VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 64, by vladstamate

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$250 for a working PDP11 (just base unit, no drives)

$300 for a SWTPC 6800 and a ADM 3a terminal

$150 for an IBM PC 5150 (low serial number, perfect working condition) came with a 5151 monitor too which got shattered in the post 🙁.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7HbC_nq8t1S9l7qGYL0mTA
Collection: http://www.digiloguemuseum.com/index.html
Emulator: https://sites.google.com/site/capex86/
Raytracer: https://sites.google.com/site/opaqueraytracer/

Reply 23 of 64, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just checked it, and only these retro items have managed to cost me € 30 or more:
- Pentium III Coppermine ES unlocked - € 55 (2009)
- Midi Daughterboard Terratec Wave XTable - € 42 (2011)
- Midi Daughterboard Terratec 4MB + Maestro 32 + Manuals - € 40 (2009)
- Turtle Beach Monterey (Tahiti + Rio Daughterboard) + Manuals - € 36 (2009)
- Turtle Beach Montego II Home Studio (PCI) with Cancun FX Daughterboard, Boxed - € 32 (2007)
- Midi Daughterboard Korg Topwave 32 + Manual - € 32 (2007)
- Midi Daughterboard Yamaha DB50XG - € 31 (2007)
- Midi Daughterboard Terratec 4MB - € 30 (2012)
(prices are with the postage included)

Beegle wrote:
Hmmmm. I paid overwhelming prices for a couple of things computer-related. Here's the sound card list that's a testament to my […]
Show full quote

Hmmmm. I paid overwhelming prices for a couple of things computer-related.
Here's the sound card list that's a testament to my weeping wallet.

Top 5 :
106€ for an AdLib Multimedia ASC 32/64, no box, no drivers.
168$ for two Covox Speech Thing, no box.
198€ for a Roland SCC-1, no box, no software.
380$ for an AdLib Gold, complete in box.
492$ for an IBM PC Music Feature, no box, no drivers.

And here are some expensive things, that today would be even more since the retro-market has changed so much.
Oddities :
120$ for a CT1330 SB Pro 1, no box, no software.
150$ for a Gravis Ultrasound 2.1, no box.
156€ for a SB16 + Waveblaster 1, no box.
159$ for an AdLib, in box.
265$ for a LAPC-I new in box.

These are prices where my wallet chickens out 😜 Real nice things though!

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 24 of 64, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

$300 for a complete 486 DX4-100 system, with 8 MBs of RAM, an SB16 CT2290, some Trident 512K ISA video,250 meg Conner HDD and a PC Chips M912 v1.7 motherboard.

It's been remodeled and upgraded to my DOS/3.11 gaming machine, with actual VLB components and 64 megs of ram 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 27 of 64, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

$300 for a complete 486 DX4-100 system, with 8 MBs of RAM, an SB16 CT2290, some Trident 512K ISA video,250 meg Conner HDD and a PC Chips M912 v1.7 motherboard.

It's been remodeled and upgraded to my DOS/3.11 gaming machine, with actual VLB components and 64 megs of ram 🤣

I almost bought a fully built 486 which had a VLB motherboard, 32MB of RAM, an AMD X5 CPU overclocked to 160Mhz, ET6000 video card, A good soundcard with a Wavetable forget which one and a bunch of other pretty sought after stuff. He wanted 400 bucks for it, I couldn't get myself to do it.

Reply 28 of 64, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote:
luckybob wrote:

$400 - dual pentium pro board from russia. 😜

How much did you pay in customs charges?

none actually... i didn't complain.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 29 of 64, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the mid 2000's I got an interest in being a dedicated Compaq collector for awhile, because I had a clone of the Deskpro 386 right on down to the general style of the case. The Deskpro 386 would probably be my favorite PC of the 1980's.

