VOGONS

First post, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I heard 8 pin cpu power is necessary for really hot running cpus, but would having it for an energy efficient cpu make any difference versus just using the 4 pin cpu power? Is there anything more than just extra overclocking stability?

What is the point of using EPS power connections on a server motherboard? I’ve seen the old dual Coppermine Pentium III systems with unused EPS connectors. They worked just fine with out the extra power.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 1 of 7, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whether you need all 8 pins filled depends on the motherboard. I have an LGA775 board that runs fine with only 4 pins in its EPS socket. However, iirc my lga2011 board gives me an error code via its onboard LED display if I only plug 4 pins into the EPS connector.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 2 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran a QX9650 on a P5Q PRO for years with just the 4 pins, before I learned that I was supposed to use the 8 pins. Never noticed any difference (and it was even 20% overclocked a lot of the time).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 7, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

8-pin helps to balance power load on PSU's cables.
4-pin is good only to a certain point (after which it may melt because of heat generated by the current running through it).

Newer CPUs require 8-pin to work because they draw initial power from it (again, for better overall load balance).
That kind of CPUs WILL NOT work without 8-pin plug in (adapter will do just fine, tho - but it's risy in case of higher end CPU/overclock ones [max. current limit for adapter is lower than normal 4-pin]).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-09-09, 06:19. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 4 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I melted/blackened a 4-pin connector by overclocking a Q6600. The resistance of the connector is a problem. I always look for 8-pin now unless I'm building something very basic.

Reply 5 of 7, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heat is the reason.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 7, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unknown_K wrote:

Heat is the reason.

Current is the reason, heat is just the symptom.

Running more conductors in parallel increases the current carrying capacity of the lead.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
SquallStrife wrote:
Unknown_K wrote:

Heat is the reason.

Current is the reason, heat is just the symptom.

Running more conductors in parallel increases the current carrying capacity of the lead.

This. Also having more lines decreases the need for heavy gauge wire