's last proper flight sim. I've read somewhere that dynamic campaign was planned for it, but sadly it never came to be.

F/A-18E Super Hornet + The Albanian Campaign

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 144 of 146, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
damson wrote on 2022-02-17, 15:52:

Tiny Combat Arena is soon coming to Early Access on Steam. Looks really promising.

https://youtu.be/T8XEpWYd8r4

It reminds me of YS Flight. The older versions, because it seems that graphics have been improved.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!