VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 32, by dondiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's done, intel quark is a 486dx4 @400 mhz on a 42 nm process and has additional pentium instructions emulated in microcode. It's a SOC for microcontroller boards so the chip contains more stuff.

LZDoom, ZDoom32, ZDoom LE
RUDE (Doom)
Romero's Heresy II (Heretic)

Reply 21 of 32, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think reverse engineering the VSA-100 would be very expensive.

Does the Quark include legacy chipset functions like ISA with DMA? It's not intended for compatibility the same way that Vortex86 is.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 22 of 32, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What I'd like to see would honestly be a K6-III but maybe at say 45nm, lets not get to crazy. They could quadruple the L2 to 1mb, and call it a K6-IV that would be awesome

Reply 23 of 32, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

But it would be a marketing failure. You do know it costs ruffly between 100-200k just to fab a motherboard with a developet platform. Not to mention one that would need the chipset and CPU made. My sources say it can cost upto 10bil to fab a new CPU from scratch useing 45nm or 32mn. thats including the cost of everything, pay, equipment, and R&D.
Obliviously a newer k6 would cost much MUCH less and it's already developed and what not.

Reply 24 of 32, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

But it would be a marketing failure. You do know it costs ruffly between 100-200k just to fab a motherboard with a developet platform. Not to mention one that would need the chipset and CPU made. My sources say it can cost upto 10bil to fab a new CPU from scratch useing 45nm or 32mn. thats including the cost of everything, pay, equipment, and R&D.
Obliviously a newer k6 would cost much MUCH less and it's already developed and what not.

You do realize we're just fantasizing here. 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 25 of 32, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

True, but fantasize right. 😎

How about a p4 at 14nm that runs at 10ghz+. Or a Piii with 4 cores per die at 45nm running at 2ghz with 1mb l2 pre core? The k6 is a dead end in manny ways. If we're going to spend billions of pretend money lets make it count. 🤣

Reply 26 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me a retro system reboot needs unbridged ISA slots, that is for sure. And maybe I would rather see a i440BX chipset+mainboard reboot then a CPU. With SATA controller in the southbridge, proper 50..166MHz FSB support adjustable in software. But in case of a CPU reboot it would have to be socket 370 (not Slot 1 like i suggested earlier) since I really like the tinkering options of slotkets.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 27 of 32, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

True, but fantasize right. 😎

How about a p4 at 14nm that runs at 10ghz+. Or a Piii with 4 cores per die at 45nm running at 2ghz with 1mb l2 pre core? The k6 is a dead end in manny ways. If we're going to spend billions of pretend money lets make it count. 🤣

We already have that, they call it Core 2 Quad 😜

Reply 32 of 32, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I read on the Vortex86 Wiki that the Vortex86DX is the last one to support the ISA bus. There are some with ISA slots here.

On second thought, would this really be desirable over, for example, a (Mini-)ATX i440BX Slot 1/Socket 370 motherboard with a VIA C3 1200MHz? The VIA is also a late production low power CPU. I have one from 2006 running fine on 1,3 Volt. The wiki says that the Vortex is derived from the socket 7 Rise mP6 processor, whereas the VIA C3 comes from the IDT Winchip design.

The Vortex86 website is full of dead links (missing PDFs), and the spec sheet there is not matching the info on the wiki...

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul