VOGONS

Common searches

Suggestion: Enable forum theme change

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would like to make a suggestion. How about enabling the possibility for users to change their theme to the standard prosilver PhpBB theme? I find it to be a lot easier on my eyes. Nothing has to be installed or modded, its just a standard setting in phpBB.

The current purple/grey theme could stay default of course.

Reply 3 of 15, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
s0ren wrote:

I would like to make a suggestion. How about enabling the possibility for users to change their theme to the standard prosilver PhpBB theme? I find it to be a lot easier on my eyes. Nothing has to be installed or modded, its just a standard setting in phpBB.

A cat randomly sits in front of where you're typing/reading.

Reply 4 of 15, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awgamer wrote:
s0ren wrote:

A cat randomly sits in front of where you're typing/reading.

Only when it isnt out for coffee. It neither wears a hat

Reply 6 of 15, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Good idea. The thing about good ideas, though, is that they tend to require someone's hard work to realize.

Not this one i think 😀 An Admin goes to the board settings and sets "override user style" to NO.

Creating/Installing new themes is a different thing though, but the above would be sufficient at least for me.

Reply 8 of 15, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have no opinion on this, as long as it's readable. But if I could ask for one change, I would like for the site to auto scale down big images for users like me who browse with a 1024x768 monitor. (CRT) It is somewhat annoying to have to use my browsers built in zoom features to view pictures.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 9 of 15, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

It is not going to happen. Sorry.
As things aren't that simple, I went beyond the normal stuff to add some extra security to the site.

I found a slow but working workaround by replacing the site style sheets with the ones from the default theme via greasemonkey. I didnt know that letting users select a theme that is already installed posed a security risk.

Reply 10 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It isn't, but the default theme isn't compatible with the changes, so you'd end up unable to do certain things, unless I port the changes over.

Using a solution as you are doing is probably the best.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 11 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only thing about the theme that I'm not crazy about is the cursor becomes nearly invisible when in a text window. So if I'm editing what I've written, it's very challenging to mouse over to a word because the cursor turns into something the shape of a capital I that is nearly the same color as the background, and is not easy to find amongst the words.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 12 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Having ran a phpBB eons ago I can surely tell you qbix is right and this is sadly very much the case of phpbb's functionality being closely knit to theme-specific php files (which would then need some painfully required manual updating per patch), even more so than SMF

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 15, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

The more I think of it the more I realize this is not a good idea. I used to run a form years back myself too.
That being said the image scaling thing needs fixed. If not at lest a sticky showing how to probably post images.

Reply 14 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

And even if ProSilver was modified to work it would still be more work every time the board was updated. There would be two themes that would also need updated instead of just one. And I know how much work that it was to do the current theme since I helped recreate Colin's old phpBB2 theme for the phpBB3 upgrade.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 15 of 15, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
s0ren wrote:

Completely agree. The current theme is especially hard for people with low eyesight and is not accessibility-friendly.