Topic actions

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh man...it's like a 2nd Christmas over here:

https://www.gog.com/game/full_throttle_remastered

Been waiting for this one a while, never go to play it back in the day. Gotta love GOG 😁

Reply 1 of 26, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They also got Fate of Atlantis and Last Crusade. They all use ScummVM, but might include the executable in a sub-folder for DOSBox or playing on the real thing. I usually add them to my wishlist and buy in special these days.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like Day of the Tentacle, this is getting a Remastered edition that probably won't use DOSBox or be particularly compatible with ScummVM.

I understood that the DOTT remaster pretty much just had better-quality audio (from the original sources) and graphics smoothed out by some filter or another. I'd expect this would be a similar treatment and nothing more.

It's a neat game, but it's pretty short. And that ending sequence is darn near as awful as the last level of Psychonauts.

Reply 3 of 26, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remastered could be worth the premium, but with these ScummVM releases, I really stopped buying at release date. And the slew of Windows games that are broken has put me off GOG a little as they just let the community fix most of the issues.

Last edited by PhilsComputerLab on 2017-03-15, 22:10. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 26, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please do not mention Meat Circus again. I still have nightmare about it years later. heh

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heard good things about Full Throttle. Didn't play it though, as I always suck at adventure games. How difficult is it?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

How difficult is it?

It's about on par with the other LucasArts games, or maybe slightly easier. Apart from the aforementioned end sequence (which admittedly does make a teensy amount of logical sense and is kind of suspenseful the first half-dozen times you attempt it), one puzzle that often gets a lot of hatred involves kicking a wall at the right spot. There's not quite enough guidance provided to find it without a good amount of excruciating trial and error. I wonder if they intend to fix it?

Reply 7 of 26, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought mine in a DVD box before LucasArts closed down for like 1 or 2 bucks in the supermarket.
They literally had ONLY ONE COPY in the whole bin. The rest was Mahjong and Puzzle games!! JEESH!

The game has a fast pace, I liked the action sequences. I think it was shorter than Monkey Island.
Wasn't this the shortest LucasArts PointNClick?

Reply 8 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

How difficult is it?

It's about on par with the other LucasArts games, or maybe slightly easier.

I hope so. I've been already stumped in Maniac Mansion, and I couldn't finish Monkey Island without the help from my friend who have finished it first.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 9 of 26, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Arctic wrote:

The game has a fast pace, I liked the action sequences. I think it was shorter than Monkey Island.

I think that honor goes to Loom. At least according to howlongtobeat.com

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 10 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:
Arctic wrote:

I think that honor goes to Loom. At least according to howlongtobeat.com

So Loom is a short game, isn't it?

Many adventure games I didn't play. I guess I just suck at adventure/puzzle genre.

Reply 11 of 26, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So Loom is a short game, isn't it?

Apparently it's only about 3 hours long. Most graphic adventures are in the 6-12 hour range for time to complete.

Many adventure games I didn't play. I guess I just suck at adventure/puzzle genre.

For some reason I was never able to get into them myself, back in the day. I like most other genres -- FPS, sports, RPG, space sims -- but I'd usually lose interest within an hour on most graphic adventures. However, this past weekend, my wife agreed to play The Dig with me, and it was more fun having another person to play with, then playing by myself. So maybe that is the key. We got a couple of hours in (it's supposed to be about 7 hrs long), so hopefully we pick it back up next weekend.

Reply 12 of 26, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I don't understand re-masters, other than a way to make more money from an established game. Some might argue they are bringing it to the players who are not comfortable in using workarounds like Dosbox and setting up to play the game. But still...

Anyway, Full Throttle is a nice game, and yes, it's quite short. I have a budget re-release CD. I'm a great fan of DOS point & click adventure games. And Lucasarts made some of the best in this genre.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 26, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Sometimes I don't understand re-masters, other than a way to make more money from an established game. Some might argue they are bringing it to the players who are not comfortable in using workarounds like Dosbox and setting up to play the game. But still...

Anyway, Full Throttle is a nice game, and yes, it's quite short. I have a budget re-release CD. I'm a great fan of DOS point & click adventure games. And Lucasarts made some of the best in this genre.

Well, I actually welcome remakes as long as they offered something new and really good. For instance, I long for Jane's Fighters Anthology remake with OpenGL/Direct3D support. Too bad such remake hasn't existed yet, despite being rumored on VNFAWing website some years ago.

Reply 14 of 26, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heard good things about Full Throttle. Didn't play it though, as I always suck at adventure games. How difficult is it?

I played it a few years ago using SCUMMVM and I think I only used a walkthrough for one part. You needed to walk into the background, which is what I thought I had to do, but I didn't click in the right place. So, it didn't work when I first tried it and I assumed there had to be another solution. Some other parts had me stuck for a while, but I eventually figured them out.

Maybe it's just me, but it seemed like there wasn't as much stuff to interact with as in the earlier Lucasarts games. Maybe it's because the cartoon-like style makes everything bigger, but with this game and Curse of Monkey Island, it seemed like there were only a couple things in each location that you could interact with. It's hard to describe, it just somehow felt more claustrophobic that the earlier pixel-art style games.

There are also a few action scenes, but nothing too difficult, and like many of Lucasarts' games, it's impossible to die or get stuck so that the game is unwinnable.

One thing that kind of surprised me was that it wasn't a straight-forward, modern day biker adventure. It's actually set slightly in the future.

Reply 15 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think my favorite little touch is the knife-game easter egg. I remember Schafer writing about Psychonauts at one point – specifically, how you could use the "point of view" power on so many different characters and get a different view of Raz almost every time – and how throwing in these bits, pointless as they may be, serves to earn the player's trust and enhance the experience.

Reply 16 of 26, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first thing which struck me as different in this game was in the beginning when you pull the bartender head by his nose ring and slam it on the bar table. It made me say "wow"... and made a point that no one should mess with the protagonist in this game. I can't recall any other adventure game (at that time) which gave so much authority over non player characters.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 17 of 26, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Turns out I work with the brother of the guy that did the art for this remake. He approached me at work a few months back and asked me if I ever heard of Full Throttle, and was showing me texts his brother sent of the art he was doing. I don't think he realized how important Full Throttle is. I had to explain it to him for 30 minutes how the game is pretty much a staple of old PC games.

Reply 18 of 26, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jforrest1980 wrote:

and was showing me texts his brother sent of the art he was doing.

There's new art? I guess it's a more significant update than DOTT, then.

Reply 19 of 26, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
jforrest1980 wrote:

and was showing me texts his brother sent of the art he was doing.

There's new art? I guess it's a more significant update than DOTT, then.

...our first look at the remastered Full Throttle, which promises “new hand-drawn and 3D high-resolution artwork, with remastered audio and music.” The game will be playable at PSX 2016, Double Fine revealed.

Full Throttle Remastered will let players switch between classic and remastered modes, with the ability to mix and match audio, graphics and UI.

source: http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/2/13820024/ful … -fine-lucasarts