Retro flight sim playthroughs

Announcements, advice, random banter, unrelated discussion, et cetera.

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby tincup » 2016-12-07 @ 14:12

seob wrote:They are programmable keyboard emulators, so they should work fine one any pc with a din or ps/2 keyboard port. The only problem is the programmer used to write you're own keystroke bindings. That will only work correct with a 66mhz or lower frontbus. I have i think the complete package, with pre programmed cartridges and slide in cards. I also have a programmable cartridge and programmer. But setting a game up is a lot of work.
The pre programmed carts support a lot of pre and win95 games so that's easy.
If i'm correct you can daisy chain up to three panels.
Bought mine back in the day and always enjoy using them.


They definitely look the part. I had a Saitek PCDash - programmable keyboard emulator as well - pretty simple to program but never liked the fit and feel of it - pressing the "keys" didn't work for me at all and the clumsy bezel around the whole thing made getting at it uncomfortable. The Quickshot stands up like a section of an aircraft instrument panel and works.
User avatar
tincup
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: 2011-1-13 @ 17:59
Location: NYC

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Rhuwyn » 2016-12-14 @ 04:04

I never was into regular flight SIMs based on actual aircraft but I loved Science Fiction flight sims. I spent more time on X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Wing Commander Series games then I can possibly remember.
Rhuwyn
Oldbie
 
Posts: 790
Joined: 2015-7-28 @ 05:48
Location: USA

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Zup » 2016-12-25 @ 17:35

Some days ago, GoG included Stunt Island on their store. Maybe it's time to remember it.

BTW, that's another game that was translated (and dubbed) to spanish but the release is english only.
I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!
User avatar
Zup
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1286
Joined: 2003-10-04 @ 12:16

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby seob » 2016-12-26 @ 07:18

Zup wrote:Some days ago, GoG included Stunt Island on their store. Maybe it's time to remember it.

BTW, that's another game that was translated (and dubbed) to spanish but the release is english only.

Last year i found a boxed copy of stunt island. Sadly the disks are beyond repair. So i haven't tried it yet.
User avatar
seob
Member
 
Posts: 213
Joined: 2015-6-02 @ 21:03
Location: Netherlands

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby awgamer » 2016-12-26 @ 08:44

seob wrote:
Zup wrote:Some days ago, GoG included Stunt Island on their store. Maybe it's time to remember it.

BTW, that's another game that was translated (and dubbed) to spanish but the release is english only.

Last year i found a boxed copy of stunt island. Sadly the disks are beyond repair. So i haven't tried it yet.


I've pointed this out before, you can effectively salvage those disks, carefully open them up and transplant the media from some good donor floppies then copy files over from online, wala, restored install disks with original shells.
awgamer
Oldbie
 
Posts: 568
Joined: 2014-7-26 @ 07:42

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Kadath » 2017-1-03 @ 17:55

Some sticks in my collection - always loved old good sims, maybe my 1st choice would be classic Red Baron - I've never had TFX or EF2000 though... played so many times F19: Stealth Fighter and LHX: Attach Chopper - similar engine, and cool tall manual!

Image Image Image
First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.
User avatar
Kadath
Member
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 2016-7-12 @ 20:22
Location: Kadath, Dreamlands

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman » 2017-1-07 @ 11:56

Kadath wrote:Some sticks in my collection - always loved old good sims, maybe my 1st choice would be classic Red Baron - I've never had TFX or EF2000 though... played so many times F19: Stealth Fighter and LHX: Attach Chopper - similar engine, and cool tall manual!

Image Image Image

What is the box on the leftmost picture?
Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Say no to online installer.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
User avatar
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
l33t
 
Posts: 2997
Joined: 2006-11-15 @ 06:44
Location: Indonesia

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Kadath » 2017-1-08 @ 15:52

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Kadath wrote:Some sticks in my collection - always loved old good sims, maybe my 1st choice would be classic Red Baron - I've never had TFX or EF2000 though... played so many times F19: Stealth Fighter and LHX: Attach Chopper - similar engine, and cool tall manual!

Image Image Image

What is the box on the leftmost picture?


Hi Kreshna, that box is a Zoom S2T valvular external soundcard. I can use it (only in Windows XP) to attach my bass guitar and emulate different amplificators, microphones, etc.:

Image Image
First comes smiles,
then lies.
Last is gunfire.
User avatar
Kadath
Member
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 2016-7-12 @ 20:22
Location: Kadath, Dreamlands

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman » 2017-1-23 @ 11:18

Kadath wrote:Hi Kreshna, that box is a Zoom S2T valvular external soundcard. I can use it (only in Windows XP) to attach my bass guitar and emulate different amplificators, microphones, etc.:

Image Image

Ah, very interesting. A recording ADC, am I correct?

