VOGONS

Common searches

Why Electronic Voting is a BAD Idea

Topic actions

First post, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has been a while since I subcribed to Computerphile's YouTube channel and came across this interesting video I like to share. 😀

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_0x6oaDmI

It's an interesting lecture which has some good arguments against electronic voting, maybe this has something to do that we went back from voting computers to pencil and paper voting a few years ago. 🤣

Reply 1 of 27, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voting should be more restricted instead, let us return to a time where only landed gentry could vote. You should have to own property free and clear to be allowed to vote. /sarcasm

Reply 2 of 27, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Voting should be more restricted instead, let us return to a time where only landed gentry could vote. You should have to own property free and clear to be allowed to vote. /sarcasm

dont get your drift
people should have a stake in what they want to decide about

Reply 3 of 27, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be mandatory that you have a tax paying job to be able to vote.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 4 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about mothers or fathers that choose to stay home and raise their children (assuming this is financially viable)?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I think you should be paying a net positive in taxes to be able to vote, whether it's from a job or from (like the mother and father raising their children) from other income sources.

If you're a net taker you shouldn't be able to vote yourself other people's money (i.e. my and other hardworking people's money).

This would encourage those who "use the safety net as a hammock" to get off their butts and get jobs, no longer living off of the money of others since that money would be remaining with the taxpayers, which they use to buy stuff and start/revitalize businesses. Those who are truly disadvantaged should be supported, ideally, by their families and by private charity, but the culture's really not at that point right now, so that would have to be the government. But really, that's a tiny percentage of people compared to those who are perfectly capable of providing for themselves and their families.

Any leakage would be taken up by the massive boom in private charity which would follow. Right now the government is squeezing private charity a lot, since why would you go to the Salvation Army (which requires accountability) when you can live off the dole and ingest whatever mind-altering substances you want on the streets?

And the new workforce participants would have more money since they'd be taxed less.

And business owners (small and large) would have more money so they could start new facilities, hire more people, invest more in their respective fields, etc.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenmaster486 wrote:

Well, I think you should be paying a net positive in taxes to be able to vote, whether it's from a job or from (like the mother and father raising their children) from other income sources.

Well, I have to disagree for a lot of reasons. However, I don't want to start an argument and derail this thread, so let's just move on. 😎

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 27, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

If you're a net taker you shouldn't be able to vote yourself other people's money (i.e. my and other hardworking people's money)...

Goodness me, what a reprehensible world view. Lets hope you never hold a position of any power whatsoever - but something tells me you won't 😵

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 9 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Well, I have to disagree for a lot of reasons. However, I don't want to start an argument and derail this thread, so let's just move on. 😎

Yeah, I agree, I kinda went way off topic with that... 😊

badmojo wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

If you're a net taker you shouldn't be able to vote yourself other people's money (i.e. my and other hardworking people's money)...

Goodness me, what a reprehensible world view. Lets hope you never hold a position of any power whatsoever - but something tells me you won't 😵

Ha ha, just wait until I'm president, then you'll see the net takers bow at my feet! MWA HA HA HAA! 🤣

Reply 11 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...Ahem. [offtopic]I, of course, am in favor of abolishing the income tax entirely and having a national sales tax. Reverting to the 1800's, baby![/offtopic]

Reply 12 of 27, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
RacoonRider wrote:

Speaking about taxes, we all pay VAT, like it or not. Even the unemployed and homeless buy something whenever they have money.

There is not vat On food and whater/power were I live and if your order every thing you need online your find your self paying vat on just about nothing.

Reply 13 of 27, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is an unfortunate personality type that is unable to empathize-with or understand the plight of others until they themselves experience similar hardships and/or deprivation.

I will not even attempt to argue... 😒

Reply 14 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This would involve a lot of the same security issues as online credit card payments, but with added concerns about privacy.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 15 of 27, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Of course only people that pay wages or own companies should be allowed to vote. After all, employees are only able to pay taxes because these employers exist. And then you will find that you don't even need votes ;€

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 27, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

And the new workforce participants would have more money since they'd be taxed less.

But price of work would get lower because of higher competition between workers. Anyway within 30 years I don't see humans being useful as any kind of workforce.

Reply 17 of 27, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

Of course only people that pay wages or own companies should be allowed to vote. After all, employees are only able to pay taxes because these employers exist. And then you will find that you don't even need votes ;€

Now this is just ridiculous. Only labor-buyers are allowed to vote? That doesn't define their relationship with the government... 🙄

Putas wrote:

But price of work would get lower because of higher competition between workers.

Not necessarily. You assume the demand for work remains constant. You would expect the new workers to be employed in the new jobs that would be created.

Putas wrote:

Anyway within 30 years I don't see humans being useful as any kind of workforce.

You make a good point there (whether it's 30 years or more; I think it's probably more but we'll see). And if we invent Star Trek-style replicators, we've eliminated one of the fundamental reasons the economy exists: everyone has to eat. If everyone eats for free, well, why would they earn money for that? (well, not that that's ever going to happen... darn)

Maybe in 30 years it'll just be: "Computer! Serve us up some pizza and play a random movie! Oh, and while you're at it, clean the bathrooms and mow the lawn."

Reply 19 of 27, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People should be required to have a clue about the things they want to vote about.
Having an opinion based on ignorance and cluelessness is bad enough... Using such opinions to cast votes about important decisions should be a crime.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/