VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 46, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fought a war of Soviet aggression, unallied, before the Eastern Front opened in WWII. "Won" by only losing 10% of its territory. It's still held as a culture defining moment, so probably doesn't count as a less known fact.

Also used about three doses of opiates per week per man throughout the wars.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 41 of 46, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
firage wrote:

Fought a war of Soviet aggression, unallied, before the Eastern Front opened in WWII. "Won" by only losing 10% of its territory. It's still held as a culture defining moment, so probably doesn't count as a less known fact.

As I read this the song White Death by Sabaton came on in my playlist just now!

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 42 of 46, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
firage wrote:

I'm pretty sure Germans beat us in this matter, they popped pills like no tomorrow during the initial invasion and during the last few months of the war.

Reply 43 of 46, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Houses are bloody expensive in Australia, The median house price in Sydney just hit 1.1 million Australian dollars or about $810,000USD, Median Unit prices are $710,000AUD or $520,000USD, A block of land 60km from the city will set you back around $1,000 per square meter, Generation Y are told to suck it up, work harder or Lower expectations for their first homes and Sydney is not in a housing Bubble, here ares examples of new blocks of land 60km from the city where 500M or 1/11th acre will cost you around $500,000AUD or $365,000USD
https://www.domain.com.au/sale/oran-park-nsw- … &sort=price-asc

Thats right a patch of dirt with nothing on it 😲 !

Reply 45 of 46, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And few facts about computer-building. We have talented people, too, but there's kind of curse, I believe lies on Russia - almost everething goes in vain because of the government(... For example we had only one in the World practically usable computer, built on ternary architecture - 0 - 1 - 2 signals - it was the Setun' in 1950's. Also in the decline of the USSR we built the Buran Spaceship which was the answer for the Space Shuttle - it's computer allowed it to fly to the space and to return to it's aerodrome without any people aboard, which was cool, too... And here's the picture of the DVK3m computer with original Pajitnov's Tetris)

Attachments

Reply 46 of 46, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:

Something really random about Finland: We have annual wife carrying championsips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1la1l8gv00

That's hilarious and awesome!

You guys also made the best xmas movie ever:

Rare Exports