Anyway, anyone experienced with Rowan Software's Reach For The Skies? How good is the game?
Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Say no to online installer.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
User avatar
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
l33t
 
Posts: 2997
Joined: 2006-11-15 @ 06:44
Location: Indonesia

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby damson » 2017-2-14 @ 02:30

ATF Egypt campaign finally completed. Took me some time compared to earlier ones.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oMyNT2XWhb
User avatar
damson
Newbie
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 2015-4-20 @ 21:09

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman » 2017-2-26 @ 09:14

control_053.png


Unfortunately throttle and pedals fail to work properly. :(
Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Say no to online installer.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
User avatar
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
l33t
 
Posts: 2997
Joined: 2006-11-15 @ 06:44
Location: Indonesia

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby damson » 2017-6-15 @ 14:24

Some more videos of an awesome Amiga classic - F/A - 18 Interceptor by Bob Dinnerman.

The sound design really shines here, remember it was released in 1988!

Qualifications and Mission 1 - Visual Confirmation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrnyb-_0qi8

Mission 2 - Emergency Defense Operation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMFEzb5YJV0

Mission 2 Varant 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5GFL34n-c

Misison 3 - Intercept Stolen Aircraft
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIFQhdtMx4c

Misison 4 Variant 2 - Search and Rescue Operation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2hJjGk_gu4

Mission 5 - Intercept Cruise Missile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMwTYYzLCV0

Mission 5 Variant 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCcyrT4r4sc

Final Mission - Carrier Sub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dy_-CrNNR8

Here's the PC port/sequel for comparison (Jet Fighter The Adventure) - PC Speaker only.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeeXPtWpPiA

Here's a full playlist with Jet Fighter 3 videos which will still be coming:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... LUxZFPLdPA
User avatar
damson
Newbie
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 2015-4-20 @ 21:09

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby tincup » 2017-6-21 @ 00:49

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
control_053.png


Unfortunately throttle and pedals fail to work properly. :(


Dawn Patrol?
User avatar
tincup
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: 2011-1-13 @ 17:59
Location: NYC

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman » 2017-6-23 @ 16:31

tincup wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
control_053.png


Unfortunately throttle and pedals fail to work properly. :(


Dawn Patrol?

Indeed!

Apparently, the problem happens to all Rowan flight sims, that you can use either throttle or pedal, but not both. It also happens to Air Power. The only solution is mapping the pedal to keyboard keypresses, although it's tricky.
Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Say no to online installer.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
User avatar
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
l33t
 
Posts: 2997
Joined: 2006-11-15 @ 06:44
Location: Indonesia

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby damson » 2017-6-25 @ 18:06

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
tincup wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
control_053.png


Unfortunately throttle and pedals fail to work properly. :(


Dawn Patrol?

Indeed!

Apparently, the problem happens to all Rowan flight sims, that you can use either throttle or pedal, but not both. It also happens to Air Power. The only solution is mapping the pedal to keyboard keypresses, although it's tricky.


I ususally map everything with DOSBox key mapper feature (CTRL-F1) - you can even map joystick axis to keys.
User avatar
damson
Newbie
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 2015-4-20 @ 21:09

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby tincup » 2017-6-27 @ 23:38

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
tincup wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
control_053.png


Unfortunately throttle and pedals fail to work properly. :(


Dawn Patrol?

Indeed!

Apparently, the problem happens to all Rowan flight sims, that you can use either throttle or pedal, but not both. It also happens to Air Power. The only solution is mapping the pedal to keyboard keypresses, although it's tricky.


The early Rowan flight sims I've tried work with my Saitek twist/rudder & throttle combo stick: Dawn Patrol, Flight For The Skies, D-Day Operation Overlord at least. Both USB and serial versions I think worked. Pack I made with the devil to save on controller footprint.
User avatar
tincup
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: 2011-1-13 @ 17:59
Location: NYC

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby damson » 2017-8-01 @ 15:14

My recent promo for the Fighters Series playhtroughs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGH85UDySI
User avatar
damson
Newbie
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 2015-4-20 @ 21:09


Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Davros » 2017-9-18 @ 21:09

Damson are you aware apache and hind have voodoo patches (also f-16 fighting falcon)
Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness
User avatar
Davros
l33t
 
Posts: 2632
Joined: 2004-3-01 @ 03:08

Re: Retro flight sim room

Postby Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman » 2017-9-22 @ 03:06

tincup wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
tincup wrote:
Dawn Patrol?

Indeed!

Apparently, the problem happens to all Rowan flight sims, that you can use either throttle or pedal, but not both. It also happens to Air Power. The only solution is mapping the pedal to keyboard keypresses, although it's tricky.


The early Rowan flight sims I've tried work with my Saitek twist/rudder & throttle combo stick: Dawn Patrol, Flight For The Skies, D-Day Operation Overlord at least. Both USB and serial versions I think worked. Pack I made with the devil to save on controller footprint.

I see. I wonder why did I have such problem with CH then.
Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Say no to online installer.
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.
User avatar
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman
l33t
 
Posts: 2997
Joined: 2006-11-15 @ 06:44
Location: Indonesia

PreviousNext

Return to Milliways

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest