VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What was the on-board speaker on the Sound Blaster 1.X/2.0 used for? Could it only produce the test tone(2KHz sinus)? Was it enabled using the Speaker Enable/Disable DSP commands? Or is both the speaker and line out enabled/disabled using those commands? Or is the output switching between line out and the little speaker, depending on whether or not something is connected to the line out port?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 1 of 2, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
superfury wrote:

What was the on-board speaker on the Sound Blaster 1.X/2.0 used for?

You mean there's a speaker on these cards? I don't know of any.
The only thing I know is that you can connect your PC speaker to the Sound Blaster headers, which allows you to hear the SB through it. Afaik the line-out is still enabled, there's no switching.
I only had an SB Pro v2 myself, in which case I could connect the PC speaker signal from the motherboard to the card's mixer, and then connect the PC speaker to the SB Pro headers, so I could mix PC speaker and SB sound, and both would sound from the internal PC speaker in my case.
And also through the line-out (the party-capture of 8088 MPH was done via the SB Pro v2's line-out).

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 2, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoops. I have mistaked the volume knob for a speaker, after looking at the images again:p Almost forgot those cards have one:p Do modern sound cards still have one? (Had mobo intergrated sound since, like 10+ years, which don't have one(never seen an onboard mobo volume knob) afaik)

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io