Retro phone Nokia 3310

Topic actions

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,
what do you think of the new Nokia 3310 announcement? 😀 Do you like and use retro phone just like computers?
Thank

Reply 1 of 46, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the 3310 when it first came out and my next phone was the 8820, which was basically the same phone with a much smaller footprint and the most I've ever paid for a phone (£200 - that was the upgrade fee). I've still got it and it still works. 😀 Loved the changeable fascias.

My favourite 'retro' phone would be the Nokia N900, which I owned in 2009 I think. Proper Linux phone with hard keyboard, nice camera and you could press CTRL-ALT-T for a Terminal window! I sold it when I needed the money and now it's rare and expensive 🙁

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brassicGamer wrote:

I got the 3310 when it first came out and my next phone was the 8820, which was basically the same phone with a much smaller footprint and the most I've ever paid for a phone (£200 - that was the upgrade fee). I've still got it and it still works. 😀 Loved the changeable fascias.

My favourite 'retro' phone would be the Nokia N900, which I owned in 2009 I think. Proper Linux phone with hard keyboard, nice camera and you could press CTRL-ALT-T for a Terminal window! I sold it when I needed the money and now it's rare and expensive 🙁

I never had one myself cause when it was first launched it was a bit expensive and I already had a gsm cheaper phone. But I remember I liked it a lot cause it was a newer idea for mobile phones with a color interchangable case and without the antenna. Also imho it had a really fast menu/os compared to some other phones that was sometime slow, sometime difficult to navigate in menu/submenu.

But the this new one that has been announced let me sad. Maybe I was expecting an impossible perfect clone of the original one that I imagine maybe none could built without the orginal hardware builders rebuilding the original 2000 hardware itself nowdays. So after the nice effect of the newer color retro case, having seen the last features phones build by N like the 1xx,2xx,3xx series based on S40 and S30+, this one seems like a nice good restyling of the older projects like with the S40 platform with infinite models different with cases,display and camera but a real retro project would have been imho a real monochrome phone with a proprietary os/hardware to clone the original one.

Reply 3 of 46, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had one back in 2003, bought second hand and it was indestructable.
If I am thinking about getting the new? Yeah.... As a backup phone I would.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
brostenen wrote:

I had one back in 2003, bought second hand and it was indestructable.
If I am thinking about getting the new? Yeah.... As a backup phone I would.

I already bought some of the last S30+ feature phones and if this had a different os and probably (just a logic feeling) a different hw platform I would have bought it too, but I can't see enough differences from, to say, the nokia 220 of some years ago and all the other same os same hw feature phone variants.
The S30+ platform in my opinion seems fast and nice for a feature phone, only for a 3310 return I was waiting for some custom os and hw, maybe with same s30+ functions but with a "different" and new concept based on the original. Also the screen, I don't know the sunlight capabilities but I always liked the old reflective/transflective lcd that could be visible also in direct sunlight. I've not yet read about it on this one but I supect the usual trasmissive screen will be there.

Reply 5 of 46, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't ask me, I got my first cell phone in the mid-90s (w/ brand-new SMS feature)! ^^
Btw, does anybody remember/had the Motorola MicroTAC or the Hagenuk MT 900 ?
I heard the MT 2000 was kinda famous for beeing one of the first phones to have a game installed (Tetris).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 46, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:

Hi,
what do you think of the new Nokia 3310 announcement? 😀 Do you like and use retro phone just like computers?
Thank

Until a year and a half ago, I was still using my Nokia 5800. When it died, I acquired a second hand Iphone 4, and when it also died on me a couple of months ago, I got an Iphone 5. Definitely not retro, but not that current either. And I never bought a "latest model" phone or changed it before it totally breaks.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

I don't get why they would make a new 3310. It's not like any of the old 3310s they produced no longer work 😀

Good point. 😀
But when someone told me about this new 3310 was coming out, I could not beleive it. It could have been a good opportunity for a retro newer line of mobile phones different from smartphones concept but also different from the last feature phones of the 2010-2015 years. And the 3310 brand to launch a basic but "perfect" retro-new concept using old ideas to make something "new" imho could have attired lot of old customers and maybe it will but for me to see another S30+ version make me feel the same things of every times I heard about a new S40 phones and they were many.

