VOGONS

Common searches

Well, should I ask this girl to coffee or not?

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 76, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Damn, just ask her already...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 42 of 76, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...and report the results.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 43 of 76, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, OK, OK. I asked her. She seemed great with it.

She was not at all ambivalent, but she didn't go crazy either. We're both gone over the weekend so she said we'd figure out a time next week. So I'm following up on Monday.

Fingers crossed... 😊

At the very least I hope we'll be friends. She is a very cool person.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 45 of 76, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:
OK, OK, OK. I asked her. She seemed great with it. […]
Show full quote

OK, OK, OK. I asked her. She seemed great with it.

She was not at all ambivalent, but she didn't go crazy either. We're both gone over the weekend so she said we'd figure out a time next week. So I'm following up on Monday.

Fingers crossed... 😊

At the very least I hope we'll be friends. She is a very cool person.

Awesome! 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 46 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

...and they lived happily ever after! 🤣

Congrats, and good luck!

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 47 of 76, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

... and when you're out on a date... err... coffee... don't go on talking about yourself. Let her do the talking, you just ask small questions to direct the conversation. Of course general topics and not too personal. Listen to her and ask follow up questions on what she says so she'll have a feeling you're really good listener and conversationalist 😉 When she asks you a question be indirect and general. Make her guess and wanting more. Of course watch her response and don't go overboard with this. Some girls like this, some don't, well most do 😉

When you've set the date and the place... sometime in the early evening... you both know you're on a date. Usually the 1st date sets the pace and direction - girlfriend or friend. If you fill like it, touch her lightly from time to time on her hand or arm when the mood is good/positive - when she's laughing. When it's time to end the date... walk with her and if all goes well, seal the deal with a kiss. Nothing heavy, just a kiss on her lips. So you don't fall in the friendship-zone.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 48 of 76, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't just act like a good listener, practice being a good listener! It's not just useful when you're out with a girl!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 50 of 76, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Damn it - I didn't get to you in time before you asked. What I do not understand is that you have a "plan" to go out for coffee? You didn't ask her at a time when you felt you had a high probability of going out immediately? Planning for coffee is way too much like a boy/girl date. Anyway, I typed the response below before I finished reading all the posts:

Your situation reminds me of a time long ago - I was taking a university chemistry course and ultimately became interested in my opposite sex lab partner. She was the playful type and did many things to indicate that she was interested. We got along very well for many months like this. She even asked me at one point how I would like dating a girl like her. We even went out to the woods together for a day trip (there was no hanky panky) and she was very playful with me. However, the moment I let on that I was interested, she backed way off. Everything changed overnight and she became distant and cold during our labs. In short, that was the end of it. The remaining few months in that class was uncomfortable for both of us. She was a flirt and many men seemed to flock to her. I think she got a sort of high from this type of attention. I think had I not let on that I was interested, things would have worked out a lot better and I may have even had a chance.

Asking a girl out to coffee is a dead give away that you are interested. If I were you, I would probably avoid that at this time. Wait until the class is almost over. Women like the hunt more than the outcome. The uncertainty is part of the attraction for women. There may be a more fitting opportunity to visit with her outside of the classroom. Avoid being obvious about it. Maybe study together at the library for a midterm or something. If she wasn't part of your projects course team, I would say that being more bold wouldn't be all that bad, but let me reiterate from my personal experience that things became overly uncomfortable between us once she thought I was interested.

There is a really cheesy film called the Tao of Steve which is about how to get women. The premise which I remembered was to not show much interest in them and branch out to multiple girls at the same time. I also remembered that you don't want to talk about yourself much at all. Keep yourself a secret and only show interest in what she has to say.I have friends who live by the advise in that crappy film and the women seem to flock to them. This seems particularly true of women/girls in the 15-35 age range, which I am guessing is your age range.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 51 of 76, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I respectfully disagree with the above. If she is the type who loses interest because you are not pretending to be arrogant or indifferent, then she is not the type you want to date anyway. I know that there are girls who are into silly games like that, but thats not the kind of girl that you buy coffee if you know what i mean... 😉

Reply 52 of 76, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I originally had a reference to American college-aged girls, but later removed it to reduce stereotype backlash. I did my undergraduate studies at the University of California and strongly agree with this user's post:

Anonymous Coward wrote:

I admit I am quite biased. I think American women in particular are dangerous (Christian or not). Save yourself the trauma...

By way of comparison, I did my graduate studies in Canada and noticed a marked difference between the general behavior of dating college-aged women. While I am sure these comments may bring up some stereotyping backlash, bare in mind that I am only speaking from my experience and similar anecdotal accounts from others. This was some time ago, so I am not sure how American mating rituals have changed.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 55 of 76, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Women like the hunt more than the outcome. The uncertainty is part of the attraction for women.

Now, now. That's gender stereotyping, isn't it? Preferring the hunt to the outcome is not a trait exclusive to the female gender. In fact, we men are probably more guilty than women for that matter. Come on, don't say you've never dumped a trophy once or twice before. Sometimes the hunt is way more exciting than the trophy itself, isn't it? 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 56 of 76, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just build a slowish DOS/Win3.1 Socket 7 system for your gaming pleasure.
Pentium - better than sex. And I'm dead serious on that.
ok, maybe not, but you get the point ;p

Who needs girls anyway? They seem to understand our hobby just as much as we understand their obsession with cosmetics... And since cosmetics take up much less space than hardware, they apparently are nothing but nagging, whining and such trouble 😵

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 58 of 76, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Swpa! That's superb, consider yourself lucky!

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 59 of 76, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, shoot...

She just flat-out rejected me. I should have known 🤣

Oh well. It's ok though, I kind of knew it was coming because she kept trying to brush me off. At least I didn't end up having to email her and directly force the issue like with that other girl.

On the plus side I have her number now 🤣 No, just kidding, I'm not going to do anything with it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.