VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just found out about the Voltera PCB printer. That's pretty awesome because it might mean we could just print our own ISA cards or wavetable boards, or just about anything. It's insanely expensive right now though.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 1 of 7, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Wouldn't you require the design of the old cards for that to work. I can imagine most companies either don't have thoseen designs anymore or are unwilling to give them out for free presumed if it's digital material . Other than that sounds Interesting (anyone up for printing V5 6k?)

Reply 2 of 7, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Printing is but only a part of the job. Does this printer also solder parts in place? And can it do multi layer pcb's? Ether way I may buy one if the price is right.

Reply 4 of 7, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:

Printing is but only a part of the job. Does this printer also solder parts in place? And can it do multi layer pcb's? Ether way I may buy one if the price is right.

It only does two layer, but it can do reflow soldering. I'm guessing you have to place components by hand. As for the price, it's a big fat noooope. I think it's 2200 USD.

Yeah, being able to print a V5 would be nice, but that looks like a very complex board, and I doubt chips are available. I was thinking maybe more modern designs. One reason I won't upgrade from my AWE32 to an AWE64 is I like having simm slots. If I could just print an expansion board that would be awesome.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 5 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

$2200 for an arbitrary-circuit one-off printer doesn't sound like a huge amount of money. I could totally see local hacker/makerspaces getting grabbing these by the truckload. (...like the one I'm a member of that I haven't even been up to in a year. I need to get my ass up there & get some of my projects going.) I believe "big" 3D printers are in the same ballpark and tons of spaces have those.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 6 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is also the first one too. if enough people get aboard (ba dum tish), the price will drop and the quality will improve.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 7 of 7, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

$2200?
You can order PCBs from some cheap Chinese online stores for less than $1 a piece:
https://www.itead.cc/open-pcb/pcb-prototyping.html
https://www.seeedstudio.com/fusion.html

Of course the quality of those boards is not the best possible but should be good enough for your own projects.
And if you absolutely want to make your own PCBs there are cheaper ways to do it.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42