VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 64, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some early MT-32 titles such as Heart of China utilize glitches that are present in the 1st generation modules and were corrected in second gen units (as well as the CM-32L). The old units can be differentiated by the absence of a headphone jack.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 41 of 64, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In 2008 I paid $1,250 for a mint in box PowerBook G4 17" purely as a collectible. I knew it would lose value, but if I waited another five years for prices to hit bottom the chances of finding one complete in the box would be zero. It's probably only worth about $500 today but in another ten years it will be a rare find and potentially worth much more, though I'll probably hold onto it - it's a beautiful design. I probably booted it once or twice and it's been on a shelf ever since.

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 42 of 64, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SiliconClassics wrote:

In 2008 I paid $1,250 for a mint in box PowerBook G4 17" purely as a collectible. I knew it would lose value, but if I waited another five years for prices to hit bottom the chances of finding one complete in the box would be zero. It's probably only worth about $500 today but in another ten years it will be a rare find and potentially worth much more, though I'll probably hold onto it - it's a beautiful design. I probably booted it once or twice and it's been on a shelf ever since.

You need to charge the battey once every 10 years or so or it will be hard to charge agan, at least with the laptop. I would do it every 5 years or perhaps even every other year just to be sure (I'm assuming they are Lithium cells).

Don't charge the battery to 100% but to ~80% and keep the battery outside the computer if it's removable then the battery should be as good as new even in 20 years time. 😀

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 43 of 64, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Some early MT-32 titles such as Heart of China utilize glitches that are present in the 1st generation modules and were corrected in second gen units (as well as the CM-32L). The old units can be differentiated by the absence of a headphone jack.

Ah, I remember something. When playing Ultima Underworld with MUNT, I remember had to choose the correct version of ROM dump, otherwise the footsteps sound wrong.

What I don't remember is where did I get all those dumps though. 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 45 of 64, by SiliconClassics

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

You need to charge the battey once every 10 years...

Thanks, that's just the excuse I need to pull it out of mothballs and tinker with it for a few hours 😀

Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Reply 47 of 64, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

Not that you could say, even if you could remember...

I thought Roland has allowed MT-32 ROM dumps to be shared?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 48 of 64, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They may have released the ROMs into public domain accidentally, but it's controversial.
newsflash: mt32 roms are now in the public domain

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 49 of 64, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:

They may have released the ROMs into public domain accidentally, but it's controversial.
newsflash: mt32 roms are now in the public domain

I see.

I swear I once found a Munt download link with complete ROM dumps. Sadly I don't remember it anymore. Argh.

Reply 50 of 64, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the expensive things was very long ago, i did not have idea about the prices, what is good, what is high end, rare and such...

Par of G. Skill DDR400 x2 1GB - 35 euros for them.....
EPoX 8RDA+ Pro - 20 euros
ATi FireGL x3 - 30 euros

Recently a year ago i did buy MSi GEforce FX5950 Ultra for 12 euro, is not much, but still i did want to pay only 5 euro..

Attachments

• G. Skill.jpg
    Filename
    G. Skill.jpg
    File size
    627.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • ATi firegl.jpg
    Filename
    ATi firegl.jpg
    File size
    602.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 5950 ultra.jpg
    Filename
    5950 ultra.jpg
    File size
    739.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 51 of 64, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definitely the CM32-L. It was over 300 euros.. I winced and shut my eyes when I bought it, but it was fully boxed, mint condition, and had the fixed ROM. I could only justify it on the basis that at least I'll never need to buy another one.

After that, probably the hxc floppy emulator, and the Music Quest clone card. I got a fairly decent deal on the Powermac G5 so that's not in the painful stakes.

Reply 54 of 64, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

$150 shipped for an AWE64 with the original 28MB upgrade board along with a Yamaha SW60XG.

Considering that the AWE64 upgrade board and the SW60XG are pretty impossible to find, and when one does pop up the price is insane, I think I got a pretty good deal.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 55 of 64, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$100 for Voodoo4 4500 AGP. It has been more expensive, then whole PC in which it is...

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 56 of 64, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The most expensive item I can recall buying for an old computer item is $199 for a SuperMicro P3TDE, which is a dual Tualatin board based on the ServerWorks ServerSet III HE-SL. It contains dual-channel SDRAM, 6 PCI-X slots and 1 AGP 2X/Pro slot. I think this is the only non-VIA, dual-Tualatin board with AGP and PCI-X. Anyway, when I received it, it contained two Coppermine CPUs and powered up in this condition, but would not start-up with the Tualatins installed. The manual specifies "Single or dual Pentium® III FCPGA 500 MHz-1.40 GHz FCPGA processors with a 512K L2 cache at front bus speeds of 133 and 100 MHz", so I couldn't understand why the Tualatin's didn't work. After much goofing around, the board stopped turning on with any CPUs, even after recapping. I bought the board on eBay, but unfortunately, waited 6 months before testing it. I had even bought a specific EATX case for it.

It is pretty depressing that my most expensive purchase was a lemon.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 57 of 64, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stuff that's sold "as is" with no returns sometimes sits in the corner for months (or in the case of one laptop, years) before I look at it.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 58 of 64, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Only a few years back i was offered a Voodoo5 5500 pci mac edition (flashed for pc) from another local 3dfx collector complete in box for 80 euro's. I knew it was very reasonable but i didn't see the extra value of the box at that time (or the mac card) and i mostly bought bare 3dfx cards. I also already had the voodoo5 pci and agp so at first i thanked for the offer and didn't take it.

2 days later i bought it anyway thinking i could always sell it for the same price or higher...

Now i have way more boxed items and the voodoo mac is my favorite item. I declined a recent very good offer for it of over 350 euro, but it's not for sale. 80 euro is the highest i ever paid for a component but looking back it was dirt cheap.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1