VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I collect and use vintage computers - because for me "home" was always in the past - even as a child I was always painting 1920-30 era cars and 1910's wooden airplanes, not Ferraris and Transformers as other kids around) ... So I don't live in the past, but I keep things from the past as part of my dayly life - mechanical watches, tape players, etc. And I collect not only computers, but watches, electric guitars, books, film cameras and foto stuff, tape players, audio devices and many other things... Also I deal with local retro-communities from lovers of the Medieval times to reconstructors of 18-19 century dances and people who find and oficially follow to grave remains of Soviet soldiers, killed in the WWII and many other kind of people... So do collect some other kind of vintage stuff besides computers, or not ?

Reply 1 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do retro PC games also count? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I collect EVERYTHING retro.

Cameras
Typewriters
Computers
Radios
Clocks
Watches
etc.
You name it.
See http://timelessmachines.weebly.com

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 3 of 62, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Do retro PC games also count? 😜

I think, no... 😀 As it's from the same "field" - computers and PC games) ... I mean something tottaly different, like keroseene lamps or bicycles...)

Reply 4 of 62, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

Great site you have and a great collection ! I have some cameras, which looks like Premoette Senior - but a bit more sofisticated - one Agfa, one with Compour lens... I think they are about late 1920s - early 1930s. I can send you how they look, if you can help to identify them) Maybe your site and collection will inspire me to bring these cameras back to life... )

Reply 6 of 62, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Errius wrote:

That's a Sopwith Triplane in Russian colors isn't it? I like airplanes as well as computers...

Unlike french Nieuport 11, 16 or 17, Sopwith Triplane wasn't used by the Russian army... It's common Brittish colors...

There was a set of 800x600 wallpapers dedicated to WWI aviation - I keep it since mid 2000's - first I downloaded it with A P-II machine i had back then - on Asus P2bf - I used to play Red Baron II on it - my favorite Flight sim of all time)

Sopwith Triplane wasn't very widespread on the Western Front like Pup or, later, Camel... It was a genius design for it's time, I think, very "user friendly device" as we can say now). If I could afford to build a reproduction of a historic plane - 50% it would be the Sopwith Triplane, other 50% - Nieuport 11 ...

Here's a short info about it on the aerodrome.com

http://www.theaerodrome.com/aircraft/gbritain … th_triplane.php

Reply 7 of 62, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder how is it to fly it. I've never flown open cockpit planes (or bi-planes for that matter). I assume due to low engine power and the fact that it is quite light it probably glides well. I am impressed with the high ceiling of 20000 feet. Should be fun to try one of those one day. Where I live in Florida there are a couple aviation museums with open cockpit airplanes, I should rent one of those one day.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 8 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ScoutPilot19 wrote:
keenmaster486 wrote:

Great site you have and a great collection ! I have some cameras, which looks like Premoette Senior - but a bit more sofisticated - one Agfa, one with Compour lens... I think they are about late 1920s - early 1930s. I can send you how they look, if you can help to identify them) Maybe your site and collection will inspire me to bring these cameras back to life... )

Thanks! Yeah, if you send me pics of those cameras from the front and back, I can tell you all about them!

Reply 9 of 62, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vladstamate wrote:

I wonder how is it to fly it. I've never flown open cockpit planes (or bi-planes for that matter). I assume due to low engine power and the fact that it is quite light it probably glides well. I am impressed with the high ceiling of 20000 feet. Should be fun to try one of those one day. Where I live in Florida there are a couple aviation museums with open cockpit airplanes, I should rent one of those one day.

