VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am sitting here looking at my newly acquired (and what I believe to be genuine) factory sealed copy of Star Wars: Rebel Assault II for the PC (incidentally the first Playstation game I owned) and I wonder about breaking the factory seal.

I mean on the one hand, I could get a playable copy for even less money. At the same time it seems a shame to let it sit there unused??

What do you guys do? I mean leaving a 1st run copy of DOOM in a sealed box I could understand... but on the other hand... meh ? Personally I hate sealed copies because it drives the price up. But I understand some people want to collect / preserve. (but how can you really preserve if you don't break the seal to make copies ensuring data integrity)

Reply 1 of 10, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, are you displaying it or planning to sell it for profit? If not, I don't see any reason to keep things sealed. Personally, shrink-wrapped boxes are just embarrassing to me, and I very rarely sell anything.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 6 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always get the feeling that anyone telling you to keep things sealed is being selfish, less sealed copies in circulation = less opportunity for them to invest for profit.

Games are toys. Toys are meant to be played with.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 7 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it is my only copy and I plan on using it, yes. 99% of my vintage software gets opened when I buy it.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Somehow I forgot to reply here.

I'd say keep it sealed unless you want to actually use it. You do have spare copies of that game, don't you? 😜

I only got a couple sealed ones, but that's the way I bought them in the shops when new. I just never needed to actually open them as I already had other copies so I always preferred to use those.

I'm mostly kinda with badmojo, keropi, SquallStrife and Unknown_K here. I keep things sealed but won't really make a fuzz about it to open it when I actually need it (but I might perhaps film/piccy it 🤣)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by Neco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some interesting viewpoints expressed for sure.

My biggest thing about opening a sealed product is, sure its nice to preserve things for history, so what about degradation? Its basically in the best environment it will ever be in until you break that seal.
But undoubtedly its easy to leave it sealed and find copies online, or just buy jewel case only or open box, etc.

I think I will open it though. I intend to play it at some point, when my retro machine gets built

Reply 10 of 10, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neco wrote:
Some interesting viewpoints expressed for sure. […]
Show full quote

Some interesting viewpoints expressed for sure.

My biggest thing about opening a sealed product is, sure its nice to preserve things for history, so what about degradation? Its basically in the best environment it will ever be in until you break that seal.
But undoubtedly its easy to leave it sealed and find copies online, or just buy jewel case only or open box, etc.

I think I will open it though. I intend to play it at some point, when my retro machine gets built

Not always, you could surprise yourself with what shrinkwrapping does to old unused vinyls. (I did!) Most of the times an item that is well taken care of as well as known to be functional holds a higher place than the prettiest of the prettiest doorstops. 😀. Plus you could always leave most of the cellophane so that the box doesn't wear out. Enjoy your stuff bro!

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png