Topic actions

Reply 120 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PeterLI wrote:

$4 on sale on Steam. Going to try it now. Downloading. 😀

Cool. If all goes well I'll have the server back up tomorrow.

Reply 122 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

It's a fun game. I have about everything ready to start changing out the hardware. All that's left is to download vbox and burn off a server 2008 evaluation disk that ill register with a key bought off eBay or something.

Reply 124 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have bad news and more bad news 🙁
The skulltrail board I recently bought is deader then deth. I power it up and it shorts out all over the place.
Luckily I have nothing but 2 cheap CPUs and a stick of ram In the system.

The other bad news is that the old server is not going to be put back together.
The two 125w CPUs and the Eco 9800gt I have in the system pulled too much power for the motherboard to handle frying out the atx plug. 🙁 I should have known better when the system have me fits when powering on.

But I have good news! I bough a MSI K9ND!

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2016-11-28, 17:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 126 of 135, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PeterLI wrote:

Use an old laptop. I never understand why people make their lives so complicated. 😀

That's actually not a bad idea, never thought of that.
Now if only I even had a working laptop 😊

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 128 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PeterLI wrote:

Laptops for many years have been powerful enough to act as servers. Especially for gaming.

Helps if you have one. Right now I don't have a working system at home. I'll get that fixed soon.

Basically I only have room for one system and I plain to add more games to the server with each in it's own VM for better management and back ups wile also still using the system for my self and other server tasks, hence the need for a more powerful system.
But yeah a laptop can be used for a ut99 server, heck a raspberry Pi could if it had a X86 cpu.

Anyway my idea is to have at lest 8 games on the server.

So far that would include.
quake 3
AoE
Doom
MW4 and 2
Descent
C&C

Reply 130 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PeterLI wrote:

Cool. A powerful notebook like a Lenovo W series with a lot of RAM on a 7BIT OS should be able to run plenty of VMs and take up virtually no room whatsoever. Plus the power consumption should be relatively low. 🤣

But can't be upgraded like a desktop. Probably has no ps/2 ports or vga. And costs a lot.
I got 16gb of ram and 5 CPUs for like 15$. Also can a notebook have 5 or more hdds?

Sure it would work for a game server.

Reply 132 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PeterLI wrote:

Anyway: good luck & have fun! Let us know in case the server is back up anytime soon. 😀

Will do. Just waiting on the mobo, it shipped out today. I may just put the old one back together.
After some troubleshooting I found out the brunt 8pin cpu pin also sends power to the pcie port. That would explain a lot. 2 125w CPUs with a mild oc and a 65-70w video card that gets its power from the pcie slot probably over loaded it.
The board still works fine.

Reply 135 of 135, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
PeterLI wrote:

Whazzup?

Waiting on a new mobo from hungry. Sorry.
I don't feel safe leaving the old server on given it's burned out 8pin cpu power header.

I have the rest of the parts needed. Just waiting for a mobo