Topic actions

Reply 101 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PeterLI wrote:

Cool. Will try to join a game this weekend. 😀

I tend to join in when ever I see just one person on.
So if I see you on ill join in too.

Reply 102 of 135, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
computergeek92 wrote:

What's going on? Is there actually an online gaming server connection for everybody on Vogons? How do I join? How many games are available? Pardon my lack of knowledge...

Read the op

Its open to all vogons members, Right now its just UT99 and you must use your Vogons user name on the server or let us know the kame your be using.

Cool! How do I get started? What link do I click on? I'm a noob when it comes to online gaming. Dammit, you people are so smart! 😉 All I do is fix and play with computers. BTW it would be nice for us to play Age of Empires ROR or Baldur's Gate II...

Never played UT99, I just want to see how this works.

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 104 of 135, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computergeek92 wrote:

Cool! How do I get started? What link do I click on? I'm a noob when it comes to online gaming. Dammit, you people are so smart! 😉 All I do is fix and play with computers. BTW it would be nice for us to play Age of Empires ROR or Baldur's Gate II...

Never played UT99, I just want to see how this works.

If you don't own it, you can buy it from GOG.com:
https://www.gog.com/game/unreal_tournament_goty
First, go to Options->Player Setup and name yourself your Vogons username. Then go to Multiplayer->Find Internet Games and search for Vogons. Have the password handy. Might want to do Game->Start Practice Session to get your feet wet first. I just played a couple of rounds with bots only and got my butt kicked both times. My pings tonight are over 200ms. I know I suck, but I was especially bad tonight, maybe the ping contributed.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 105 of 135, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't think you own UT, you might also want to check your software bundles with old hardware you might've hoarded. Sound Blaster Live 5.1 X-Gamer should have an eligible copy. OEM UTs typically miss out on the second disc (compressed textures)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 106 of 135, by computergeek92

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

If you don't think you own UT, you might also want to check your software bundles with old hardware you might've hoarded. Sound Blaster Live 5.1 X-Gamer should have an eligible copy. OEM UTs typically miss out on the second disc (compressed textures)

I do have it somewhere, but haven’t played it yet. (Thrift store find.) I'm kind of lazy with playing new games. I tend to stick to the same games I played when I was younger. Though UT looks waaay ahead of it's time! It musta needed at least a PIII Tualatin or fast Athlon T-bird to run at all... First thing I thought when I saw the game graphics on the web was: The graphics look so good, who needs to play modern 3D computer games? Those 1999 graphics look like more then you'll ever want!

Dedicated Windows 95 Aficionado for good reasons:
http://toastytech.com/evil/setup.html

Reply 108 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
clueless1 wrote:

My pings tonight are over 200ms. I know I suck, but I was especially bad tonight, maybe the ping contributed.

Sorry about that, my modem has been giving me fits.
Just a moment ago I was getting 180-200ms pings to google fallowed by it cashing and fuging up my router. after a reboot it was like 30ms haha,
I just ordered a cm-16 and some cat7.
Thats about all I can do on my end to fix pings. err maybe static routes too?

If anyone shoots my their IP I could setup a static route to speed up pings abit.

Reply 109 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I plain to take the server offline tonight.
I'll be changing the modem and doing a cat7 run.
If all goes well it will be down for less the 20 minutes.

I'll take it offline when nobody is using it.

I also plan to take it offline this weekend or sometime next week for an server upgrade. I don't have a second psu to setup the new system so I'll have it down for a few hours to a day. I'll be changing it out with a skulltail system.
I'll be adding 5 more games to the server too. Etch will be in there own VM.

Reply 110 of 135, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the original Unreal Tournament, right? I do have the Game of The Year edition CDs.

I like playing only in the vanilla built-in maps, if possible.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 111 of 135, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to own UT back in the day but never played it. The Quakes and HL were my thing. Trying it now I see that one of the maps was copied by Sauerbraten. (The one with the two towers in space and the hole.)

eta: http://unreal.wikia.com/wiki/CTF-Face

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 112 of 135, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

I used to own UT back in the day but never played it. The Quakes and HL were my thing. Trying it now I see that one of the maps was copied by Sauerbraten. (The one with the two towers in space and the hole.)

Face or Face II?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 114 of 135, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool! Face was always fun with bots on auto-adjust. A little sniping and they become ridiculous.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 115 of 135, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's one of the best Sauer maps too. Seeing it now on UT is like watching an old movie and thinking "hey, this is a rip off of <2000s remake>"

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 117 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

now this is fast, on my end. I have the new cat7 and modem are setup. pings are about 5-10ms lower on my end.

Cant do anything more other then run new coax (current coax is form 73) and I'm not doing that.
I can also buy faster internet but thats not happening anything soon.

You guys outside the usa will have to deal with 100-200ms ping witch is a setup up from the 200-300ms when the server was first installed.

If any wants to I can setup static routes if you pings are too high. Don't know how much that will help but its worth a try. Just shoot me a PM with your IP and I'll try and find the fastest route to and from my server.