VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I been tasked with installing a meshed wifi network in a roughly 1800-2000 sq ft retail location.
The building has a lot of sheet metal in the walls and ceiling that blocks wifi singles.
They need good strong wifi in ever nook and cranny of the building as they use old IPhones for barcode scanners and what not.

The store does not have a budget for something like a Meraki setup and I'm looking for a more low cost setup. Anyone here used open mesh before? Is it reliable? Any good? Or should I look elsewhere?

Any advice on open mesh would be nice. I always herd good stuff about it but never used it before.

Reply 1 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No experience with openmesh, sorry. Have you ever messed with Unifi?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4 of 9, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just "daisy chained" several WIFI routers around the place to get maximum cover. It would be the cheapest option as then you can connect the computers, phones etc. however you want.

Reply 6 of 9, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unifi has a huge bang for your buck. You install controller software on one PC and it controls every Unifi AP (you can still SSH into the APs if needed). You can move SSIDs to any device from the software, and segmented guest wifi is built in. The APs are about $85 each and the controller software is free.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 9, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

I done that before, it never ends wells.

I haven't had problems as long as you only have one router with outside connection that gives all the IP's and the others are "silent" and just replicate the network signal. I have 3 running at my work place and they don't have any resource conflicts.

Signal strength is also pretty good, even through brick walls and fire doors (around 3/5 bars).

Reply 9 of 9, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
sf78 wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

I done that before, it never ends wells.

I haven't had problems as long as you only have one router with outside connection that gives all the IP's and the others are "silent" and just replicate the network signal. I have 3 running at my work place and they don't have any resource conflicts.

Signal strength is also pretty good, even through brick walls and fire doors (around 3/5 bars).

It's less of a Signal strength problem and more of a scaling problem and sometime with apple devices things get messy with such a setup.