VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apparently a new port of the game comes for PC/PS4/X1 on October 11th and it features one new episode with maps from an original designer and some new music by mr. Jackson :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkp_k_B8MaU

not bad, not bad... I'll re-buy this for the nth time without regrets 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 1 of 8, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least its not DNF, but i'm curious if the PC version would includes the updated map/level makers?
That map-maker program (BUILD) is what make the original Duke Nukem 3D have much longer life-span among its fans.

-fffuuu

Reply 2 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So Megaton edition gets pulled then this comes out? I don't get it.

Other than the new episode and stuff, what's going to set this apart from playing this in eduke32 or jfduke? Or even just the plain win32 duke that's been floating around for quite some time?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 8, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Supposedly they did their own version of a modern EXE called True3D.

I'm excited mainly for the new episode, enemies, and weapons ala Atomic edition (which was basically the same thing) by the same people who did the original levels, music, and voice acting.

I hope the price isn't outrageous. If we can get the new episode working in a real DOS machine that would be the cherry on top.

Reply 5 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought Levelord retired from the games industry for good years ago with no interest in going back.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 8, by GuyTechie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I thought Levelord retired from the games industry for good years ago with no interest in going back.

Even retired detectives get curious once in a while...

Or was it an offer he couldn't refuse?

Reply 7 of 8, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They made a new engine from the original source so they wouldn't have to pay royalties to everyone who has worked on the modern source ports up until now (like JonoF, TerminX, countless others). They want all the money for themselves, basically. I wonder how they're getting around paying Ken Silverman royalties (if they aren't already). Megaton heavily uses code developed by the aforementioned people and requires royalties to be paid. That's why they pulled it.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 8 of 8, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote:

They made a new engine from the original source so they wouldn't have to pay royalties ... Megaton heavily uses code developed by the aforementioned people and requires royalties to be paid. That's why they pulled it.

Oh, I see. Well in either case I hope the new episode content will work outside of their "in-house" BUILD engine.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων