VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm new to ordering retro computer parts overseas and wanted to ask for some advice. I'm wanting to purchase a bare OEM socket 7 chip from a UK seller. The chip itself is only $20 but shipping would be almost $25. Does that seem right or are they overcharging? It doesn't seem like a tiny bare chip should cost that much but I've no experience ordering retro computer parts overseas. Any advice on negotiating a better shipping rate, if it is overpriced? Thanks

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 1 of 5, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
simbin wrote:

I'm new to ordering retro computer parts overseas and wanted to ask for some advice. I'm wanting to purchase a bare OEM socket 7 chip from a UK seller. The chip itself is only $20 but shipping would be almost $25. Does that seem right or are they overcharging? It doesn't seem like a tiny bare chip should cost that much but I've no experience ordering retro computer parts overseas. Any advice on negotiating a better shipping rate, if it is overpriced? Thanks

I paid $45 for shipping two Pentium Pro Overdrive CPUs with FedEx from the US to Sweden. The package got stuck in customs so I also had to pay Swedish VAT (25%) on both the cost for the CPUs and the shipping and also a ~$20 administrative fee.

The CPUs ended up beeing very expensive.

From what I have heard US buyers dont have to worry about customs fees for small things like old CPUs though. Cheaper shipping in this case would probably be with Royal Mail, a bare Socket 7 CPU sent as an untracked letter should cost less than £5 to ship... I think.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 5, by simbin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow, that's insane about the Pentium Pros. I've heard others talk about their packages getting stuck in customs but nothing like that. It's almost like they held your package for ransom.

The seller quoted me the cost of shipping plus post through Royal Mail. The £5 you mentioned is about what I figured it should cost. Even sent as a small parcel with insurance and signature verification, $25 still seems overboard.

I'm wondering how to go about requesting a lower shipping rate without annoying the seller too much.

WIP: 486DX2/66, 16MB FastPage RAM, TsengLabs ET4000 VLB
Check out my Retro-Ghetto build (2016 Update) 😀
Commodore 128D, iBook G3 "Clamshell"
3DO M2, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, NES, SNES, N64, GBC

Reply 3 of 5, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
simbin wrote:

Did the seller use ebay's notorious GSP? Since ebay enforced GSP program, many small items have outrageous S/H cost. 😵

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 5, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I stopped buying from eBay sellers with Global Shipping Program contracted to Pitney Bowes. They charge me the non-existent "import charges". Malaysia is one of the countries that have 0% import charges for computer related items. I ordered a XMG Schenker laptop for about $2k from Germany directly from XMG. There were no import charges in Malaysia.

I only buy from US if they use USPS directly.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 5 of 5, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shipping that same CPU to the UK via USPS would be over $30 (as long as its under 4lbs)! People like to complain about GSP and high shipping charges, its really not much different then shipping direct via USPS. USPS only does air mail internationally and it isn't cheap at all.