The most I ever paid for a full system was around $60.00 for an original 1986 Compaq Deskpro 386 Model 2570 in 2003/early 04' off of E-bay. It was ALL Original complete with EGA card, I then spent another $30.00 and got the Compaq Deskpro DSM Amber Mono EGA capable CRT with it (IN the friggin original box no less). Spent that summer playing classic Sierra Leisure Suit Larry games on that setup, I felt like I was back in 1988. It even came with the Case Keys! I sold it for more than I bought it for in 2005 to fund my move and fix the transmission on my truck...Here's a pic of that one.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2478&d=1227504996

Most I ever spent on a barebones was on a Deskpro 286 $21.99 - It needed a new PSU so I spent another $30.00 on a new Compaq Deskpro 8086/286/386 PSU for it. The last time I ever saw it it was in the shed at Mom's house, not sure if it's still there...the monitor is the same one as on the Deskpro 386 above, I used to flip flop it between the two (the 386 spent some time on an 8-port AT KVM with seven other computers at that time).
attachment.php?attachmentid=2480&d=1227504996

On random hardware most I ever spent per part....I've never paid over $70 for any single part to a retro-PC, much because my biggest buying/selling days are far behind me in the mid 2000's.

Power Supply - $60 - NOS in original box 200 Watt JD Micro Devices XT PSU for the case below, which is what my 486 is using now, bought that a month ago

Case - $45.00 - NOS SongCheer XT chassis, which is what my 486 is also using, it came with a 150 Watt NOS PSU and I got to put it together right on down to the feet. I will NEVER let go of this case until probably when I get too old for this stuff (which will be awhile). It's been a Pentium 200, an XT clone, and a 486 in it's lifetime where it was used. A funny anecdote was the case was delivered 4 days before I actually got it, it was delivered to the elderly lady up the street I cat-sat for, 🤣, dagnab you FedEx!

Motherboard - $35.00 - The FIC 486-PVT I have as well, It was to replace a board that got destroyed for senseless reasons I'd rather not get into (having nothing to do with me). I'm hating the idea I'm probably going to top this soon buying another one if I can't fix this one.

Most I ever spent on RAM - again, recently, $26.00 for 128MB of FP Parity 72 pin SIMMS

Most I ever spent on a CPU for retro hardware.....that'd be the 486 DX4-100 I bought, $15, because it was a gold-scrapper special.

Man I miss the days when people just GAVE me this stuff and paid me to take it away sometimes even. Whodathunk the junk 15 years ago would be today's most desired hardware in the retro PC scene, go figure.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 30 of 64, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
creepingnet wrote:
In the mid 2000's I got an interest in being a dedicated Compaq collector for awhile, because I had a clone of the Deskpro 386 r […]
Show full quote

In the mid 2000's I got an interest in being a dedicated Compaq collector for awhile, because I had a clone of the Deskpro 386 right on down to the general style of the case. The Deskpro 386 would probably be my favorite PC of the 1980's.

The most I ever paid for a full system was around $60.00 for an original 1986 Compaq Deskpro 386 Model 2570 in 2003/early 04' off of E-bay. It was ALL Original complete with EGA card, I then spent another $30.00 and got the Compaq Deskpro DSM Amber Mono EGA capable CRT with it (IN the friggin original box no less). Spent that summer playing classic Sierra Leisure Suit Larry games on that setup, I felt like I was back in 1988. It even came with the Case Keys! I sold it for more than I bought it for in 2005 to fund my move and fix the transmission on my truck...Here's a pic of that one.

These really are the bee's knee's. I don't think I could ever part with any of my Compaq gear though. These systems really are getting down to the last few. In a couple more years they will be gone... except in private collections, or museums.

Standing up to IBM like that in the 80's takes crazy mad Texas cajones! They did it so well... they've got lifetime respect from me.

Thanks for sharing these beauties!

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 31 of 64, by 386_junkie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The crown jewel of my collection and something I paid a small fortune for (£170 = $220) was the Compaq Systempro...

