VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Thanks, zerker. I recently loaded up Exult and timed the guard to see what the Exult developers decided on as a fixed speed. I got 35.6 seconds, or 32 fps. I'm not sure if this is the organic speed of the game or if it's some speed that the Exult developers settled on.

Maybe Dominus can tell you, since he's around. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 22 of 28, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Thanks, zerker. I recently loaded up Exult and timed the guard to see what the Exult developers decided on as a fixed speed. I got 35.6 seconds, or 32 fps. I'm not sure if this is the organic speed of the game or if it's some speed that the Exult developers settled on.

Is this based on your original assumption that the game runs at 24 FPS on a DX33, though? I would load up an unmodded UVII in a DOSBOX revision with Vsync, cap the FPS at 24 and count the trips to see if they match up with your assumption.

Reply 23 of 28, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:

I would load up an unmodded UVII in a DOSBOX revision with Vsync, cap the FPS at 24 and count the trips to see if they match up with your assumption.

How do you enable vsync and cap the fps in DOSBox?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 24 of 28, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a capture card I wrote a program for to estimate source fps. Didn't think to use it with ultima 7, but with it I can see that where the thread's method would say about 35 fps, world events like waving flags etc. are being redrawn at a max of about 10 fps. You can still move the cursor at 70 fps while that goes on. So I think the variable of interest is the world update rate, not so much the fps which can be notably higher.

Reply 25 of 28, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
infiniteclouds wrote:

I would load up an unmodded UVII in a DOSBOX revision with Vsync, cap the FPS at 24 and count the trips to see if they match up with your assumption.

How do you enable vsync and cap the fps in DOSBox?

You need one of the SVN DAUM builds.

Reply 27 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of Ultima VII, I just learned that its "Voodoo" memory mananger used unreal mode.
No idea if this infomation is of any use (any degradations in performance ?), but I wanted you to know about it.
It's menioned down in a posting at http://www.os2museum.com/wp/a-brief-history-of-unreal-mode/

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//