A lot of old school pilots in the 1920s and 30s disliked closed cockpits and resisted flying in them. Some of the early airliners had a closed heated cabin for passengers with the pilots in an open cockpit outside (e.g. Armstrong Whitworth Argosy):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skylarkair/21817690452

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not really 'collecting', more like 'using'.

sansuiau7900resized_zps18e9ef3b.jpg

JBL%204410%20buy01%20pic%2001_zpsbsb9kigs.jpg

JBL%20L20T%20Sansui%20A-40%2002_zpsr2zt47ra.jpg

JBL%20L20T%20Sansui%20A-40%2001_zpsycg1m9ib.jpg

Again%20me%20and%20my%201980%20FJ40%20Land%20Cruiser_zpsxa4of5ky.jpg

Me%20and%20my%201980%20FJ40%20Land%20Cruiser_zpsluqu0nje.jpg

fOQC2le.jpg

Last edited by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman on 2017-03-11, 16:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 11 of 62, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Video Game Systems and Cartridges
Books
Comic Books
Old Radios
Cassette Tapes
VHS Tapes
CD's
DVD's
Old Calculators
Sony Stereo Components (but I would trade 3 of my Sony receivers for one Sansui amp like Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman's one he posted above!!!! - That's a beauty for sure)
And I used to collect Cadillac parts and I guess cars too...I used to own a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado and a 1977 Coupe Deville and a 1984 Chevy Caprice Classic and 1991 Buick Roadmaster.

I mostly collect this stuff for nostalgia reasons and I prefer using some older tech for the most part.

Reply 12 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Not really 'collecting', more like 'using'.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this!

I NEVER just let something vintage from my collection just sit on a shelf.

If I can't use it, I don't buy it.

In fact, I'm just about to go walking around taking pictures with a vintage film camera.

EDIT: P.S. Kreshna, I'm not that much into vintage speakers but you might be interested to know that my dad has used a pair of Klipsch KG-4 clones that he built in high school as the main living room speakers for years. They sound just as good as real KG-4's (coming from me that's a real compliment cause I'm annoyingly picky about audio quality), which is a miracle because he didn't even do any calculations or anything when he built them.

Reply 13 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

Sony Stereo Components (but I would trade 3 of my Sony receivers for one Sansui amp like Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman's one he posted above!!!! - That's a beauty for sure)

Sansui integrateds are plentiful on ebay, and low-watt models like my A-40 aren't really expensive. Good hunting! 😀

keenmaster486 wrote:

EDIT: P.S. Kreshna, I'm not that much into vintage speakers but you might be interested to know that my dad has used a pair of Klipsch KG-4 clones that he built in high school as the main living room speakers for years. They sound just as good as real KG-4's (coming from me that's a real compliment cause I'm annoyingly picky about audio quality), which is a miracle because he didn't even do any calculations or anything when he built them.

Interesting. Did he copy the exact dimensions of the original KG-4? Also, do you have photos?

I remember auditioning a pair of Klipsch KG-4.2 in early 2015. They indeed have impressive bass, but HF details leaves a lot to be desired --certainly nowhere as impressive as JBL titanium speakers.

keenmaster486 wrote:

I NEVER just let something vintage from my collection just sit on a shelf.

If I can't use it, I don't buy it.

In fact, I'm just about to go walking around taking pictures with a vintage film camera.

Come to think of it, I have come to realize I'm not really a collector either. When I stockpile a certain kind of hardware, it is because the hardware is suitable to build the system I want, instead of its collectible values (or the lack thereof). A Voodoo5 5500, for example, makes it possible to activate FSAA on most GLide games, and some of my favorite flight sims just happen to be GLide games. And that's the reason I 'collect' Voodoo5 5500 video cards. On the other hand, I'd never buy something purely because of its collectible values. You wouldn't find me buying a pair of JBL 4311's, for example, because I don't really like the sound despite the speakers' historical value.

So, no, I'm not really a collector. And it's kinda ironic, because both my grandpa (on my dad's side) and my dad were both collectors. My grandpa collected purebred horses, while my dad collected vintage 4x4 offroaders. Turned out I don't really inherit their traits. 😊

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 14 of 62, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. Did he copy the exact dimensions of the original KG-4? Also, do you have photos?

