VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have a system that failed to install windows 10 on

I get this error 80070642-40019 windows update encountered a unknown error.

Any advice? Oddly it disabled windows update all together and I can't install any update for down load them. yet its set as enabled. also I don't want win10 on this system.

I so far did that fallowing.

sfc /scannow
net stop wuauserv, net start wuauserv and a reboot.

The problem began before the oldest restore point on the system so system restore will be no help here.

Any advice?

Reply 1 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You didn't say, but I'm guessing this is a Win7 system?

Try the free version of tweaking.com Windows Repair. When you get into the Repair tab, just pick the Windows Update options. It basically has a script that runs all the MS recommended Windows Update fixes automatically. It's a great tool. Looks kind of shady (the style of the UI), but I've used it extensively and it's completely legit.

I just use the Portable version so I don't have to install anything.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_ … all_in_one.html

edit: it will tell you, but do run it in Safe Mode for best results.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 16, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also created a BAT file that runs the Windows Update full system reset as suggested by Microsoft. In fact, let me post that here for you.

Create a TXT file on your desktop. Name it WUFix.bat and make sure the file extension changes, not just Windows naming it WUFix.bat.txt. Then put the following inside it:

@echo off
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
cd /d %windir%\system32
regsvr32.exe atl.dll
regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
regsvr32.exe wups.dll
regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
netsh winsock reset
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc

Then save all this to the file, then run as administrator. When it's done, restart the computer and see if Windows Update runs.

ALERT: Be aware, this BAT file will make some powerful changes to certain key Windows system directories, such as resetting not only Windows Update file stores but also resetting your Cryptography store folder and also re-registers all the DLL files used by Windows Update. This BAT file I use all the time on systems that have WU problems and it's never bricked a system yet, but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. If the problem isn't with the Windows Update file store or a DLL issue, then this won't solve your problem.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 3 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^ Nice! I think I will add this to my toolkit. 😀 Thank you.

Reply 4 of 16, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:
You didn't say, but I'm guessing this is a Win7 system? […]
Show full quote

You didn't say, but I'm guessing this is a Win7 system?

Try the free version of tweaking.com Windows Repair. When you get into the Repair tab, just pick the Windows Update options. It basically has a script that runs all the MS recommended Windows Update fixes automatically. It's a great tool. Looks kind of shady (the style of the UI), but I've used it extensively and it's completely legit.

I just use the Portable version so I don't have to install anything.
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_ … all_in_one.html

edit: it will tell you, but do run it in Safe Mode for best results.

did not fix it. and yes its on a win7 system. and boy it is shady looking, the site and all. I feel like I should not have ran that one...

Trying what FFXIhealer said to do.

Reply 6 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently worked on a laptop with Windows Update issues. I went through every troubleshooting step I could find. I made progress, and got some updates to install, but in the end there was a big bunch of updates that failed every time. The last troubleshooting steps were:
1) restore from backup
2) reinstall OS

And I could not do either one due to customer not having backups/restore points nor installation media for their software. They were just happy that it was working again (it had been stuck in an endless update-fail-revert-reboot loop).

Reply 7 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jade Falcon, is Windows update working? Is it hanging? I had a similar issue on two different machines a while back and had to fix the Windows update before I could install Win10. I forget the exact updates, but the solution involved stopping WSUS in order to be able to run the updates to fix Windows update. After Windows update was fixed and the system was up–to–date the upgrade to 10 was able to complete.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 16, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you could do an in-place upgrade to the same OS. You'd need a Windows 7 install media (like a bootable USB stick) and you run the setup and do an OS Upgrade. That'll replace your current Windows 7 system with the one from the install media (fresh files), while keeping pretty much all your programs and files intact. Just like doing a Windows 10 upgrade did all that. I know I found a good tool for creating a bootable Windows 7 USB stick. You had to have the Windows 7 ISO file (probably could find it from Microsoft) and an 8GB or bigger thumb drive, and it creates the image on your USB stick. I have one still that does all versions of Windows 7 and lets me choose which one to install.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 9 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Note that 64bit releases of Win 8.1/10 do also require a fairly new processor with support for the CMPXCHG16b instruction.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/some-older-a … indows-8-1.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 16, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you manage to reinstall Windows 7 and trying to update to Windows 10 fails another time, you probably have some piece of hardware that Windows 10 doesn't like (and there are many pieces of hardware Win10 doesn't like).

Reply 11 of 16, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Win 7/8 to Win 10 isn't free* anymore. Try updating using Win 10 image from USB or DVD.
2) If Windows Update fails in Win 7, fastest way to make it work again is to delete "SoftwareDistribution" folder from Windows folder (it deletes every file downloaded and created by Windows Update, it's a basic "reset" of the whole thing).
Of course, Windows Update service needs to be disabled to make it possible 😀
I recommend WSUS Offline program to install most of the udates, and using Win Upd. to update last few things.
3) For Win 10 x64 (and Win 8.1 x64) you need a 65nm (or newer) CPU from Intel, or any "F" revision AMD Athlon64 CPU (or newer).

*there are ways to make it happend, but it sure isn't as easy as before.

PS. BTW : For Win 10 x64. your setup needs to support all of these :
A) CMPXCHG16b or "CompareExchange 128"
B) LAHF/SAHF
C) PrefetchW
They have to be supported by CPU (and Motherboard).

Last edited by agent_x007 on 2016-09-12, 23:02. Edited 1 time in total.

157143230295.png

Reply 12 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
agent_x007 wrote:

If Windows Update fails in Win 7, fastest way to make it work again is to delete "SoftwareDistribution" folder from Windows folder (it deletes every file downloaded and created by Windows Update, it's a basic "reset" of the whole thing).

Both the Tweaking.com tool and FFXIhealer's script do this as part of their processes. 😀

Reply 13 of 16, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:

If Windows Update fails in Win 7, fastest way to make it work again is to delete "SoftwareDistribution" folder from Windows folder (it deletes every file downloaded and created by Windows Update, it's a basic "reset" of the whole thing).

Both the Tweaking.com tool and FFXIhealer's script do this as part of their processes. 😀

You are right 😁
I didn't checked .bat's scripts closely enough to see that - my bad.

157143230295.png

Reply 14 of 16, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What make/model is your PC? Older (5-6 years) Acer laptops have a known "bug" that prevents the Windows 10 update from installing. I believe you need to flash your BIOS for it to work. I never bothered to do it at work and just left Acer laptops to Win 7 by disabling updates.

Reply 15 of 16, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

What make/model is your PC? Older (5-6 years) Acer laptops have a known "bug" that prevents the Windows 10 update from installing. I believe you need to flash your BIOS for it to work. I never bothered to do it at work and just left Acer laptops to Win 7 by disabling updates.

Just install GWX control panel or similar to be rid of the Win10 upgrade requests. By disabling updates altogether you are missing out on actual Windows 7 updates (Windows 7 still has support and will be getting updates for several more years).

Reply 16 of 16, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

By disabling updates altogether you are missing out on actual Windows 7 updates (Windows 7 still has support and will be getting updates for several more years).

I used Win 7 without SP1 or other updates for years and had no problems, same thing with XP. I usually don't bother with most updates unless they fix instability problems. Heck, I used Windows 95 beta release until 98!