VOGONS GAME SERVER IS UP! Down for now.

Topic actions

First post, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

EDIT:
Ut99 server should be up and going. If you have problems let me know.
I don't have a second network or system I can test it from.

The IP 24.208.177.52
the password: See attachment
Server name Vogons
RULES:
No cheating.
No giving out the password to non vogons members.
You must use your vogons user name.
No trying to brake the server, hack it or the network it is on.
Have Fun!

Untitled1.png

The system is down for now. The motherboard brurned out a 8pin cpu header.
I bought a new motherboard and will get it back up asap.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-11-27, 04:16. Edited 15 times in total.

Reply 1 of 135, by Vyothric

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used to play UT99 a lot. It was actually the specific reason I built my single-core Win2K computer, I just haven't really found a reason to get back into it yet.

Mastodon | YouTube

Reply 3 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'd like to setup a mech4 merks server too, but If I did that it would need to have all the mech packs and mods and we would be lucky if anyone waited to play it. you really need 6 or more players at a time to make that game fun online and I don't thing we could pull it off.

EDIT:
ADDED TALY TO OP.

Reply 6 of 135, by ElementalChaos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

QuakeWorld or Quake2, maybe? I recall playing Q1 on PCGamer's 25th anniversary servers from my Dimension 4100, it was pretty fun. That's the only time I played it with actual people though, last I checked the other remaining servers are either empty or filled with bots.

Descent 1/2/3 would be REALLY cool. I'd like to consider myself a beast at that game, but I've never played it with anyone else. There seems to be a very small multiplayer community, but I've never figured out their schedule and I don't even know where to start. Also I might be underestimating how difficult it would be to set up a server, as it uses the IPX protocol I think.

I don't think a CS1.6 server is necessary, that game is very, very far from dead. 22k player peak on Steam today, and I'm sure it's higher on the weekends. I think our focus should be on games with almost dead or completely dead multiplayer scenes.

I'll put in a vote for UT99 as well.

Last edited by ElementalChaos on 2016-11-10, 02:46. Edited 2 times in total.

Pluto, the maxed out Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 1400S | 256MB | GeForce4 Ti4200 + Voodoo4 4500 | SB Live! 5.1
Charon, the DOS and early Windows time machine: K6-III+ 600 | 256MB | TNT2 Ultra + Voodoo3 2000 | Audician 32 Plus

Reply 7 of 135, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Descent 1 and 2 using the ReBirth sourceport uses UDP for traffic so it's really simple to setup servers on that but I don't know about dedicated sever support.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

looking like its going to be UT99. I'll keep this open for input until Friday then I'll setup the server.

Anyone know if I can setup a ut99 server like a qke3 server were It can be dedicated but I can join the match when I want?

The server will be open only to vogons members and will have a password or not registered and require the use of your vogons user name. Other then that it will be open to anything, oh and no cheating. I may allow it on a wacky night, say one day of the week like Friday will be a anything goes and I may join in and do funny stuff on the server side like making it so you cant turn left or setting it up so etch user has a different weapon or something.

I'll have to touch up on ut99 commands, hopefully I have it up and going this weekend. All I need to do is make a few network changes and better secure my server abit. I really wish more people would have picked quake3 😢

Maybe down the road I'll setup a second game server or something.

Also the server will be setup on my dual 604 system, I do use this system to play games every now and then so keep in mind that the system may go down more then a 100% dedicated server but I'll see when it's down much faster this way. The system is rock soiled and has yet to crash on me. It may be rebooted more often too, but I'll let everyone know in advance when I do that. Once it's setup I'll need some one with the game to help me test it. But it should be smooth sailing.

Reply 11 of 135, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UT99 dedicated servers can be started two ways

One is to use the '-server' command line option on UnrealTournament.exe

The other is to use 'server' commandlet on UCC.exe

Examples:

UnrealTournament.exe DM-Stalwart?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus -server
UCC.exe server DM-Stalwart?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus

When doing dedicated servers the first commandline argument is always the map to start on, anything tacked on via ?= are options to pass to the server like what GameInfo actor to use and so on. It's important to have -server at the end of the UnrealTournament.exe method otherwise it'll launch into the map as a standalone game.

If this is still confusing I could host, just tell me what you people want and I'll try to get it together.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
DracoNihil wrote:
UT99 dedicated servers can be started two ways […]
Show full quote

UT99 dedicated servers can be started two ways

One is to use the '-server' command line option on UnrealTournament.exe

The other is to use 'server' commandlet on UCC.exe

Examples:

UnrealTournament.exe DM-Stalwart?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus -server
UCC.exe server DM-Stalwart?Game=BotPack.DeathMatchPlus

When doing dedicated servers the first commandline argument is always the map to start on, anything tacked on via ?= are options to pass to the server like what GameInfo actor to use and so on. It's important to have -server at the end of the UnrealTournament.exe method otherwise it'll launch into the map as a standalone game.

If this is still confusing I could host, just tell me what you people want and I'll try to get it together.

I have no problem hosting it. I work with servers for a livening. Just never setup a ut99 server before. I'll hit need to do a little reading before I jump in. If this was quake3 id be fine.

Reply 15 of 135, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

Do clients need port forwarding? Where can I find UT99? Do I need to purchase it? 😀

You can get it on GOG.com

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 16 of 135, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would enjoy playing almost any game listed so far. Really love the Mechwarrior series and AOE series. Maybe someone would like to play Warcraft II? Would love to play some old school Doom or some Terminal Velocity also. The biggest concern I would have is getting everyone together at the same time. Maybe there is some free online calendar we can use that might also give us reminders on our e-mail calendar or something like that? I kinda live and die by my outlook calendar if it's not on there I forget about it.

I could setup a server also, I could also setup a voice chat service. I work at a cloud provider and have a demo account. The only bad thing about it is occasionally they go in and wipe all the demo accounts just to make sure we don't take up too many resources so there is a chance that every few months I'd have to rebuild it from scratch, but it's really not that much work honestly.

Reply 18 of 135, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is anyone aware of unofficial online patches for the original Homeworld (like with Tribes 2)?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19 of 135, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

... unofficial online patches for the original Homeworld ...

I did not know about these but I only own Homeworld Cataclysm. My CD is too scratched to install from though and I'm unsure if the game would work under Wine. Last I checked DirectPlay is completely broken under Wine and I don't know how to get the native .dll's to get DirectPlay going again.

― Κυνικός Δράκων