An idea for me it could have been this: monochrome "high" pixel number with grey shades reflective lcd, custom internal hw power saving oriented, less thin changable case with some impressive durable plastic and a bit more original based, custom os design based on the original concept, some newer feature like music and video (no matter if black white), the original snake, instant startup or shutdown, a big speaker with real tone of the original but also music capabilities, 3G (basic umts or hsdpa) for calls and modem.
I like this one but maybe some people have not seen the phones that already were sold some years ago with the same features as this new model.

Reply 9 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:
386SX wrote:

Hi,
Thank

Until a year and a half ago, I was still using my Nokia 5800. When it died, I acquired a second hand Iphone 4, and when it also died on me a couple of months ago, I got an Iphone 5. Definitely not retro, but not that current either. And I never bought a "latest model" phone or changed it before it totally breaks.

I really liked the 5800 I had too even when resistive touchscreens had their problems to live in the newer smartphones lines. It was a good phone with great shape and right size to be durable and portable. The only problem I remember was the direct sunlight condition when as said trasmissive screens always had their problems in those years.

Reply 10 of 46, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:

I don't get why they would make a new 3310. It's not like any of the old 3310s they produced no longer work 😀

The old GSM network is already near its end of life.
Perhaps it will be shutdown in the next three years or so (~2020, depending where you live).
According to PCWorld, the whole shutdown thing is already in progress..

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2935952/gsm-sw … ed-devices.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2G

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 46, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly, with all the data-plan eating bullshit going on with my Droid Turbo 2, not to mention the jack problems, and what would have happened had I gotten the next Samsung Galaxy model after the 3 or 4 and the battery fires, I'm almost looking into this, not as retro, but just to rid the bullshit that fills my life with this modern tech crap.

The retro-phone thing interests me more on a functional level kind of like how 486's are something I like to use for productivity once in awhile. There's no fuggin' facebook, the fear of locking/slowing the system down with too much bullshit open causes me to FOCUS on what I'm working on rather than getting sidetracked by the 101 things I can have open at a time on my modern box (though I admit I do run my modern PC's a lot like older PC's with Preemptive Multitasking too - probably why I'm still able to get along on a Core 2 while everyone else is moving to i-series CPUs now).

Hoo boy, I feel a rant coming on....

I had a Nokia 5510 for my first cell phone through Net 10 in 2006, I LOVED that phone, loved it, and some dipshit stole it out of my truck while I was changing a flat tire in the apartment parking lot. It ran for days off a single charge, Sammy the snake was perfect waiting room entertainment and did not eat up some $200/mo data plan, and I quite loved the PC-Speaker like Ringtones. When a virus took over my smartphone last month and ate up our entire data plan, the wife threatened an old flip phone - hell, I'd be GLAD to have that back. Plus that means the pain of texting using the numeric keypad gives me an excuse to not have to text shit all day long to people when I am working.

Then there's the fact EVERYTHING is tied to your damn real name, address, and other crap, and getting it removed at times can be impossible at worst and difficult at best. This "full time connected" lifestyle thing really ticks me off and is what is driving me to go back to retro-tech again after all these years. I miss the days when Myspace, Google, and other crap was separate. When I did not HAVE to have a YouTube Account under my own personal name and THEN a second YouTube account for what I really want to do because I don't want certain people to access things that might be controversial or bothersome to certain people in certain contexts. Verizon and their phones and data plans are the apitamy of this. Sure, it's nice I can get a shiny new Droid-blah-blah-blah and all my crap comes over via google, but it's also somewhat disturbing that now I have no excuse for just sitting down and working on it. I can see why the Game of Thrones writer guy uses a 286 and WordStar - hell, I already do my OWN creative writing in Professional Write on a 8088, 286, and 486 (depending on my mood).

- rant off...

