VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just heard about this. Firefox and browsers based off of Firefox save session state to a recovery file every 15 seconds. Someone figured that this is leading to many gigabytes of writes per day, which is not very kind to SSDs. Simple fix: go into about:config, find browser.sessionstore.interval, and make that value higher than 1500 ms. Use your own judgement--how often do you want that recovery file updated? Someone might be okay with 5 minutes, someone else 30 minutes. Your call 😀

Article: https://www.servethehome.com/firefox-is-eatin … -how-to-fix-it/

just noticed an update at the bottom that seems to indicate Chrome has similar issues. 😵

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It'll take at least 25 years for daily 10GB writes to wear down a good SSD. People are way too paranoid about reducing SSD writes. By the time you will wear down a SSD by Firefox use, it will be severely outdated. The time you spend trying to reduce SSD writes is really better spent elsewhere. Your SSD is more likely to fail from another cause than maxed out write cycles anyway.

Reply 3 of 14, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ZellSF wrote:

It'll take at least 25 years for daily 10GB writes to wear down a good SSD. People are way too paranoid about reducing SSD writes. By the time you will wear down a SSD by Firefox use, it will be severely outdated. The time you spend trying to reduce SSD writes is really better spent elsewhere. Your SSD is more likely to fail from another cause than maxed out write cycles anyway.

I seen a few sdd's ware down in less then 3 years. it can happen fairly fast on cheap ones.

Reply 4 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

It took all of 1 minute to adjust that value in about:config, so I don't see it as time better spent elsewhere. I like my hdds to last forever if possible. In 20 years you may want to use that SSD in a Win7 retro PC. 😉

Reply 5 of 14, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not use Firefox portable?

It should have all those options out of the box.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 7 of 14, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote:

People are way too paranoid about reducing SSD writes.

This.
I've been using my SSD to do Blu-ray to MKV muxing. It's much faster. The average MKV size is around 28GB, and I have over 400 BDs. All of that lossless MKV writing is just part of the torture my poor SSD gets subjected to.

Even with their limited write cycles, I'd trust an SSD with a 50TB recording job more than I'd trust a platter.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me the issue is with web browsers being wasteful and inefficient with their write strategies, whether SSD or mechanical disk. Basically, it's very easy for these browsers to write over 20GB per day sitting there doing nothing, which approaches the limit of some lower-end SSDs. If I have an option to improve that efficiency and be less wasteful with my writes, and it's so easy to do, then why not?

I bet Mozilla responds to this in some way, so that future versions will be more write-thrifty without users having to tweak any settings. But for now, the option to tweak is there for those who are interested 😀

Reply 9 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

I seen a few sdd's ware down in less then 3 years. it can happen fairly fast on cheap ones.

A lot of SSDs fail in short time, but not due to exceeding write limits. If you have a SSD that ran out of write cycles after 3 years, it was faulty from the day you bought it. Even if it wasn't, doesn't spending a few dollars more for a drive that'll last 10 years more make more sense? Do you really want to tweak your system so you can store data on a drive you don't trust?

clueless1 wrote:
ZellSF wrote:

It took all of 1 minute to adjust that value in about:config, so I don't see it as time better spent elsewhere. I like my hdds to last forever if possible. In 20 years you may want to use that SSD in a Win7 retro PC. 😉

In 20 years you can buy the highest end SSD available today for next to nothing.

clueless1 wrote:

I bet Mozilla responds to this in some way, so that future versions will be more write-thrifty without users having to tweak any settings. But for now, the option to tweak is there for those who are interested 😀

Not sure which part is more hilarious here, the one about Mozilla listening to users or the ones where Mozilla is supposed to care about something which all research points to not being a problem.

And Firefox has been HDD intensive for ages. It's why I used to use Opera (when it wasn't a Chrome skin), it's why my USB Linux stick copies my Firefox profile to a ramdisk whenever I boot it. It isn't likely to change now, especially not at the cost of a feature that makes sure user data isn't lost.

Reply 11 of 14, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another tweak to add with Memory cache instead of Disk cache.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 13 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I knew Firefox was a hog on HDDs and SSDs but didn't know that it was that Bad! With that many writes can easily waste TLC based SSDs pretty quickly, I really hate how Firefox has become so storage dependent and bloated over the years which is such a shame.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 14 of 14, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

I knew Firefox was a hog on HDDs and SSDs but didn't know that it was that Bad! With that many writes can easily waste TLC based SSDs pretty quickly

Why do you say that? The lowest rated SSD I could find for purchase today was rated at 60TBW, and all the research I could find indicate that SSDs exceed their TBW (but often die of unrelated reasons). It would take forever for Firefox to waste a drive doing that.