VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anybody have any similar games? I remember playing a couple of shareware (could have been freeware) games back in 2000 that were very similar visually. For the longest time, I thought it was the same game, but I went ahead and tried it today and it wasn't it.
The games I remember were Part 1 and Part 2 essentially, probably Win3.1 applications and with very few colors used throughout, so very similar to Castle of the Winds in that regard.

I remember that the character sprite resembled a knight in armor, maybe someone's played it?

I think I'll have a hard time tracking this down, it's probably lost in the "late 90's shareware/freeware void" TM.

Reply 2 of 10, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No that wasn't it, it's way too colorful. Also, I don't remember having a party, it was a single character affair.

Colors were sparse, a lot like this:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/castle-of … eShotId,623100/

Reply 4 of 10, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sadly, none of these are the game I'm referring to. One is a Mac game and the other is a low res DOS game.
Taskmaker looks kinda nice, I love the dithering effect used! I might give this one a look, thanks!

Reply 7 of 10, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately it's none of these games. I distinctly remember playing this game in 2001, no later, so it must have been released before that year. I'm also 100% sure it's a Windows game, it ran in a window on the desktop, which is why I think it might have been a Win3.1 program.
Also, it wasn't a party based game 😁.

Reply 8 of 10, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

The games I remember were Part 1 and Part 2 essentially, probably Win3.1 applications and with very few colors used throughout, so very similar to Castle of the Winds in that regard.

I remember that the character sprite resembled a knight in armor, maybe someone's played it?

Could it have been the Winged Warrior series? There are two games with colourful graphics, and the protagonist is a knight in armour.

Also check out Rogue's Quest just in case.

That, and as I first thought you were asking for suggestions of similar games in this thread, there's a modern roguelike with very similar art style to Castle of the Winds called Fame which you might want to check out.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games