VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just came across this tool and website: SFCFix.exe at https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-upda … structions.html

I was working on a broken Windows Update for a client's Win7 laptop. The symptom was there were three updates that failed repeatedly with code 80070490.

I went through every MS-sanctioned knowledge base fix for Windows Update errors associated with that code and nothing worked. The next step was either a repair install or complete reinstall. Then I found that site above. Their Windows Update sub-forum was full of success stories of their staff helping people fix annoying Windows Update issues similar to mine. So I decided to download their utility and give it a shot. It uses the CBS.log file in its diagnosis/repair, so it helps to run 'sfc /scannow' first from an elevated command prompt to get the CBS.log file populated with fresh data. I did this, then ran sfcfix.exe. First go, it fixed some registry errors, but Windows Update was still failing on those three updates I rebooted, ran 'sfc /scannow' followed by sfcfix one more time. It found and repaired more issues. This time, Windows Update successfully installed those three updates.

Anyhow, I wanted to share as many of us here do PC repair either for a living or on the side, and I find failed Windows Update issues some of the most time-consuming and troublesome to fix. This is a nice utility to add to your toolbox.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 1 of 1, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows Update = 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵 😵

Well, this could be useful indeed. Thanks!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.