VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I'd like to try digging through some shareware compilation CD-ROMs posted on Archive.org and elsewhere, and wanted to ask you for the best series to start.

I'm from Russia, and I might be wrong, but I don't remember us having a shareware culture. We had a lot of software piracy, and because of that, we mostly had compilation CDs that stuffed hundreds of full games stripped of music, cutscenes and other "parts not necessary for a playthrough". The most famous series was Classic Fond:

f_CF4h2m_8d2799e.jpg

There were 60 volumes in that series, all published somewhere around mid 90s to 2000 and filled with games and malware 🤣

Is there anything like this among shareware CDs? A single "brand" that stood out for its quality and selection and was recognised by most users and developers? Would just getting cover disks for PC Gamer and CGW be a better idea?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh, is that the cd-series "Classic Fond - Best Games for IBM PC" ?
I bet US/UK members might had shareware cd series , AFAIK we also had pirate compilations here as well back in the day 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A lot of the local BBS used to carry something called Night Owl.
http://cd.textfiles.com/nightowl/

It made it up to at least 25 volumes. All entirely legitimate, to be sure. You can still buy some of them from CD Access:
http://www.cdaccess.com/html/quick/nowl25pj.htm

Reply 4 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What the US usually gets are either Softkey dumps of the usual moraffopgeesoleau crap and/or visual basic trash, or the same but on Softkey's other labels (Gold Medallion and SmartSaver comes to mind). yay canada shovelware company

I like Tech Express's 1o1 Of ThE BeSt GaMeS series for its icon menus with questionable icon choices and horrible alternate caps though 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:
keropi wrote:

Heh, is that the cd-series "Classic Fond - Best Games for IBM PC" ?

Yes! How do you know that series? Did you have them in Greece?

mmmm nope... they do have some very obscure games inside and that's how I found about them several years ago 😉

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 14, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a friend who had a friend who had some sources in Russia and was able to obtain a few CDs from said collection back during their heyday.

I don't remember them having any malware, though. Is that really the case?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 14, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote:

I have a friend who had a friend who had some sources in Russia and was able to obtain a few CDs from said collection back during their heyday.

I don't remember them having any malware, though. Is that really the case?

I do not have any personal experience of dealing with infected files on these CDs (although I did own three of them back in the day). But I've just checked a discussion of a torrent with all 60 CDs, and people do seem to find some obscure viruses on them.

I do remember that some games came in password protected archives on some of these disks with no password mentioned anywhere. So they did not really care about the quality.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8 of 14, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There where many.. but the by far biggest series where the Twilights:
Info page regarding those: https://twilight-cd.com/

Officially 89 releases, first on a single cd, then two cd's and in the end dvd. I got alot of games and software that way when I was young and innocent 🤣

One of the series cd's (I think it was number 24 cd1) actually created alot of infected computers because by error there was a virus on one of the more popular programs on the cd. 😒

Reply 9 of 14, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing the first picture made me check my current Rus CD collection and I found these. I presume the first one is part of that "famous" collection?

rus1.jpg
Filename
rus1.jpg
File size
75.96 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
rus2.jpg
Filename
rus2.jpg
File size
243.55 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 14, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here in Greece, I seem to recall a legal/legitimate shareware-demo game compilation called "Great Games for DOS" or something like it, with a yellow cover with red(?) letters. It had at least two volumes. If my memory serves me well, you could unfold the cover from the jewel case and see a full list of what it included. I had the first one and a friend of mine had the second. DOS-based menu for unzipping/installation of anything you selected. Can't find it on google though... so not famous 😢

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 11 of 14, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have a handful of Electronic Entertainment/E2 demo CDs that came with some monthly PC magazine of some kind that my dad used to get. Also two Gamefest CDs. Fond memories of those discs filled with games I thought I'd never get to play full versions of (Dark Forces, Full Throttle, etc).

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 12 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hah! I had Classic Fond volumes 1 and 2, but the CD sleeve had the name "KING OF GAMES" and some Chinese text.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 13 of 14, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Seeing the first picture made me check my current Rus CD collection and I found these. I presume the first one is part of that "famous" collection?

rus1.jpg

Vol. 2, actually (you can see number 2 on the bottom). I believe the first 4 or so volumes had the exact same cover.

BTW, here are probably the most famous Russian pirates — Fargus (Фаргус). Their disks looked like this:

242058.jpg

Basically they took all popular releases that weren't published legally in Russia (so that no one could sue them), translated them and sold them for cheap. Here are just a few highlights from their glory days:

- they basically created the Russian voiceover industry. Quite a few translators/voiceover actors that worked for Fargus still work on games to this day;
- their quality was really incredible. They sold the games in their original form (without cutting any cutscenes or audio tracks) and you could choose between English and Russian. The translation was fairly accurate and the voiceover was pretty great. They even published patches for their games online! Other Russian pirates often published ripped games with computer-translated texts and no voiceover.
- at one point they decided they should fight other pirates who... pirate their disks. Basically they employed secret buyers, found a shop that sold "counterfeit" Fargus disks and... sued the owner. A month later their lawsuit was dismissed. But not because it's bizzare to think that pirates can sue other pirates for violation of their intellectual property, mind you! Basically, Fargus could not prove the guy owned the shop.
- Fargus was a relatively big company, but it is not really known what happened to them. Some believe they became a legitimate games publisher called Akella. Others think that Fargus and Akella were the same company all along: one published games legally (when they could get a proper deal with the original published) and the other published them illegaly.
- earlies this year GOG decided to start selling Fargus translations for some of the games. They wouldn't tell who they got the rights from, though 🤣

Russian piracy was really incredible, and in many ways, still is.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 14 of 14, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:
BTW, here are probably the most famous Russian pirates — Fargus (Фаргус). Their disks looked like this: […]
Show full quote

BTW, here are probably the most famous Russian pirates — Fargus (Фаргус). Their disks looked like this:

242058.jpg

Oh yeah, I had some of these but threw them aways as (like you said) they were dubbed/translated to Russian and were impossible to play. I wish I could get more of those other compilation CD's from the mid 90's though. 😢