VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a follow-up to my earlier post, Diablo II and Glide wrappers: what's the point?.

After playing Diablo II using both Direct3D and Glide renderers, I've found that there are some good reasons to use Glide.

First, patch 1.4 removes DirectDraw support from the game. Many Diablo II players have traditionally preferred DirectDraw to Direct3D, citing better performance and visual quality. With DirectDraw gone, these players are being forced to use Glide wrappers to avoid Direct3D. The Direct3D renderer can also have major performance problems on newer systems, making the Glide renderer the only viable option for some players.

Second, after playing the game with a Glide wrapper (nGlide), I can say that the Glide renderer does offer some advantages over Direct3D, at least on my system.

• better texture quality
  • better lighting quality
  • higher average framerate
  • better color balance

The Glide renderer does have some downsides, though.

• minor FPS drops in some areas
  • game always starts with music muted 😕

Here are some screenshots for comparison. Direct3D is on the left, Glide is on the right.

I8lq4nk8.jpg Cw7lcHKm.jpg
oZjaH5xv.jpg 7kgfE2yw.jpg
0VLiVw5h.jpg ZuCyOSrJ.jpg

Test setup:

Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Radeon X800 XL
Windows XP SP3
Catalyst 8.2
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction patch 1.14d
nGlide 1.05

I should add that patch 1.4 also removes the d2vidtest.exe program originally used to switch renderers. Blizzard has added a -3dfx command line option that starts the game in Glide mode.

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 4, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I first got Diablo II (I think it was 2001) , I played in Directdraw mode too , D3D looked better than plain software mode, but it was somewhat slow and glitchy (I remember it crashing occasionally)

Glide mode running on a Voodoo3-5 is the way to go , either that or nglide.

Reply 2 of 4, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Huh? When I last played with 1.13, DirectDraw was still there. Heck, there was even GDI rendering hidden by a command line argument!

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 4 of 4, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kropotkin wrote:

It just seems overall darker.

I took both sets of screenshots with no gamma adjustments. Both Direct3D and Glide need a gamma bump to look right IMO.

PCGames9505