Yeah, I'm happy to go back to the days when DOS was an operating system to use, Game Boy was "portable entertainment", and a cell phone was used to CALL people, not constantly guilt them because they won't send you inane texts all day when you should be working.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 13 of 46, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm actually using a nokia 3310 as my only mobile. I have two, a standard 3310(blue) and the white one is a 3330(few small changes, but nothing really significant). I've been down the smart phone route but the crap reliability, battery life and distractions with crap put me off them for life.
I will be buying the new 3310 for it's even better battery life and the camera.
speaking of cameras, mine is a Olympus Camedia C-120 from 2002! 🤣
so yes, I guess I do like my devices retro.

P1010001.JPG
Filename
P1010001.JPG
File size
369.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 14 of 46, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BSA Starfire, me too! I've been using 3310 as my main and only phone for two years now. The first mobile phone I ever held in my hands was my father's 3310. Absolutely loved Space Impact back then!

My previous phone was Nokia 515, crappy but beautiful. Moved to 3310 and the only real drawback was the abscence of camera. I remember the first day I took it with me to work. My mate just bought some incredibly fancy smartphone, but everyone wanted to hold the old 3310 😁

Considering the new 3310, I just don't like it enough to ever buy one.

P1060136.JPG
P1060144.JPG

Reply 15 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSA Starfire wrote:
I'm actually using a nokia 3310 as my only mobile. I have two, a standard 3310(blue) and the white one is a 3330(few small chang […]
Show full quote

I'm actually using a nokia 3310 as my only mobile. I have two, a standard 3310(blue) and the white one is a 3330(few small changes, but nothing really significant). I've been down the smart phone route but the crap reliability, battery life and distractions with crap put me off them for life.
I will be buying the new 3310 for it's even better battery life and the camera.
speaking of cameras, mine is a Olympus Camedia C-120 from 2002! 🤣
so yes, I guess I do like my devices retro.

P1010001.JPG

I understand your point and the previous user one on how modern tech seems not be useful anymore imho. Back in the 2000s I remember smartphones looked like a great advance in mobile possitibilites and when everyone had a gsm phone I loved the way gprs one permitted to connect and use them NOT like a computer replacement but more as a temporary modern agenda, like in the years of 64kb calculator/agenda just more complete...
The big difference imho was that just like desktop pc they were a tech that -added something- to your own lifestyle, not -replaced it- changing it.

Regarding the the new 3310 as said, a nice retro project that is probably not intended to compete with smartphone anyway but a real retro phone with retro technology would be better nowdays. Same things happens with newer cars that use older model names just to remember the original. The original 3310 was a NEW phone that imho reinvented someway the previous way gsm phones was intended. So a better way it should have been to go with custom hw and software to someway clone the original experience. Things that someone will find in the S30+ GUI if it's used to newer operating systems but having used S40 and S30+ os for quiet some time I don't see the big difference for me.

Reply 16 of 46, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote:
Honestly, with all the data-plan eating bullshit going on with my Droid Turbo 2, not to mention the jack problems, and what woul […]
Show full quote

Honestly, with all the data-plan eating bullshit going on with my Droid Turbo 2, not to mention the jack problems, and what would have happened had I gotten the next Samsung Galaxy model after the 3 or 4 and the battery fires, I'm almost looking into this, not as retro, but just to rid the bullshit that fills my life with this modern tech crap.

The retro-phone thing interests me more on a functional level kind of like how 486's are something I like to use for productivity once in awhile. There's no fuggin' facebook, the fear of locking/slowing the system down with too much bullshit open causes me to FOCUS on what I'm working on rather than getting sidetracked by the 101 things I can have open at a time on my modern box (though I admit I do run my modern PC's a lot like older PC's with Preemptive Multitasking too - probably why I'm still able to get along on a Core 2 while everyone else is moving to i-series CPUs now).

I had a Nokia 5510 for my first cell phone through Net 10 in 2006, I LOVED that phone, loved it, and some dipshit stole it out of my truck while I was changing a flat tire in the apartment parking lot. It ran for days off a single charge, Sammy the snake was perfect waiting room entertainment and did not eat up some $200/mo data plan, and I quite loved the PC-Speaker like Ringtones. When a virus took over my smartphone last month and ate up our entire data plan, the wife threatened an old flip phone - hell, I'd be GLAD to have that back. Plus that means the pain of texting using the numeric keypad gives me an excuse to not have to text shit all day long to people when I am working.

