VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just out of curiosity does you're wife or girlfriend help with building or setting up a pc or play classic games with you?

I got my wife hooked on Unreal tournament and whenever I order upgrades for her quad core pc she always puts them in with my help.

I also showed her how to install windows 95 😊 which was fun.

Last edited by Oldskoolmaniac on 2017-01-19, 20:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 1 of 35, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My girlfriend isn't a gamer herself and definitely doesn't understand why I mess with all that hardware. However, she liked some of the old adventure games I've played with her — particularly the trashy ones, like Phantasmagoria 1&2 and Harvester. 😊

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 35, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My ex is a much bigger gamer than I can ever be.
I have shown her how to assemble her own PC, and while she wasn't thrilled on the experience, she told me she learned much and was able to do small repairs/diagnostics/upgrades herself from then on.

We tried old adventure games together and she was definitely interested, but I don't know, now that we're separated, if she'll continue playing them on her own.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 4 of 35, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Not interested at all, she wonders why I even bother with old systems, she goes as far as to be unwilling to watch movies older then 10 years aswell. This can be annoying sometimes when trying to watch movies sometimes (usually I just wait till she sleeps and switch the movie, reckon I ain't the only one doing that), she did enjoy playing nostalgic games though.

Reply 5 of 35, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Richo wrote:

Not interested at all, she wonders why I even bother with old systems, she goes as far as to be unwilling to watch movies older then 10 years aswell. This can be annoying sometimes when trying to watch movies sometimes (usually I just wait till she sleeps and switch the movie, reckon I ain't the only one doing that), she did enjoy playing nostalgic games though.

She does like some movies i watch, but indeed not all, and mostly not older moveis. I llike 80's action movies, she doesn't. Like you said, sometimes i wait until she falls asleep watch whatever serie she is trying to watch and then switch over to a movie i want to see.
And of course most of the time she wakes up and starts complaining that she was watch and wants to continue. Only to fall asleep yet again, 🤣.

Well my wife isn't intrested what so ever. She more like, why do you need this old crap, and haven't you got enough. But she lets me carry on anyways, like i let her carry on with her hobbies.
She sometimes does play games like digger, and sometimes mario kart with our boys, but overall she isn't that much interested.
She does however like boardgames, so we try to play that as much as possible.

Reply 6 of 35, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My wife is very understanding and patient with my hobbies, including old computers, and this is all I can ask for. I'm not that "rampant" with my hobbies anyways. I always restrain myself about the space I occupy and the budget I waste related to obscure hobbies of mine. And as a rule, I never complain about her dresses, shoes or cosmetics, either 🤣

When it comes to games, she is mostly a candy crush / solitaire type of gamer.😊 She tried Sims a bit in the past, but daughter of her Sims family died in an fire, wife and husband separated and son went to military school, so she quit playing with it. 🤣

Last edited by tayyare on 2017-01-10, 13:55. Edited 1 time in total.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 7 of 35, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My ex actually works with electronics (PSUs/lights etc. for buses, trains, ships...) so she can fix or assemble pretty much anything that works with electricity. I let her fix all the broken phones and replace the caps whenever it's needed.

Reply 8 of 35, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My wife has no interest in this whatsoever (I think the kids and Facebook keeps her busy enough 🤣).
She's already started to complain about all the "junk" I've collected and why do I collect all of this.
Probably a good idea to start going though my old stuff again and decide what I want to keep...

Reply 9 of 35, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does you're women share the same interest as all of us?

Grammar?! 😐

Anyhow... mine certainly doesn't and she wouldn't hesitate to throw out everything on the junkyard 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 10 of 35, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

My ex actually works with electronics (PSUs/lights etc. for buses, trains, ships...) so she can fix or assemble pretty much anything that works with electricity. I let her fix all the broken phones and replace the caps whenever it's needed.

A real "dream woman", eh? 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 11 of 35, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Realistically there are many women interested in tech and retro-computing, and possibly on VOGONS right now.
They might not be overt about it, but statistics are on their side. If I look at my YT channel, at least 8% of my viewers are female. It's not much, but it's something.

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 13 of 35, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yea mine would prefer to take it all outside, cover it in gas and throw a match, she doesn't because i already told her if she did id just have to spend our rent money to replace what she burns up 🤣

Reply 14 of 35, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My wife isn't interested in the hobby directly, but she does play with the older computers and consoles on her own sometimes. She loved my Atari 800XL. I remember walking back into the room where I was testing it after a half hour phone call in another room and she was playing Temple of Apshai and had the most sheepish grin on her face when I caught her.

She has an old G5 tower she keeps in order to keep her older PowerPC DAW software collection going, and she wants me to find her a TurboGrafx-16. She's not into the older PCs though, but does like to watch me play games on them and gets a kick out of watching me beat my head against a wall whenever I run into issues getting something to work.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 16 of 35, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:

Yea mine would prefer to take it all outside, cover it in gas and throw a match, she doesn't because i already told her if she did id just have to spend our rent money to replace what she burns up 🤣

In before the divorce. Haha. Nice idea on the rent.

Reply 18 of 35, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've never had a girlfriend who is also interested in retro computing. Come to think of it, I've never had a girlfriend who is an audiophile either. I'm not saying there is no female audiophile nor female computer enthusiast though; I'm just saying I've never had one.

Errius wrote:

Apparently most video game players are female nowadays. The Sims franchise is a big deal largely because of women.

I don't mean to sound chauvinistic, but isn't it because The Sims is like doll-house? I wonder how many women enjoy Call of Duty or Total Air War.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19 of 35, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems like you are having more success at starting this topic than I did more than 5 years ago. How does your wife feel about your retro hobby?

My wife thinks this hobby is ridiculous and would love nothing more than to see it all gone. I also think it is ridiculous, but I enjoy it anyway.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.