User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/DavidLightbown … ure+Articles%29

Introduction […]
Show full quote

Introduction

If you were to ask a room of game developers about their first experience making games, many would tell you that it involved using a tool that came with the game that they were already playing. Most likely, they found it tucked away in the same folder as the executable, sporting an enticing name like “editor.exe”.

Many years before Unity 3D, companies such as id Software, Epic, 3D Realms, Blizzard, and BioWare would release tools along with their games, in the hopes that enabling people to create new content would grow the community and extend the lifespan of the game. For many people, these tools were not only exciting to use, but they were also their gateway into the game industry. The content that they created would later become their resumes.

In recent years, retrospectives of classic games have been well received at GDC, but there have been very few stories about classic game tools. This series of articles will attempt to fill that gap, by interviewing key people who were instrumental in the development of those classic game tools.

For the first article of this series, I have the great pleasure of speaking with John Romero about TEd, the tile editor that he created at id Software, which went on to ship 33 games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've looked into the interview... I usually don't use Dosbox too much (not enough time, and most games I've played are VGA games), but it seems interesting that John Romero complains about EGA scrolling. It's that an issue solved in WIP versions?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 7, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the screenshots show DosBOX running at 3000 cycles.

Also, goober.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love TED! Absolutely my favorite map editor even with recent advances in modding tools... It's rugged, simple, easy to use, gets the job done, works in TWO DIFFERENT RESOLUTIONS 🤣 ... I could go on and on.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 5 of 7, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice interview. But someone should tell John Romero that he needs to press Ctrl-Alt-L to launch the game with the player's starting point at the current mouse position. 😀

This will actually move the "player icon" in the level to the mouse location, save the level with that new data and run the game. After the game returns to TEd, the edtor will move the "player icon" back to the previous location. You may have to use the "Change LAUNCH Icon" option from the "Misc" menu while having the player icon selected, otherwise this might not work. I tested it with BioMenace and it worked. However, this may not work for other games that use the compressed ("carmacized") GAMEMAPS file format and/or store the map header internally in the game's executable (for obvious reasons).

What I can say for sure, though, is that the player's starting position is not passed to the game via command-line parameters, only the level number is passed that way. Trust me, I checked the TED5 source code before posting this. There is code that appears to pass a player position via command-line parameters, but that seems to be exclusive to Rise of the Triad (it uses a variable called "rottlaunch") and requires the user to press LShift-Alt-L.

Reply 6 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
K1n9_Duk3 wrote:

press Ctrl-Alt-L to launch the game with the player's starting point at the current mouse position.

How did I not know this?! This is so useful!! 🤣

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 7 of 7, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenmaster486 wrote:

How did I not know this?!

Probably because it isn't documented well enough. As you can see from the Interview, even Romero didn't remember how to use that feature correctly. And the source code wouldn't help most users either. The code checks the keys using hex values, so unless you know which key is represented by that value, you wouldn't know which key to use in the first place.