VOGONS

Common searches


Retro flight sim playthroughs

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Davros wrote:

Damson are you aware apache and hind have voodoo patches (also f-16 fighting falcon)

Yes, I'm aware of that, I even mentioned it in one of my video's description. I prefer the software mode though. I don't mind the unfiltered pixels on those tesxtures 😁

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 62 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

On 23rd this month we will have 25th anniversary of Strike Commander release. Yeah, quarter of century has passed since then. Celebrating this I play first 3 missions of the floppy version with speech pack expansion. Also be sure to check out the video description, there are some bits of trivia worth checking out 😉

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MY-ujuUVfs

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 64 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

New playthrough in progress, first post updated. This time it's Spectrum Holobyte's Top Gun: Fire at Will. Fun sim-lite flight game with cheesy FMV.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 68 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
rasz_pl wrote:
damson wrote:

Gunship 2000 Amiga version - love letter to the heliopters fanatics from early 90s.

You are cheating by playing in emulator, on real A500 this game ran at ~6 fps ;p

Probably true, but when you run it on Amiga 1200 it would run as in my video.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 69 of 88, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
damson wrote:
rasz_pl wrote:
damson wrote:

Gunship 2000 Amiga version - love letter to the heliopters fanatics from early 90s.

You are cheating by playing in emulator, on real A500 this game ran at ~6 fps ;p

Probably true, but when you run it on Amiga 1200 it would run as in my video.

AGA version again ran at something like 5fps 😮

Reply 70 of 88, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to be clear! Are those you mentioned not rather fighter-flying-games or flying-action games, than they are simulators? I mean.... Simulators simulate something in the real world, and the goal is to reproduce some kind of higher level of AI compared to those you have listed? Like, they are somewhat less of of simulators, compared to a real simulator that are kind of leagues above those you mentioned. Like "Flight Unlimited", "MS Flightsimulator" or "X-Plane". Those are proper simulators, and not mession based semi-simulators. Not that they are bad games. They are freaking awesomme. Yet they are more real game's than they are real fullblown simulator's. Are they not?

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Jah ich will trynen... Die Leute wie macht scheisse in dem Grünen.

Reply 71 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
rasz_pl wrote:

AGA version again ran at something like 5fps 😮

Have you played it yourself on original hardware?

I was running this OCS/ECS version on WinUAE which emulated A1200 correct speed. I'm just curious, as I only run the 32 color version on Amiga 500 with 1MB RAM back in the day and indeed it run choppy (no pun intended) although you would not noticed this at the time as all the flight sim games run like this.

Last edited by damson on 2019-05-01, 13:08. Edited 1 time in total.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 72 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
brostenen wrote:

Just to be clear! Are those you mentioned not rather fighter-flying-games or flying-action games, than they are simulators? I mean.... Simulators simulate something in the real world, and the goal is to reproduce some kind of higher level of AI compared to those you have listed? Like, they are somewhat less of of simulators, compared to a real simulator that are kind of leagues above those you mentioned. Like "Flight Unlimited", "MS Flightsimulator" or "X-Plane". Those are proper simulators, and not mession based semi-simulators. Not that they are bad games. They are freaking awesomme. Yet they are more real game's than they are real fullblown simulator's. Are they not?

Just to be clear, these are old games, at the time they were considered flight sims. Even the ones you brought up might not be flight simulators by your standards. Flight Unlimited only modelled very good flight model (again at the time), even then there was nothing more to do there but fly aerobatics. The terrain was very limited - only several km^2 areas around single strip. No navigation, engine management (separate throttle, mixture, prop pitch controls), even no fuel flow! With Flight Unlimited 2 thay came closer to Flight Simulator, AI traffic, ATC, radio-navigation, ILS approaches etc.

When you look at the "X-Plane" (which cost several hundreds $ back then) and Flight Simulator from mid 90s it wasn't stellar either. Besides those I showcased are military flight sims prduced for consumer market. Although few devs after doing their sims did acquired military contracts for doing the REAL DEAL flight sims, like Digital Image Design afer their Eurofighter 2000 released in 1995.

It was just limitation of the PCs at the time. The flight sims got more and more complex as the time passed - look at Jane's F-15, Falcon 4.0 and so on. Even though they were considered complex already if you compare theam to something like Falcon BMS 4.34 or fully fledged DCS module it would look like child's toy.

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 73 of 88, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
damson wrote:
rasz_pl wrote:

AGA version again ran at something like 5fps 😮

Have you played it yourself on original hardware?

I was running this OCS/ECS version on WinUAE which emulated A1200 correct speed. I'm just curious, as I only run the 32 color version on Amiga 500 with 1MB RAM back in the day and indeed it run choppy (no pun intended) although you would not noticed this at the time as all the flight sim games run like this.

here is CD32 version running on real hardware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqfX3oakclU 3-5fps + AGA version had bugged weapons. Amiga was such a shit show when it came to 3D games. Everyone knew hardware was incapable of running at acceptable speeds, yet that didnt stop publishers from scamming kids out of lunch money. Commodore UK is also to blame for bundling Screen Gems A500 Days of Thunder ... running at 3 fps. CD32 Wing Commander ran at 1 fps in places etc. I feel like Amiga 3d games are best left as we remembered them.

Reply 74 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
rasz_pl wrote:
damson wrote:
rasz_pl wrote:

AGA version again ran at something like 5fps 😮

Have you played it yourself on original hardware?

I was running this OCS/ECS version on WinUAE which emulated A1200 correct speed. I'm just curious, as I only run the 32 color version on Amiga 500 with 1MB RAM back in the day and indeed it run choppy (no pun intended) although you would not noticed this at the time as all the flight sim games run like this.

here is CD32 version running on real hardware https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqfX3oakclU 3-5fps + AGA version had bugged weapons. Amiga was such a shit show when it came to 3D games. Everyone knew hardware was incapable of running at acceptable speeds, yet that didnt stop publishers from scamming kids out of lunch money. Commodore UK is also to blame for bundling Screen Gems A500 Days of Thunder ... running at 3 fps. CD32 Wing Commander ran at 1 fps in places etc. I feel like Amiga 3d games are best left as we remembered them.

It doesn't look that bad, and from what I read there is a patch for AGA version's weapon bug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7TUfRPMa44

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old

Reply 76 of 88, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote:

Amiga was such a shit show when it came to 3D games. Everyone knew hardware was incapable of running at acceptable speeds, yet that didnt stop publishers from scamming kids out of lunch money.

Oh yes, I remember my friend playing Red Baron on an A500 and it was a complete slide show. The game didn't run well even on a 386sx/16. You had to use "disable terrain texture in combat" to make it playable. It's astonishing how demanding that game was as it was released in 1990. Same thing with F-15 Strike Eagle II that really doesn't run well on a 386sx/16 with full graphics. It's ridiculous how the minimum requirements is a 086! 🤣

Reply 79 of 88, by damson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Frednoeyes wrote:

You wouldn't happen to have a PDF of the Islands and Ice Manual would you?
Great play-through by the way.

Here you go:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LHSub97aEnz … MbrdnN458hMm5h4

My youtube channel - flight sims new and old