VOGONS

Zen - I knew it would kick butt!

Topic actions

First post, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So far the performance seems great for a 2.8GHz ES part.
http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-es-benchmarks/

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 1 of 24, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw it 2 days ago! I hope they do 4GHz part soon...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 2 of 24, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If these results are legit it definitely looks promising.

Reply 3 of 24, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Considering that AMD will make cheaper CPUs that wont have wasted die space on integrated graphics, this is looking like something I'll have in my future rig 😀

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 4 of 24, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's great to see AMD back in the saddle! 😁 Hopefully they'll be selling these CPUs at a competitive price. It'll be even better if they have an APU option.

Reply 5 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll wait and see what will appear on the shelves, wouldn't be the first time someone didn't deliver what was expected (not looking at any single manufacturer here), but some better competition would be good for prices, performance and for consumerfriendlyness.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes I'm calling BS on these results, I am waiting until I see benchmarks with actual retail product.

Everything else I've seen on Zen leads me to believe it is going to be at least competitive. They are talking 16 and 32 core server parts, and 8 core consumer chips. If the 32 core server part is under $1000, I know what my next workstation is going to be based on.

http://wccftech.com/amd-monsterous-opteron-pr … -zen-x86-cores/

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-performance-double-fx-8350/

http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-cpu-core-microarc … cture-detailed/

http://www.channelpro.co.uk/advice/9797/amd-z … enge-to-intel-8

Reply 8 of 24, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More good news:
http://techreport.com/review/30540/amd-gives- … l-moment-of-zen

At least in Blender, a 3GHz 8c/16t Zen is slightly faster than a 3GHz 8c/16t Broadwell-E 6900K

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let's wait and see.

Don't hype yourself up from an article on WCCFtech, you're only setting yourself up for massive disappointment 😜.

Reply 10 of 24, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Let's wait and see.

Don't hype yourself up from an article on WCCFtech, you're only setting yourself up for massive disappointment 😜.

True, very true. I'm taking a "wait-and-see" approach regardless. It's too soon to tell what actual performance is going to be like, and I don't really trust people with an agenda either way (with respect to fans and haters both).

Reply 11 of 24, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this is anything like Kuma "catching" up to Core2 2 years too late, it's going to be an overpriced, overheating, underperforming bundle of hype.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 12 of 24, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mockingbird wrote:

If this is anything like Kuma "catching" up to Core2 2 years too late, it's going to be an overpriced, overheating, underperforming bundle of hype.

except this time Jim Keller designed it, and he created the K7 and K8 which destroyed intel at the time.

Reply 13 of 24, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:
mockingbird wrote:

except this time Jim Keller designed it, and he created the K7 and K8 which destroyed intel at the time.

It didn't "destroy" Intel, and no single man designs anything... CPU design is an incredibly complex endeavour which requires a convergence of the efforts of very many skilled experts. AMD will always lag behind because the company stopped effecting good business practice and became a big bloated behemoth. Then they started overcharging for their stuff. Guess what... we don't need two Intels.

And K7 was plagued with chipset problems in its inception, to the extent that AMD stopped after Irongate and outsourced the chipset production to third parties.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 14 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD was never primarily a chipset company prior to the ATI purchase. I suspect they created the 750, 760, and 760MP chipsets more to open up the market for CPU sales than to generate revenue.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 15 of 24, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Zen will be decent, but Intel is not just going to sit idle. Half of their current chips are GPU, so Intel could release a 8 core 16 thread chip very easily. But I think it will make things more competitive which is always a good thing.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 16 of 24, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

AMD was never primarily a chipset company prior to the ATI purchase. I suspect they created the 750, 760, and 760MP chipsets more to open up the market for CPU sales than to generate revenue.

That's beside the point.

You can't create a CPU with a buggy chipset and then declare yourself a success because your product is theoretically more economical. AMD owes its later success almost only to the fact that people saw them as the underdog. Now they're not the underdog anymore. They have half or more than half of the GPU market, and Intel only does CPUs.

If they want people to buy their CPUs they're going to have to give them a darn good reason to. So far, they've been completely unable to match Intel for the past several years and their CPU platform is extremely stale. If they think that this is 1999 all over again and people are going to flock to them like they did back then so that they can pay the pensions of their retiring engineers then they have something else coming.

mslrlv.png
7ivtic.png

Reply 17 of 24, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I think Zen will be decent, but Intel is not just going to sit idle. Half of their current chips are GPU, so Intel could release a 8 core 16 thread chip very easily. But I think it will make things more competitive which is always a good thing.

I fully agree with that. Even if it's not a comeback to the Athlon XP/Athlon 64 days, I just hope it does well enough to keep Intel on its toes. Not only lower prices would be welcome, but also a truly noticeable performance increase in CPU power is long overdue. Nothing since the C2D has been really a game changer IMO.

Reply 18 of 24, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Already did, 6900k, and 10 core 6950k, been available for awhile.

Reply 19 of 24, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If Zen is fast enough and the price is right, it's a sure buy from me. I'm not looking for the fastest, but I still want hefty CPU performance.

I'd be more than happy to support the underdog to be honest.