I remember auditioning a pair of Klipsch KG-4.2 in early 2015. They indeed have impressive bass, but HF details leaves a lot to be desired --certainly nowhere as impressive as JBL titanium speakers.

Yeah, they're exact clones as far as dimensions go - but the drivers are not the same. He told me he just got whatever he could find locally. Like I said, it's really a miracle that they sound so good. We've had to refoam them once though.

And the high frequencies on these, to me, seem quite crisp and clean. I also don't know how different a KG-4.2 will sound from a KG-4.

The passive radiators really add an awesomeness factor as well.

I don't have pics on me right now, unfortunately 🙁

Reply 15 of 62, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have posted this in the old HiFi-gear thread already but she is worth a repost.

Pioneer SX1250.jpg
Filename
Pioneer SX1250.jpg
File size
180.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 16 of 62, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really like the performance of horn loaded drivers. I haven't tried Klipsch hardware, but I like JBL. I hope to do a build using JBL/Selenium horns paired in a two way configuration once time allows.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 17 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote:

Yeah, they're exact clones as far as dimensions go - but the drivers are not the same. He told me he just got whatever he could find locally. Like I said, it's really a miracle that they sound so good. We've had to refoam them once though.

A fortunate coincidence, I think. I knew quite a lot of speakers whose drivers have been replaced with non-original drivers, but even those replacement drivers are selected carefully to ensure their Thiele/Small parameters don't differ much from those of the original drivers. Your dad, on the other hand, just got whatever he could find locally, so it's quite amazing.

keenmaster486 wrote:

And the high frequencies on these, to me, seem quite crisp and clean. I also don't know how different a KG-4.2 will sound from a KG-4.

I've never auditioned KG-4 myself, but with KG 4.2, HF details are very sensitive to vertical placement. The speakers were put on the floor, without stand, so the horn tweeters were way below my ears. From that the position, the speakers sounded rather muddy. Then I sat on the floor to put my ears on the same horizontal plane with the tweeters, then the HF improved. My JBL 120Ti's, on the other hand, are more tolerant to the tweeter's vertical position. I could have the tweeters way below my ears and it doesn't reduce HF details in noticeable ways. Perhaps horn tweeters are more directional than dome tweeters, I'm not sure.

Skyscraper wrote:

I have posted this in the old HiFi-gear thread already but she is worth a repost.

Pioneer SX1250.jpg

Thumbs up!

gdjacobs wrote:

I really like the performance of horn loaded drivers. I haven't tried Klipsch hardware, but I like JBL. I hope to do a build using JBL/Selenium horns paired in a two way configuration once time allows.

Klipsch horn speakers seem to be hate/love things. Funnily enough, I know people who doesn't hate JBL horns despite their hatred on Klipsch horns. Klipsch are way more sensitive though, a perfect companion for your flea amp, so Klipsch should be the speakers of choice for those who are scrupulous about signal purity.

Reply 18 of 62, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last few years I've been getting all my old Lego shipped from Oz to the UK. Now its all here I'm replacing missing/broken bits to make complete models again. Latest sets would have been round 95/96. Funny enough it was getting our 1st PC (which I have also brought over) was what finally killed my interest in Lego.
That gets expensive quick though, and once I've built a model I'm not really sure what to do with it (don't have space to display them) so go though periods of Lego interest, where as computers are year round.

Keeping eye out for parts to do up mums 74 Superbeetle which she had since new. That's promised to me someday and have plans to do it up.

Have a few old clocks round the house as well but don't really collect them

Reply 19 of 62, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't really *collect* anything else, but I definitely use things forever. My car I bought new in 2003 and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. My headphones are Grado SR60s, which I bought new in late 80s. Same with my Trek mountain bike (1980's). Still using same Yamaha amp for my entertainment center that I bought in early 2000's, and only in the past year have I finally upgraded my 37" Toshiba CRT TV to a basic 42" LED. The CRT still works great and now is used in the computer room with the Wii and Dreamcast.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks