VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So I'm planning to make this swap on a newly acquired computer, question however is do I have to buy ECC Ram like some of the quad core 1366 Xeons or will regular ram work with it, this is my new main rig, my i7 was traded for a master brake cylinder for my Nissian Xterra as the one in it cracked and its the only transportation we have so it was kinda necessary

Reply 1 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regular RAM should work, never heard of a 1366 Xeon that requires ECC.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kamerat wrote:

I have had a few of them in PRecision T3500's that required ECC, we ended up scrapping them at work because we didn't have any extra ECC ram to boost them above 4gb of ram, they where Dual Cores with hyperthreading 1366 Xeons

Reply 3 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
candle_86 wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

I have had a few of them in PRecision T3500's that required ECC, we ended up scrapping them at work because we didn't have any extra ECC ram to boost them above 4gb of ram, they where Dual Cores with hyperthreading 1366 Xeons

I could be wrong, but I have used a lot of 1366 xeons in the past and I don't think any retail 1366 xeons have to use ecc ram. its governed my the mobo chipset/bios, the cpu's can use ether ecc or non ecc ram. but some motherboards can't use non ecc ram.

Reply 4 of 7, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
candle_86 wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

I could be wrong, but I have used a lot of 1366 xeons in the past and I don't think any retail 1366 xeons have to use ecc ram. its governed my the mobo chipset/bios, the cpu's can use ether ecc or non ecc ram. but some motherboards can't use non ecc ram.

Well on one of them we put in a Core i7 from a blown T3500 just to test, and suddenly it didn't require ECC 🤣

Reply 5 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

what cpu did they have? Maybe the motherboard bios required ecc ram when ever a xeon was in it

I used a lot of 1366 Xeons in the past and this is the first I hard of the ecc requirement.

Reply 6 of 7, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here - all my Nehalem-based Xeons (either E55x or W35xx) works just fine using regular DDR3 and Gigabyte X58 board. Westmere should be no different.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware