VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many of my music player requires that I run them with a path to the files I want to play. Often times this path is different from computers to computers depending file system, it's not easy to browse with command.com. I end up with many launcher .bat on player's directory. So I was wondering if anybody had any recommendation about a shell that would work specifically well with the idea of browsing the files to play them with different players. I had stuff like : midnight commander, norton, file commander, in mind... Any recommendations ?

Reply 5 of 9, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Do commanders support something like "open with" depending on the file extension?

yes, for DOS i would use Norton Commander with its extension association.

i used to play .mod musics, or play emulated gameboy, viewing pictures files that way.

-fffuuu

Reply 6 of 9, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote:

It's good (very good) but it can't recognize mp3s with ID3V2 tags.
But it's open source, so this problem is theoretically fixable. (and ogg support would be good, too)

Reply 7 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it should be a media player for dos like kodi external players. You can enqueue a whole directory subtreesearch to sbvgm.exe and dosmid.exe (no m3u please) with a click of the keyboard. Maybe there is a winamp dos version,

Reply 8 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zirkoni wrote:

OCP really ? you could use the file selector of OCP and use an external player ? that would be great, "the man" had a good file selector

Reply 9 of 9, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did used OCP this afternoon for some reason and I had to edit cp.ini, so I took a particular attention about multi-player support. I found that it could do it. But there is a catch, I would like to use different player or configuration for a given file extension. For instance, on a computer I have sb1.5 with C/MS, GUS classic and mt-32 (I know this list is overkill for my example, but I like to enumerate stuff), So let say I would like to register player 1 to be DOSMID.EXE with the /sbmidi to use the mt32. External player 2 would be just that with the /opl parameters to use the sb1.5.

Mpxplayer I dont think 2.61 for dos support external players... too bad seem to make great playlist...

I havent found how to support external player quick QuickView, I dont think it does.

Funny norton command is not included in norton utility 8 for dos. This software seem awesome, no wonder why it inspired so much other file browser. But all I can seem to find from the readme.txt is how to define a viewer for a specific file type. Tool menu is just a list of shortcut to defined programs, not even related to the select file or directory... 😮 I was expecting more from such a program (I found the 5.51 version).

I found Dos Navigator that was somewhat better at handling files and directory with external player, maybe I'll fiddle with it a bit some more later.