Then there's the fact EVERYTHING is tied to your damn real name, address, and other crap, and getting it removed at times can be impossible at worst and difficult at best. This "full time connected" lifestyle thing really ticks me off and is what is driving me to go back to retro-tech again after all these years. I miss the days when Myspace, Google, and other crap was separate. When I did not HAVE to have a YouTube Account under my own personal name and THEN a second YouTube account for what I really want to do because I don't want certain people to access things that might be controversial or bothersome to certain people in certain contexts. Verizon and their phones and data plans are the apitamy of this. Sure, it's nice I can get a shiny new Droid-blah-blah-blah and all my crap comes over via google, but it's also somewhat disturbing that now I have no excuse for just sitting down and working on it. I can see why the Game of Thrones writer guy uses a 286 and WordStar - hell, I already do my OWN creative writing in Professional Write on a 8088, 286, and 486 (depending on my mood).

- rant off...

Yeah, I'm happy to go back to the days when DOS was an operating system to use, Game Boy was "portable entertainment", and a cell phone was used to CALL people, not constantly guilt them because they won't send you inane texts all day when you should be working.

I'm already seeing that it's not "impossible" to live nowdays with only few retro technologies and be happy with it. I imagine for most social nets are the common reason to buy newer tech.
I think too that it was better when single technologies tried to do their best for their single purpose, so a radio or a television had to be the best one and trying to be even better in the next release but only as a radio or a television. Now it seems those technologies try to be like other techs to be competitive (tv as a computer/tablet, tablet as a computer/tv, computer with tablet os like, cellphone as cameras, cameras as smartphone,.).
That's why I think the newer 3310 should have been a REAL retro clone with some more features.

Reply 17 of 46, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
386SX wrote:
I'm already seeing that it's not "impossible" to live nowdays with only few retro technologies and be happy with it. I imagine f […]
Show full quote
creepingnet wrote:
Honestly, with all the data-plan eating bullshit going on with my Droid Turbo 2, not to mention the jack problems, and what woul […]
Show full quote

- rant off...

I'm already seeing that it's not "impossible" to live nowdays with only few retro technologies and be happy with it. I imagine for most social nets are the common reason to buy newer tech.
I think too that it was better when single technologies tried to do their best for their single purpose, so a radio or a television had to be the best one and trying to be even better in the next release but only as a radio or a television. Now it seems those technologies try to be like other techs to be competitive (tv as a computer/tablet, tablet as a computer/tv, computer with tablet os like, cellphone as cameras, cameras as smartphone,.).
That's why I think the newer 3310 should have been a REAL retro clone with some more features.

With Facebook running at a crawl on my Core 2 Duo machine that runs everything else like lightning, I can see why people keep buying newer tech. It seems to me now that newer tech is just a catalyst to be lazy with site development and programming, but I've kinda felt like that for years about everything PC/internet related.

One thing that also bugs me is the redundancy, the older the game/program, the more crap in my house it runs on. If I wanted to, I could turn my Wii into my 386 or older Retro-Computer via DOSBOX.....which will probably be the case sometime down the road, but then considering the longevity of newer electronics, I think the 8088 and 286 are safe and the Wii will probably die sometime in the next 10-15 years. An ARM based Nintendo Wii is just not as durable or robust as an old x86 processor based PC from the 80's.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 18 of 46, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
creepingnet wrote:

One thing that also bugs me is the redundancy, the older the game/program, the more crap in my house it runs on. If I wanted to, I could turn my Wii into my 386 or older Retro-Computer via DOSBOX.....which will probably be the case sometime down the road, [..]

Wait, isn't the Wii going to be a retro console soon ?
My sister already starts to feel nostalgic about the good ol' times we were playing Mario Kart Wii!
Personally, I miss my DS Lite, too. I remember when I played Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Mario Kart on it.

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 46, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
creepingnet wrote:

An ARM based Nintendo Wii is just not as durable or robust as an old x86 processor based PC from the 80's.

The Wii is PowerPC based and is rock solid.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000