225bbd497916805.jpg

It has been one of the biggest buys for sure, and one I will never regret. Unless I become an organ donor... this thing will be buried with me. 🤣

A thread on it is here if anyone is remotely: - The Systempro Project; The Build

Compaq Systempro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ Compaq Junkiepro; EISA Dual 386 ¦ ALR Powerpro; EISA Dual 386

EISA Graphic Cards ¦ EISA Graphic Card Benchmarks

Reply 32 of 64, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rhuwyn wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

I almost bought a fully built 486 which had a VLB motherboard, 32MB of RAM, an AMD X5 CPU overclocked to 160Mhz, ET6000 video card, A good soundcard with a Wavetable forget which one and a bunch of other pretty sought after stuff. He wanted 400 bucks for it, I couldn't get myself to do it.

I think I saw that one on eBay! 😲

It was the one with an OPTi board, right?

Maybe not, but I do remember one with a Travan tape drive, CD ROM, 3.5/5.25 combo drive, OPTi mobo, VLB stuffs and an overclocked AMD cpu at 160 MHz, which I wanted but didn't have money for 😵

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 34 of 64, by Rhuwyn

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:
I think I saw that one on eBay! :exclamation: […]
Show full quote
Rhuwyn wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

I think I saw that one on eBay! 😲

It was the one with an OPTi board, right?

Maybe not, but I do remember one with a Travan tape drive, CD ROM, 3.5/5.25 combo drive, OPTi mobo, VLB stuffs and an overclocked AMD cpu at 160 MHz, which I wanted but didn't have money for 😵

Yeah I think we are talking about the same one in fact. I remember the tape drive now, plus the combo floppy drive.

Reply 36 of 64, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't blame you for paying up for the perfect AT case. They are surprisingly hard to find.

Paid over 100 euro for half a dozen different retro components, never hit 200 euro on anything even with shipping and tax. Mac Voodoo 5, SCC-1, GUS MAX, etc. I guess the one thing I still need in that price range is a CM-32L, but they've always been priced a bit too bonkers compared to MT-32's.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 37 of 64, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386_junkie wrote:
These really are the bee's knee's. I don't think I could ever part with any of my Compaq gear though. These systems really are g […]
Show full quote
creepingnet wrote:
In the mid 2000's I got an interest in being a dedicated Compaq collector for awhile, because I had a clone of the Deskpro 386 r […]
Show full quote

These really are the bee's knee's. I don't think I could ever part with any of my Compaq gear though. These systems really are getting down to the last few. In a couple more years they will be gone... except in private collections, or museums.

Standing up to IBM like that in the 80's takes crazy mad Texas cajones! They did it so well... they've got lifetime respect from me.

Thanks for sharing these beauties!

Glad to, actually, one thing I STILL will watch out for is the Full AT clone of these chassis - yes, there was a CLONE of the Deskpro 8086/286/386, GEM Computer Products of Norcross Georgia made one - the one below....I can't think they are the only company that used this style of case in standard AT form factor (rather than Compaq's though Compaq's is much cleaner and elegant in execution). Actually, the clone was almost identical to the Compaq case except the backplane where the PSU goes and where the Keyboard plugs in (Compaq = keyboard connector on front of motherboard by speaker, GEM = standard AT connector in back using a Right-Angle cable covered by a panel in back to run it to the jack on the front).

attachment.php?attachmentid=35522&d=1484764431

firage wrote:

I wouldn't blame you for paying up for the perfect AT case. They are surprisingly hard to find.

Paid over 100 euro for half a dozen different retro components, never hit 200 euro on anything even with shipping and tax. Mac Voodoo 5, SCC-1, GUS MAX, etc. I guess the one thing I still need in that price range is a CM-32L, but they've always been priced a bit too bonkers compared to MT-32's.

I'd pay over $100+ USD for the case I just posted above your quote. It's one of my "passive look arounds" that I keep in mind.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 39 of 64, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
notsofossil wrote:

Only one I can remember is $50 for my Roland MT-32 1st Gen unit. I've loved using it ever since.

What's the difference between 1st gen unit and other sub-models?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.