VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am looking to retire my 5 year old 1TB Western Digital Black storage drive. I am not worried too much about speed, just reliability. What models do people recommend? I am thinking about a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Blue as they are cheap are easily obtainable.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 1 of 16, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say Hitachi or Toshiba. Backblaze has good results with the former. I have good experience with the latter, as does Backblaze, although their sample set is quite small.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^What he said
Read up on the Backblaze blogs: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-fai … -rates-q2-2016/ Pretty eye-opening and lines up with my work in the field. The only issue with Hitachi is they are not as common, so you often pay a little more for the same capacity.

If you go back to previous Backblaze articles (I think their HDD reliability articles started around 2014), you'll get a great idea on specific models that are more prone to failure than others. When buying a new drive, I always go through their articles and make sure the model I'm looking at isn't one that they've had a high failure rate with.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 16, by trunk70

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Soupdragon wrote:

I am looking to retire my 5 year old 1TB Western Digital Black storage drive. I am not worried too much about speed, just reliability. What models do people recommend? I am thinking about a Seagate Barracuda or a WD Blue as they are cheap are easily obtainable.

The Seagate Firecuda SSHD 2TB. A beast. Perfect for the Steam + Origin + Uplay + Blizzard + Rockstar etc... library!

drive-engine.png

Vous devriez voir ce que je vois.

Reply 4 of 16, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you don't want to ask me about modern storage drives.

Current PC
Boot Drive: Samsung SM951 m.2 256GB PCI-Express SSD (~$310)
Games Drive: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SATA SSD (~300)
Storage Drive: Seagage 3TB 7,200 RPM SATA HDD (~70)

Last PC
Boot Drive: Samsung 850 Evo 256GB SATA SSD (~140)
Storage Drive: Western Digital Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA HDD (~100)

I don't do anything cheap because every time I do, shit fails and I get burned (not literally). So now not ONLY am I a firm believer in SSD technology (the boot times and program load times are STUPID FAST!) but I also buy highly-rated stuff and never skimp.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 5 of 16, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I'd say Hitachi or Toshiba.

^Same. I've had good results with both brands, in both 2.5" and 3.5". Other brands... not as much (though again, small sample sizes).

Reply 6 of 16, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the help everyone but in the end I just went with a retail boxed 1TB WD Black again as I found a good offer on one and I was put off by the low warranty on all the other consumer 1TB drives.

Reply 7 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why only 1TB? 2Tb drives are at most 5-7% more expensive these days for new OEM drives, it seems like a waste to buy a 1TB these days

Reply 8 of 16, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

Why only 1TB? 2Tb drives are at most 5-7% more expensive these days for new OEM drives, it seems like a waste to buy a 1TB these days

1TB 3.5" drives nowadays are all built with one platter vs. two or more with 1.5+TB. Possibly one can justify the poor value of 1TB drives with the higher reliability/quietness they might offer, due to their single-platter design.

Reply 9 of 16, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

1TB 3.5" drives nowadays are all built with one platter vs. two or more with 1.5+TB. Possibly one can justify the poor value of 1TB drives with the higher reliability/quietness they might offer, due to their single-platter design.

I supposed but you should always have a backup, and one drive, google drive ect make this so very easy. So unless its a mission critical reason I'd still say its wasted money. 250/500/1tb drives are all terrible values these days

Reply 10 of 16, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote:

It's a data drive and the only data I have are podcasts and 320 cba mp3 audio ripped from Cd's. At my rate of data expansion the drive will be long dead before I go over 1TB. The only drives with 5 year warranties cost a lot more for the 2TB version.

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 11 of 16, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

I'd say Hitachi or Toshiba. Backblaze has good results with the former. I have good experience with the latter, as does Backblaze, although their sample set is quite small.

Are there still Hitachi HDDs available? We have only WD, Seagate and Toshiba where I live. As far as I know, Hitachi HDDs are property of Toshiba now.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 13 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

Are there still Hitachi HDDs available? We have only WD, Seagate and Toshiba where I live. As far as I know, Hitachi HDDs are property of Toshiba now.

They are on Amazon and Newegg. They also go by HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technology).

Reply 14 of 16, by Dreamer_of_the_past

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

They are on Amazon and Newegg. They also go by HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technology).

But are these HGST hard drives still be of the same high standard quality or has Western Digital already helped them out to become worst? By the way, I have this 10 years old Toshiba laptop and it has a Fujitsu hard drive inside which still gives me no issues to these days.

Reply 15 of 16, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dreamer_of_the_past wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

But are these HGST hard drives still be of the same high standard quality or has Western Digital already helped them out to become worst? By the way, I have this 10 years old Toshiba laptop and it has a Fujitsu hard drive inside which still gives me no issues to these days.

They are one and the same. Just yesterday BackBlaze published their Q3 hard drive reliability survey:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-fai … -rates-q3-2016/
Every Hitachi model is consistently at 1.2% or lower failure rates for Q3. WD is between 2-11% depending on the model and Seagate is between 1-10% depending on model. Toshibas are 0% so far in Q3, but the sample size is smaller than the others. At the bottom of the article is a cumulative from 2013 to present. Here HGST is 2.7% or less across all models; WD is 3-8%; Seagate is 1-5%; and Toshiba is 1-4%. A few years ago Seagate was was through a rough spot on Backblaze, with many of their models over 10% failure rates. Those drives are no longer in circulation, so that's why Seagates numbers look good today. They seem to have turned things around.

Reply 16 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SW-SSG wrote:
candle_86 wrote:

I've been using a WD 1TB EZEX for a couple years now. It's very quiet, but one can hear it spin up quite clearly.
Though the latter thingy doesn't bother me, it might bother someone else.

I don't think these drives are as good a deal these days as they were a couple years ago though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!