VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My dad asked if I had any clue where he could obtain an 8-port RJ45 connector that would work for a PCI NIC card in 2 slots of an ATX cases PCI bracket spacing.
The ones he is sampling are too narrow and don't fit with the ATX case spacing.

Here is a pic of the connector type he is after, but is too narrow.

rj45.jpg
Filename
rj45.jpg
File size
51.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Does anyone know if these exist in the form factor he is after?

[edit]Red arrows show the spacing that is too narrow and needs to be larger to fit.

Last edited by ZanQuance on 2016-08-29, 22:24. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah but on a single card apparently. He got those as a sample for the build but they don't space properly in an ATX case.
He asked if I might be able to locate one that would fit in a PC. But I really have no clue, all I've been able to find are those like that which fit in switch box designs.

Reply 4 of 9, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah yeah no, not all 8 on a single slot, but dual slot with 4 each like the photo. But the issue is the spacing between the sets of 4 and the next set isn't large enough so the second row is falling behind the ATX cases cover and you can't plug anything in to them.
I'm not finding anything with a larger spacing 🙁 they might not manufacture them after all. The current solution is a cable with 8 ends, but he would rather have one of those jacks with the 8ports instead.

Reply 5 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As you noted, the 8 port modules are off the shelf items for on networking equipment. They won't have additional spacing for fitting what you've described. I've never heard of an 8 port PC NIC. Certainly, 8 port cards for chassis switches are common, but they're all inline and will be too large to fit a back plate.

I think your best options are likely going RJ21 or installing a second 4 port module via a riser.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZanQuance wrote:

He says it's for an 8-port specialty NIC card some client of his wants designed, but only if it's possible to.

In that case, make the card single or dual slot with one or two connectors, and the 8-port jack plugs into those connectors via an adapter board on the outside (basically sandwiching the slot backplane between the card and the 8-port jack). That should work with most computer cases in the space that needs to be left free behind a computer.

Reply 9 of 9, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:

In that case, make the card single or dual slot with one or two connectors, and the 8-port jack plugs into those connectors via an adapter board on the outside (basically sandwiching the slot backplane between the card and the 8-port jack). That should work with most computer cases in the space that needs to be left free behind a computer.

Actually that seems to be their old solution already. They want to get rid of the current 8-port octopus cable and have a more elegant solution.
Since I cannot locate a jack block with the correct spacing I'll assume they simply don't make them. They aren't exactly in high demand 😉
Thanks for the help